1. SDN Mobile is now free on iTunes and on the Google Play Store. Enjoy!
    Dismiss Notice

problems with pa, etcs.

Discussion in 'Clinical Rotations' started by doc05, Apr 29, 2004.

1. doc05

doc05 2K Member
    15+ Year Member

with the abundance of pa's, nps, crnas, etc out there, does anyone find a problem w/regard to clinical rotations? impaired educational opportunities? less to do on the wards?

2. DocWagner

DocWagner Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    As I teach and guide the medical students at our institutions, I find that the PA's/NP's don't want the same acuity of patient that the medical student may want. I do see problems with CRNA's as they simply DO NOT wish to teach medical students how to intubate during the anesthesiology rotations they typically say "this is not a good learning case" "this may be too difficult" etc...almost like they read from a script.
    No medical student should EVER have trouble finding WORK if they look in the right places...ask any medical student that rotates with me...there is ALWAYS a foley to do or perhaps some chest compressions maybe even an ABG!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Teufelhunden

Teufelhunden 1K Member
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    When I was on anesthesia, CRNAs ran the show...and there were CRNA students there as well. Basically, the CRNA students supposedly had priority over medical students with regard to procedures, intubations, etc.

I got to do very little intubations as a result. I can't even count how many times I was pushed aside: "We have to let the CRNA student do this one."

It sucked.

4. OP
    OP
    doc05

doc05 2K Member
    15+ Year Member

bump------