SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!


Discussion in 'Clinical Rotations' started by drewby, Jun 27, 2001.

  1. drewby

    drewby New Member

    Jun 26, 2001
    I am uncertain as to the path one must take to become a proctologist. Is this a branch of medicine with its own residency, or is it a specialized branch of surgery (colon/rectal surgery)? I have found information implying both, and I was just curious as to the facts.
  2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. turtleboard

    turtleboard SDN Advisor 10+ Year Member

    Jun 3, 1999
    New York, New York
    "Proctology" is the old term for what is known today as Colorectal surgery, which is a surgical subspecialty. One becomes a colorectal surgeon by doing a five-year residency in General Surgery and then a two-year fellowship in colorectal surgery.

    Then you're allowed to get a special license plate in NY State reading "BADASSMD." :)

Share This Page