Procedural Totals

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

free99

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Graduating in a couple weeks, figured I'd tally up how many of each procedure I did over my two years in clinic at Buffalo.

Totals:
Crowns - 10 (8 natural teeth, 1 bridge)
Endo - 3 teeth (2 premolars, 1 molar - 7 canals)
Arches of complete dentures - 7 total (4 interim arches, 3 definitive arches)
Arches of RPDs - 2 (both cast base definitives)
Extractions - 92 total (51 in school, 41 on service trips)
Operative - 84 total (didn't feel like breaking down into # of surfaces/adult vs kid)
Core build-ups with pins or post - 5
SSCs - 2
Crown lengthening - 1
Prophys - more than I'd like to count

Has anyone else done this? How do these numbers compare to your schools? I really have no idea how other schools compare, very curious.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
Saw this image floating around SDN

total.png

Then again they're a bit more expensive than we are. Either way, wonderful numbers.

Reactions: 1 user
Michigan gave these numbers out in a presentation during interviews this fall.
Class of 2017 average for adult patients in the dental school. Does not include outreach experiences and other external rotations.

• Amalgam (silver) fillings: 15
• Resin (white) fillings: 88
• Single crowns: 11
• Bridge units: 3
• Implant crowns: 2
• Root canals: 3 teeth/6 canals
• Partial dentures: 3 units
• Complete dentures: 6 units
• Periodontal scaling: 20 quadrants
• Extractions: 68 simple, 16 complex

Michigan also does 9 weeks of outreach in clinics throughout the state in D4. The curriculum is expanding that number to 12 weeks in 2018.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just have a 2 weeks left of clinic but I totaled mine up just the other day.

Direct restorations (not including pediatric - we don't track those): 91 (including buildups, prefab post/core)
Indirect restorations: 17 (all full coverage except 2 onlays, 1 3 unit bridge - no veneers)
1 implant crown, we cannot place the implant (perio and OMFS fighting over cases as it is).
1 occlusal equilibration
3 TMD occlusal guards (made in CR w/ anterior ramp)

No pediatric SSC or pulpotomies

Removable:
-10 arches traditional complete dentures
-4 arches implant-assisted mandibular CDs
-2 arches immediate
-2 arches cast RPD

Endo: 8 total (a limit set by our school). 5 single canal teeth, 2 2-canal max premolars, 1 3-canal mandibular 2nd molar. No retreats, no internal bleaching.

Surgery:
-200ish extractions. 61 done in the school clinic, 34 done at the hospital on OMFS rotation, and more than 100 done at a rural hospital on rotation. 4 full bony max 3rds, 2 partial bony mand 3rds. Also did a lot at the 3 Missions of Mercy we had during my 4 years.
-14 arches alveoloplasty
-4 lingual tori
-1 tuberosity reduction
-3 incision and drainage
-1 crown lengthening
-1 accidental sinus augmentation
-0 biopsies
-0 socket preservation

28 quads sc/rp. Only a handful of prophys.

I think anyone else from LSU would agree that this is pretty typical for our clinic experiences. I would say I've definitely done more surgery and removable than what is typical, but a lot less fixed than my classmates.

It's crazy how little education we get in some areas in dental school now - and the cost keeps going up! There's a reason so many people end up doing GPR/AEGD now. I know people from big name schools are getting out doing less than 30 restorations, and I've spoken to two people who did their first Class II restoration during boards.

I went to Pitt - class of 2013 - and I thought we were pretty decent, with some exceptions, our requirements were 80 restorations, 6 arches of complete dentures, 3 arches of RPD, 6 Endos (everyone ended up doing an extracted molar for the molar requirement), 6 crowns (a frustratingly low number, but it was so hard to come by), 1 Implant crown, like 30-50 Extractions (though much of the time an OS resident takes over the second it gets mildly difficult, and you better not even think about wanting to section a tooth!), and a bunch of other random stuff. I didn't do a single SSC / Pulp in dental school, and I did two restorations on primary teeth... yeah.

In residency though, I did a few hundred restorations, 100-200 extractions, 30 Molar Endo, 20 other endo, 30+ Dentures and RPD's, probably 10-20 crowns, and 2 bridges - that kind of experience would have been awesome in dental school, but its just very hard to come by now.

I always tell applicants to my residency program that Dental School gives you the tool box and basic skills you need to figure the other stuff out. Sadly though, things are just constantly decreasing, and we're getting less and less experience.

***Rant End***

Reactions: 4 users
It's crazy how little education we get in some areas in dental school now - and the cost keeps going up! There's a reason so many people end up doing GPR/AEGD now. I know people from big name schools are getting out doing less than 30 restorations, and I've spoken to two people who did their first Class II restoration during boards.

