Professional Liability Insurance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

child_psych123

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am deciding between the Trust and American Professional Agency. I know that the American Professional Agency is currently being endorsed by the APA, but I know that prior to that, the Trust was. Does anyone have experience with either of these? Any suggestions? This is my first time applying for liability insurance, so I am not even sure what factors I should be considering in making this decision. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

I've had both, I've had colleagues who have had both. I haven't heard anyone mention any significant differences. From everything I've heard, they're essentially equivalent.

My caveat, I've never had to personally interact with either, so don't have any personal experience having to use them to deal with an issue.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I've gotten mine through the trust for many years. Rates all seem pretty similar. Never needed had to contact them for a claim, but when I needed stuff (e.g., a copy of proof of payment for previous years) they helped me out right away.

Reactions: 2 users
I have personally used the trust's confidential consultation line and been impressed. 5/5. They keep my business because of that. Also, because I have had them for years and am lazy. Haven't felt the need to go elsewhere, even if it saves a buck or two right now. Maybe later in my career if rates get more expensive.

Reactions: 2 users
I've been using Trust and no complaints from my end. All customer service reps have been very helpful.

Reactions: 1 user
I remember wondering the same when starting out, but they’re essentially equivalent, so for me it came down to which was a better deal (will depend on the characteristics of your practice—full time vs. part-time, group practice vs. individual, etc.). I started off with American Professional but switched to the Trust. For a group practice, Trust ends up being a better deal (huge discount for part-time group practice), whereas American is cheaper for individual practice, if I recall correctly.

I have had both, and in terms of cost and service they are essentially the same. You may want to alternate companies from year to year so as not to geet caught in the "tail coverage" rip off, unless you actually need that coverage.

Hi, thank you for this thread! I'm actually looking for liability insurance as well for this new job that I obtained (administering and scoring assessments for my supervisor). My supervisor pointed me to the Trust for insurance. However, when I go to get a quote, the options are for a Psychologist or Pre-Licensed Psychologist, Psychology Student, or Research or Academic Psychologist. I'm licensed as a Licensed Psychological Associate in the state of Texas. I don't neatly fall into any of those categories. Does anyone have experience with this, or an idea of what to do?

I'm going to call their customer service to also see if they have direction. Thanks in advance!

Hi, thank you for this thread! I'm actually looking for liability insurance as well for this new job that I obtained (administering and scoring assessments for my supervisor). My supervisor pointed me to the Trust for insurance. However, when I go to get a quote, the options are for a Psychologist or Pre-Licensed Psychologist, Psychology Student, or Research or Academic Psychologist. I'm licensed as a Licensed Psychological Associate in the state of Texas. I don't neatly fall into any of those categories. Does anyone have experience with this, or an idea of what to do?

I'm going to call their customer service to also see if they have direction. Thanks in advance!
I would think if you have graduated from a doctoral program but are pre-licensure then you would choose pre-psychologist

I would think if you have graduated from a doctoral program but are pre-licensure then you would choose pre-psychologist
@TXpsychology is a masters level LPA, and IIRC not in a doctoral program at this time. If the Trust does not have options try
HPSO which provides an insurance for masters level of many disciplines. (I have no idea if the Trust or the the other APA does)

@TXpsychology is a masters level LPA, and IIRC not in a doctoral program at this time. If the Trust does not have options try
HPSO which provides an insurance for masters level of many disciplines. (I have no idea if the Trust or the the other APA does)

Thank you, I appreciate that! I will definitely look into that. I e-mailed their customer service, so dependent upon their response I may need to do that instead. Although I won't be going for independent licensure at any point, I know that master's level independence is a relatively new thing so I assume other things that go around that (e.g., insurance) are catching up/changing/evolving, whatever is more appropriate.

I'm not currently in a doctoral program, but I do have fingers crossed for this cycle! And if not, next cycle! LOL
This will be my first year applying.

Reactions: 1 users

Does your supervisor own a practice? Ask to be put on their practice policy.

I'm sure it varies by state in some places, our psychometrists fall under our insurance here. Plus, there is really nothing that the tech could be sued for in the regular day-to-day of their duties. Even if they make a scoring error and a misdiagnosis happens, that's still on the doctor to catch. Technically all clinical product starts and ends with the doctor that they work for.

Reactions: 1 users

So, it's kind of a weird thing. He works for a group practice here in town, where I will be administering and scoring the assessments. However, I won't be employed by the group practice, I'm being employed by the psychologist himself and underneath his LLC. He is wanting me to get my own coverage as I'm going to be a contract employee and what not. I'm still really new to this world so I'm not sure if this is standard practice or not. This will be my first "in the field" job outside of working at the state hospital, which is a whole different goose itself haha. I love the state hospital and all of it's antics (aside from awfully low pay - which is why I'm picking up this PT assessment gig), but I need a little something more that uses my skills. At the state hospital I'm kind of a little guy that does all the competency evaluators bidding, with a little bit of therapy and treatment planning with my caseload thrown in haha.

I did call the Trust's customer service and they pointed me in the right direction. I was on the wrong website. I guess they have a whole separate website for the insurance program they have for master level folks. I'm all set up. But Jesus, nobody warns you that liability insurance in the real world is expensive. I remember in my program as a student I paid $30 for my practicum coverage... that's way cheaper than what was just paid lol. I'm all set now, though. And thank you again to the OP for this post as it has helped me as well!

So, it's kind of a weird thing. He works for a group practice here in town, where I will be administering and scoring the assessments. However, I won't be employed by the group practice, I'm being employed by the psychologist himself and underneath his LLC. He is wanting me to get my own coverage as I'm going to be a contract employee and what not. I'm still really new to this world so I'm not sure if this is standard practice or not. This will be my first "in the field" job outside of working at the state hospital, which is a whole different goose itself haha. I love the state hospital and all of it's antics (aside from awfully low pay - which is why I'm picking up this PT assessment gig), but I need a little something more that uses my skills. At the state hospital I'm kind of a little guy that does all the competency evaluators bidding, with a little bit of therapy and treatment planning with my caseload thrown in haha.

I did call the Trust's customer service and they pointed me in the right direction. I was on the wrong website. I guess they have a whole separate website for the insurance program they have for master level folks. I'm all set up. But Jesus, nobody warns you that liability insurance in the real world is expensive. I remember in my program as a student I paid $30 for my practicum coverage... that's way cheaper than what was just paid lol. I'm all set now, though. And thank you again to the OP for this post as it has helped me as well!

If you want to feel better, here's a link to a document showing medical malpractice premiums from 2008 to 2017: https://www.ama-assn.org/sites/ama-...-perspective-liability-insurance-premiums.pdf

Edit: Although to be fair, it seems a lot of those numbers are high even for med mal.