1. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

problems with pa, etcs.

Discussion in 'Clinical Rotations' started by doc05, Apr 29, 2004.

1. doc05

doc05 2K Member
    15+ Year Member

with the abundance of pa's, nps, crnas, etc out there, does anyone find a problem w/regard to clinical rotations? impaired educational opportunities? less to do on the wards?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. DocWagner

DocWagner Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    As I teach and guide the medical students at our institutions, I find that the PA's/NP's don't want the same acuity of patient that the medical student may want. I do see problems with CRNA's as they simply DO NOT wish to teach medical students how to intubate during the anesthesiology rotations they typically say "this is not a good learning case" "this may be too difficult" etc...almost like they read from a script.
    No medical student should EVER have trouble finding WORK if they look in the right places...ask any medical student that rotates with me...there is ALWAYS a foley to do or perhaps some chest compressions maybe even an ABG!

4. Teufelhunden

Teufelhunden 1K Member
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    When I was on anesthesia, CRNAs ran the show...and there were CRNA students there as well. Basically, the CRNA students supposedly had priority over medical students with regard to procedures, intubations, etc.

I got to do very little intubations as a result. I can't even count how many times I was pushed aside: "We have to let the CRNA student do this one."

It sucked.

5. doc05

doc05 2K Member
    15+ Year Member

bump------