I went to Pitt - class of 2013 - and I thought we were pretty decent, with some exceptions, our requirements were 80 restorations, 6 arches of complete dentures, 3 arches of RPD, 6 Endos (everyone ended up doing an extracted molar for the molar requirement), 6 crowns (a frustratingly low number, but it was so hard to come by), 1 Implant crown, like 30-50 Extractions (though much of the time an OS resident takes over the second it gets mildly difficult, and you better not even think about wanting to section a tooth!), and a bunch of other random stuff. I didn't do a single SSC / Pulp in dental school, and I did two restorations on primary teeth... yeah.

In residency though, I did a few hundred restorations, 100-200 extractions, 30 Molar Endo, 20 other endo, 30+ Dentures and RPD's, probably 10-20 crowns, and 2 bridges - that kind of experience would have been awesome in dental school, but its just very hard to come by now.

I always tell applicants to my residency program that Dental School gives you the tool box and basic skills you need to figure the other stuff out. Sadly though, things are just constantly decreasing, and we're getting less and less experience.

***Rant End***

What residency did you attend to get those numbers? sounds like a well rounded one. 30 molar endo? sign me up.

The residency I now run, NYU/L AEGD in Visalia, CA with Family HealthCare Network. We're very endo heavy, my resident last year did 97 endos, about 50 of which were molars. I think my current resident is also on track for something similar, she's got about 5-6 rct's scheduled a week, sometimes she's working on 3 a day.

The residency I now run, NYU/L AEGD in Visalia, CA with Family HealthCare Network. We're very endo heavy, my resident last year did 97 endos, about 50 of which were molars. I think my current resident is also on track for something similar, she's got about 5-6 rct's scheduled a week, sometimes she's working on 3 a day.

Must have really believed in it to pick up the torch and run the show. I talked to a director recently of a VA program up here near NYC and hes been running his program for 20 years since he went through it himself. Always found stories such as your self and him interesting since ultimately, I would like to teach down the line.

I know I just started looking up programs for my cycle this year, but I haven't come across a program like yours that is so exo/endo/removable heavy. Hows the implant experience?

Sounds pretty similar to what I did in school.

I did a tally of extractions at my current job which totals about 3.5 years, and I have done over 3100 of them. I don't know how many i did in my two years of working at Aspen Dental, but I did a ton.

Oh for sure, I loved this program, and it turned me into the dentist I am today. Being in community health has you seeing all sorts of stuff that makes you think outside the box. Every program has pros and cons - Extractions / a lot of removable / fills / RCT's / Anterior Crowns are free for most of our patients, and that's how we do so much, we have tons of patients. Unfortunately, since we have so many patients that need so much other treatment, our health center doesn't quite see it as necessary to the mission to be doing implants, and so it's not something we offer.

Meanwhile at Tufts half the seniors cant graduate because they cant find a single endo canal >_<

Do you think that after doing x amount of procedures, that it becomes redundant and you've gotten as much out of that procedure under the academic setting?

I'm always concerned about pre-doctoral students that have done a ton of procedures under an academic setting to the point where they essentially take what their school taught them to heart (which more often than not, tends to be a slower and more inefficient way) and have a hard time seeing beyond what they are used to in the academic setting.

Reactions: 1 users
Since y'all got me jealous, I roughly did the numbers during my 2 years in clinic at UTHSCSA:

Fixed: 31 (Includes FDPs, implant supported, natural teeth, both conventional PVS impression technique and digital submission)

Removable: 12 arches (CD/CD. CD/RPD, Immediate CD)

Restorative: 100+ (Build ups, multiple surfaces, post/core)

Ext: 100+ (Simple/surgical with or without socket preservation)

Endo: 4 (Anterior single root)

Implantations: 1

SC/RP: 25+ quads

Perio: 4 quads alveloplasty/tori removal

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Mine:

Fixed - 15
Endo - 21 canals finished start to end - 7 teeth finished + 3 teeth (3 molars 10 canals) done but not obturated (finished - 4 molars (1 upper 2nd molar with MB2, 2 lower 1st molars, 1 lower 2nd molar, 1 incisor, 2 premolars)
Arches of complete dentures - 9 total
Arches of RPDs - 11
Extractions - 70ish, 10ish surgicals
Operative - 100ish? total
Core build-ups with pins or post - 5
SSCs - 2
Intravenous sedation (cannulate + sedate patient) - 7

I graduated with only doing 4 live patient crowns. let's just say thank heaven for GPR.

Anyone from Upenn care to comment?
How are the numbers for the typical student at Upenn?
thanks.

