Process of starting a small private practice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
What do people do about setting up a phone number for clients to call/text and leave voicemails?
Google Voice isn't HIPAA compliant, and I'd rather not get a new phone just for my very-part-time private practice.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
What do people do about setting up a phone number for clients to call/text and leave voicemails?
Google Voice isn't HIPAA compliant, and I'd rather not get a new phone just for my very-part-time private practice.

You actually can get a paid version of the G-suite in which Google will sign a BAA. This would also cover an email account.

I went ahead and bought a cheap phone and service through Ting for my business even though I only see clients part time. No bells and whistles, just use it for calls. You can text with the service or choose to disable that feature. It’s very cheap and serves my needs fine. I personally appreciate the psychological distance of knowing clients will not reach me on my personal phone and I can’t access my PP voicemail through my personal phone, either.

But yes, Google Workspace is HIPAA compliant (I use it) so if you can get voicemail as a feature that way, that might be the way to go if you refuse to get a business phone.

Reactions: 4 users
I went ahead and bought a cheap phone and service through Ting for my business even though I only see clients part time. No bells and whistles, just use it for calls. You can text with the service or choose to disable that feature. It’s very cheap and serves my needs fine. I personally appreciate the psychological distance of knowing clients will not reach me on my personal phone and I can’t access my PP voicemail through my personal phone, either.

But yes, Google Workspace is HIPAA compliant (I use it) so if you can get voicemail as a feature that way, that might be the way to go if you refuse to get a business phone.
Agree with this--I bought a cheap, $30/month prepaid phone plan and a cheap cell and use it for work, etc., as a way to physically and mentally separate my work and personal lives and contacts.