Technology problem with MP3s

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

policymaker

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have these MP3s that play fine on my computer, but I can't seem to burn them onto a CD or transfer them to my mp3 player. I'm thinking it might have something to do with the format of the mp3 files, but my diagnosis might be way off. Has this ever happened to anyone? How do I fix it?

Members don't see this ad.

policymaker said:
I have these MP3s that play fine on my computer, but I can't seem to burn them onto a CD or transfer them to my mp3 player. I'm thinking it might have something to do with the format of the mp3 files, but my diagnosis might be way off. Has this ever happened to anyone? How do I fix it?

If these are files you got off something like iTunes, you have to use iTunes to make the CD. You can't use a different program like Nero to make a CD with protected audio.

Let me know where you got them, how you are trying to burn them, and the specifics of the resulting problem....then maybe I can help more.

heldicus said:
If these are files you got off something like iTunes, you have to use iTunes to make the CD. You can't use a different program like Nero to make a CD with protected audio.

Let me know where you got them, how you are trying to burn them, and the specifics of the resulting problem....then maybe I can help more.

Thank you heldicus. They're mp3s I got off a CD I got from my friend. It was not an audio CD; it had folders and files like a disk. I had no trouble transfering the mp3s to my computer. To get them on my mp3 player, I used the Audio Manager program that came with the player; it showed that the files were uploaded, but I couldn't play them. I also tried making an audio CD out of the mp3s using Window's Media Player, but I kept getting these errors. I don't have the CD burner anymore, so I'm sorry I can't be more specific about what type of errors I kept getting.

Does this help? All I want to do is get the mp3s on something portable so I can listen to them on the go. Any help you can give me would be great.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well it's tough to comment on burning the CD without knowing the error messages. As for your MP3 player, with most devices you can't upload a "folder" structure...you need to upload the song files themselves. After transferring to your MP3 player, are they visible on the unit's display? Are you sure these files are MP3, and not WMA or AAC, etc. It's possible that your player just doesn't support whatever format they are....but your computer would have no problem with them. Right click on a file and look at its properties in order to find out.

Hmm this is turning out to be harder than I thought. It's not worth this much trouble, I give up. Thank you anyway.

heldicus said:
Well it's tough to comment on burning the CD without knowing the error messages. As for your MP3 player, with most devices you can't upload a "folder" structure...you need to upload the song files themselves. After transferring to your MP3 player, are they visible on the unit's display? Are you sure these files are MP3, and not WMA or AAC, etc. It's possible that your player just doesn't support whatever format they are....but your computer would have no problem with them. Right click on a file and look at its properties in order to find out.

Heldicus (or anyone else that can help), hopefully you're still checking in to this topic - I would like to continue the discussion as you seem to know what you're talking about. I am having the exact same problem as policymaker, having done the exact same things as he/she. Some info:

- I am indeed uploading the song files themselves
- After transferring to my iRiver mp3 player, they are visible on the display but when I try to play the file, it skips over it and won't play it
- Tried using dbpoweramp file converter software to convert between file types, but I get the error message that the original file 'cannot be opened'
- I'm assuming the player doesn't support the format they're in, but right-clicking the files' properties says that they are windows media player file type and the file's extension is .mp3, all of which are supported by my player. In addition, dbpoweramp software says the file type is MPEG-3 audio, further confusing me.

Perhaps there is some kind of lock code written into the audio file . . . not sure since I'm not versed in more in-depth conversion stuff, etc.
Thanks in advance . . . any help is greatly appreciated.

Some MP3 players aren't designed to handle bitrates outside of a certain range, i.e., some can only handle 64-192 kbps MP3s. If you right-click on the MP3 properties, what does it say the bitrate is?

Also, there's different kinds of bitrates: constant bitrate (CBR), variable bitrate (VBR), and average bitrate (VBR). If you play these in Winamp (or many other players), you can see that the number "jumps around" a lot if it's VBR or ABR...it's higher at more complicated parts of the song and lower at less complicated parts. That way you're not wasting space if there's silence, for example.

I really have no idea what the problem is with your players, especially since they play fine on your computers and they aren't copy-protected. My only guess is it's a bitrate issue. Look in the technical specificatoins of your user manual, and maybe it'll say what your player can handle.

In addition, dbpoweramp software says the file type is MPEG-3 audio, further confusing me.
MP3 just stands for MPEG 1, layer 3 audio. That's what it is. :)

Dallenoff said:
Some MP3 players aren't designed to handle bitrates outside of a certain range, i.e., some can only handle 64-192 kbps MP3s. If you right-click on the MP3 properties, what does it say the bitrate is?

Also, there's different kinds of bitrates: constant bitrate (CBR), variable bitrate (VBR), and average bitrate (VBR). If you play these in Winamp (or many other players), you can see that the number "jumps around" a lot if it's VBR or ABR...it's higher at more complicated parts of the song and lower at less complicated parts. That way you're not wasting space if there's silence, for example.

I really have no idea what the problem is with your players, especially since they play fine on your computers and they aren't copy-protected. My only guess is it's a bitrate issue. Look in the technical specificatoins of your user manual, and maybe it'll say what your player can handle.

MP3 just stands for MPEG 1, layer 3 audio. That's what it is. :)

I had checked the user manual of my iRiver and the file bitrate is indeed within its range (player supports 8-320 Kbps; file is 24Kbps). I believe we're talking VBR.

In addition, I tried to transfer the files to my Axim x50v using simple Windows Explorer, dbpoweramp, and even Windows Media Player. I received the following similar message:

An error occurred: Windows Media Player cannot play the specified file. Your portable device does not support the specified format.
Length: 49.26
Type: mp3 (I am sure the Axim supports mp3)
Bit Rate: 24 Kbps (again, within range of both the iRiver or Axim)
Size: 8.48 MB (there is easily enough space on my devices and/or my formatted SD card)
Audio codec: MPEG Audio Decoder
License details: none (I assume no copy-protection issues then)

This is extremely frustrating, given that time is of the essence and the audio is Boards related material. Thanks for the input Dallenoff and thanks in advance to anyone else with input . . .

BTW, I know MP3 just stands for MPEG 1, layer 3 audio. :laugh: I just didn't explain myself well and must have seemed a dolt . . .

I'm baffled. Maybe it's the long length of the individual file that's giving your player fits. 49 minutes, right? I dunno, just a thought. For clarity's sake...this file will play in Windows Media Player on your PC, just not on your handheld? You could try installing GS Player on your axim. That's what a lot of people use for their music since it will power off the LCD and save battery. Maybe that will open your mystery file.

If you can upload it somewhere I'd be happy to download it and tell you if it hassles me.