Recent grad about to transition into practice:

Direct Restorative: About 140+ (Class I, II, III, IV, V, and B/Us; About 95% composite)
Single-unit crowns: 32 (Mostly PFM, with some E-max and Zirconia)
Complete dentures: 8 arches (all steps completed) + 7 arches (final impression and wax try-in completed; esthetic try-in, delivery, and adjustment done by someone else)
RPD: 3 arches (all steps completed) + 3 arches (design, rest seats, and final impression completed; other steps performed by someone else)
Implants: 2
Bridge: 4 (had to give a bunch away to help other people graduate)
Extractions: About 120+ (about 20+ surgicals); [Our class highest record: 360+]
Alveoloplasties: 7 arches
Endos: 6 live teeth (anteriors and premolars) + 5 extracted teeth (first and second molars); [Our class highest record: 160+]
Pulpotomies w/ SSCs: 3
Hygiene (SRP/Prophies/Perio Maintenance): About 150+ (kind of wish our school had a hygiene program so dental students can focus on more complicated procedures)

Last edited:

Direct Restorative: About 140+ (Class I, II, III, IV, V, and B/Us; About 95% composite)
Complete dentures: 8 arches (all steps completed) + 7 arches (final impression and wax try-in completed; esthetic try-in, delivery, and adjustment done by someone else)
RPD: 3 arches (all steps completed) + 3 arches (design, rest seats, and final impression completed; other steps performed by someone else)
Endos: 6 live teeth (anteriors and premolars) + 5 extracted teeth (first and second molars); [Our class highest record: 160+]
Hygiene (SRP/Prophies/Perio Maintenance): About 150+ (kind of wish our school had a hygiene program so dental students can focus on more complicated procedures)
These numbers are nice. What school?
Also, how is it possible one had 25x the number of RCT you had?! That level of variability is extreme.

These numbers are nice. What school?
Also, how is it possible one had 25x the number of RCT you had?! That level of variability is extreme.
Check your inbox on which school.

The guy in my class who did 160+ endos finished 95% of his other competencies and requirements by the second trimester of D3 and, therefore, concentrated on doing first/second molar endos and other complicated endo procedures (apicoectomies, retrofills, transplantations, and other endo surgeries) from the last trimester of D3 until end of D4

Reactions: 1 users
LECOM grad

Totals:
Crowns - 7 crowns, one bridge
Endo - 21 teeth (10 molars and two retreats)
Arches of complete dentures - 8 total
Arches of RPDs - 4 total
Extractions - about 100
Operative - idk how many but probably around 150.
Post/Core - about 10
SSCs - 1
Crown lengthening - 1
Prophys - everyday...

Message me what school this is if you don't mind

Finishing up D3 year at Alabama.

Totals:
Crowns - 18 (7 single natural teeth, 2 bridge, 4 implant) + waiting for crowns cementation on 5 natural teeth
Endo - 5 teeth (2 premolars, 3 maxillary anteriors - 5 canals)
Arches of complete dentures - 5 total (2 interim arches, 2 definitive arches, 1 combo to RPD)
Arches of RPDs - 2 (cast base definitives)
Extractions - 58 total (58 in school)
Operative - 78 total + 6 chairside composite veneers
Core build-ups with pins or post - 4
Core build-ups without pins or post - 11
ScRPs - 13 quads
Prophys - 35

Since y'all got me jealous, I roughly did the numbers during my 2 years in clinic at UTHSCSA:

Fixed: 31 (Includes FDPs, implant supported, natural teeth, both conventional PVS impression technique and digital submission)

Removable: 12 arches (CD/CD. CD/RPD, Immediate CD)

Restorative: 100+ (Build ups, multiple surfaces, post/core)

Ext: 100+ (Simple/surgical with or without socket preservation)

Endo: 4 (Anterior single root)

Implantations: 1

SC/RP: 25+ quads

Perio: 4 quads alveloplasty/tori removal

That's a very impression count. :)

Message me what school this is if you don't mind
I think how many cases you do is more student-dependent, rather than school-dependent. I am curious though. When you say two implants, are these placements or restorations?

Copying from another thread to consolidate the info:

Without mentioning my school, I think our average numbers are close to

Complete Dentures + RPD - 10 Arches
RCT - at least one single canal tooth (crazy I know)
Crowns - usually around 10-15
2 X implant restorations (not placement)
4X digital designed crowns
0 veneers
1 splint
1 Bridge (not a big deal if you don't)
encouraged to have 1 inlay/onlay (which people usually combine as a digital componend)
No number of extractions, some see a lot others see very few.
Direct restorations (I think avergae around graduation is likley ~120, but that doesn't include the ones done when on external rotations (4/8 weeks)