Problems with Dentist LOR

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

minimoogle

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys I'm an undergrad at UCLA. MY issue is that I shadowed in Winter and Spring of 2012, but never felt really comfortable not because of the context of the work, but because I always felt like the dentists I worked with (mother and daughter) didn't really respect my time there. I helped out, really hit it off with their assistant, whom I spent most of my time with, and then when they hired an additional assistant they gave me less and less things to do, and whenever I just "shadowed", they always preferred I do something useful. However I did do about 50 hours with them, most of which went swimmingly.

So I took abut 8 months off to do research and get involved in all the EC's i never did before transferring from CC, and now with everything winding down and applying this coming cycle, I call and they either don't remember me or don't want me back.

I'm definitely going to show up in person to refresh their memory (even though the assistant remembered me over the phone) and if they don't want me back I'll ask for a LOR.

Did I waste this opportunity? Anyone had this experience? These were my aunt's dentists, and I also called t shadow my own dentist but dont know if he'll take me and even so if I'll have enough time and leverage to get an LOR out of him.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi guys I'm an undergrad at UCLA. MY issue is that I shadowed in Winter and Spring of 2012, but never felt really comfortable not because of the context of the work, but because I always felt like the dentists I worked with (mother and daughter) didn't really respect my time there. I helped out, really hit it off with their assistant, whom I spent most of my time with, and then when they hired an additional assistant they gave me less and less things to do, and whenever I just "shadowed", they always preferred I do something useful. However I did do about 50 hours with them, most of which went swimmingly.

So I took abut 8 months off to do research and get involved in all the EC's i never did before transferring from CC, and now with everything winding down and applying this coming cycle, I call and they either don't remember me or don't want me back.

I'm definitely going to show up in person to refresh their memory (even though the assistant remembered me over the phone) and if they don't want me back I'll ask for a LOR.

Did I waste this opportunity? Anyone had this experience? These were my aunt's dentists, and I also called t shadow my own dentist but dont know if he'll take me and even so if I'll have enough time and leverage to get an LOR out of him.
I would definitely not be using this office for a LOR. All you need to get from them is something saying you did the hours. But you did wait 8 months. That might be too much time for them to remember your exact hours. I would get a LOR from a professor or another dentist that you know....but do not use them for a LOR. They don't remember you! It won't come out well.

I don't know what part of LA you're in but since you're going to UCLA you must not be far form Santa Monica. When I was living in LA I got involved with the Venice Family Clinic and volunteered as an assistant. If I remember correctly it's on 25th and Pico. The dentist is awesome and it's really great to give a helping hand...plus it's a new office!

I don't know how much time you have, but just as Upperbyte said, I would not ask for a LOR from that office.

I hope you get it figured out!