Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Procedural Totals

Discussion in 'Dental' started by free99, Apr 14, 2018.

1. free99

Dental Student
    Graduating in a couple weeks, figured I'd tally up how many of each procedure I did over my two years in clinic at Buffalo.

Totals:
    Crowns - 10 (8 natural teeth, 1 bridge)
    Endo - 3 teeth (2 premolars, 1 molar - 7 canals)
    Arches of complete dentures - 7 total (4 interim arches, 3 definitive arches)
    Arches of RPDs - 2 (both cast base definitives)
    Extractions - 92 total (51 in school, 41 on service trips)
    Operative - 84 total (didn't feel like breaking down into # of surfaces/adult vs kid)
    Core build-ups with pins or post - 5
    SSCs - 2
    Crown lengthening - 1
    Prophys - more than I'd like to count

Has anyone else done this? How do these numbers compare to your schools? I really have no idea how other schools compare, very curious.

DMD.DDS.2016, Advance and schmoob like this.
  2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Faux

Dental Student
    Saw this image floating around SDN

[​IMG]

Then again they're a bit more expensive than we are. Either way, wonderful numbers.

free99 likes this.
  4. Wolfbarker

Michigan gave these numbers out in a presentation during interviews this fall.
    Class of 2017 average for adult patients in the dental school. Does not include outreach experiences and other external rotations.

• Amalgam (silver) fillings: 15
    • Resin (white) fillings: 88
    • Single crowns: 11
    • Bridge units: 3
    • Implant crowns: 2
    • Root canals: 3 teeth/6 canals
    • Partial dentures: 3 units
    • Complete dentures: 6 units
    • Periodontal scaling: 20 quadrants
    • Extractions: 68 simple, 16 complex

Michigan also does 9 weeks of outreach in clinics throughout the state in D4. The curriculum is expanding that number to 12 weeks in 2018.

free99 likes this.
  5. THS

THS Articulating Disc Jockey

Dental Student
    I just have a 2 weeks left of clinic but I totaled mine up just the other day.

Direct restorations (not including pediatric - we don't track those): 91 (including buildups, prefab post/core)
    Indirect restorations: 17 (all full coverage except 2 onlays, 1 3 unit bridge - no veneers)
    1 implant crown, we cannot place the implant (perio and OMFS fighting over cases as it is).
    1 occlusal equilibration
    3 TMD occlusal guards (made in CR w/ anterior ramp)

No pediatric SSC or pulpotomies

Removable:
    -10 arches traditional complete dentures
    -4 arches implant-assisted mandibular CDs
    -2 arches immediate
    -2 arches cast RPD

Endo: 8 total (a limit set by our school). 5 single canal teeth, 2 2-canal max premolars, 1 3-canal mandibular 2nd molar. No retreats, no internal bleaching.

Surgery:
    -200ish extractions. 61 done in the school clinic, 34 done at the hospital on OMFS rotation, and more than 100 done at a rural hospital on rotation. 4 full bony max 3rds, 2 partial bony mand 3rds. Also did a lot at the 3 Missions of Mercy we had during my 4 years.
    -14 arches alveoloplasty
    -4 lingual tori
    -1 tuberosity reduction
    -3 incision and drainage
    -1 crown lengthening
    -1 accidental sinus augmentation
    -0 biopsies
    -0 socket preservation

28 quads sc/rp. Only a handful of prophys.

I think anyone else from LSU would agree that this is pretty typical for our clinic experiences. I would say I've definitely done more surgery and removable than what is typical, but a lot less fixed than my classmates.

6. Vicviper

Vicviper Steve McAwesome
    Dentist Faculty

Dentist
    It's crazy how little education we get in some areas in dental school now - and the cost keeps going up! There's a reason so many people end up doing GPR/AEGD now. I know people from big name schools are getting out doing less than 30 restorations, and I've spoken to two people who did their first Class II restoration during boards.

I went to Pitt - class of 2013 - and I thought we were pretty decent, with some exceptions, our requirements were 80 restorations, 6 arches of complete dentures, 3 arches of RPD, 6 Endos (everyone ended up doing an extracted molar for the molar requirement), 6 crowns (a frustratingly low number, but it was so hard to come by), 1 Implant crown, like 30-50 Extractions (though much of the time an OS resident takes over the second it gets mildly difficult, and you better not even think about wanting to section a tooth!), and a bunch of other random stuff. I didn't do a single SSC / Pulp in dental school, and I did two restorations on primary teeth... yeah.

In residency though, I did a few hundred restorations, 100-200 extractions, 30 Molar Endo, 20 other endo, 30+ Dentures and RPD's, probably 10-20 crowns, and 2 bridges - that kind of experience would have been awesome in dental school, but its just very hard to come by now.

I always tell applicants to my residency program that Dental School gives you the tool box and basic skills you need to figure the other stuff out. Sadly though, things are just constantly decreasing, and we're getting less and less experience.

***Rant End***

7. Faux

Dental Student
    What residency did you attend to get those numbers? sounds like a well rounded one. 30 molar endo? sign me up.

PreDentTechySon likes this.
  8. Vicviper

Vicviper Steve McAwesome
    Dentist Faculty

Dentist
    The residency I now run, NYU/L AEGD in Visalia, CA with Family HealthCare Network. We're very endo heavy, my resident last year did 97 endos, about 50 of which were molars. I think my current resident is also on track for something similar, she's got about 5-6 rct's scheduled a week, sometimes she's working on 3 a day.

free99 likes this.
  9. Faux

Dental Student
    Must have really believed in it to pick up the torch and run the show. I talked to a director recently of a VA program up here near NYC and hes been running his program for 20 years since he went through it himself. Always found stories such as your self and him interesting since ultimately, I would like to teach down the line.

I know I just started looking up programs for my cycle this year, but I haven't come across a program like yours that is so exo/endo/removable heavy. Hows the implant experience?

10. lemoncurry

lemoncurry tequila mockingbird
    Administrator Dentist

Dentist
    Sounds pretty similar to what I did in school.

I did a tally of extractions at my current job which totals about 3.5 years, and I have done over 3100 of them. I don't know how many i did in my two years of working at Aspen Dental, but I did a ton.

11. Vicviper

Vicviper Steve McAwesome
    Dentist Faculty

Dentist
    Oh for sure, I loved this program, and it turned me into the dentist I am today. Being in community health has you seeing all sorts of stuff that makes you think outside the box. Every program has pros and cons - Extractions / a lot of removable / fills / RCT's / Anterior Crowns are free for most of our patients, and that's how we do so much, we have tons of patients. Unfortunately, since we have so many patients that need so much other treatment, our health center doesn't quite see it as necessary to the mission to be doing implants, and so it's not something we offer.