Productive Ways to Spend Gap Year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

etky2107

Reaction score
Hi,

I was wondering what would be a productive way to spend a gap year. I recognize that this is a very personalized question, but I'd like some insights or perhaps some personal anecdotes. I intend to apply in June. My main worry is if I do not gain an acceptance, I don't want to have "wasted" my year doing stuff that wouldn't help me in a reapplication.

I was considering taking a 12 week RDA course over the summer and working as one until matriculation, assuming acceptance. However, entry level assistants of course don't make much, esp here in Cali. I'm also not entirely sure this would boost a reapplication because I've worked as an unregistered assistant/sterilization before. I could instead try to find a position as an unreg assistant to save time/money if it doesn't matter as much.

Alternatively, I could take up a job at a nonprofit I used to work for, this would pay better but is entirely unrelated to dentistry, it has to do with mental health. This is a remote position and I could technically work both here and part time as a DA.

I could also of course do some kind of self-exploration or whatever, but that sounds like a bit of a waste.

Basically my question boils down to whether it is worth tailoring my gap year to assuming I don't get an acceptance. I feel that I have a competitive application, but you never know, of course.

Members don't see this ad.

Just do something that keeps you busy, and possibly builds up your application. You really just don't want to be doing nothing. As long as you make your gap year productive in some way, this should be fine. Plenty of my classmates took a gap year. Some worked as an assistant, some got jobs in their fields, etc. You have to think if its worth paying for the 12 week course and then working, you're losing 3 months of pay and then when applying will be having to pay a ton of money. If you can get a job which pays the same level and sooner, you'd be able to save up more. You don't need to be an RDA to get into dental school. I had very little dental-related experiences and was still a successful applicant.

Reactions: 1 user
Any suggestions from your prehealth advisor or team?

There's nothing wrong with earning real money from a job, but you should show you are willing to make dentistry your career. But make sure you have set aside your calendar for DAT prep, applications, possible SJT prep, interviews, etc.