Professional Memberships for students

Started by HTxFrog
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

HTxFrog

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Are there any professional associations relevant to orthopedic surgery that offer medical student memberships? I'm an MS3 applying to ortho and I'm trying to see if there was anything aside from student groups at my school that I could join to put on my CV. From looking around on the internet, AAOS doesn't seem to have student memberships as far as I can tell. Maybe the american college of surgeons, or a subspecialty specific group in sports medicine would be good? Thanks for y'alls help.
 
Are there any professional associations relevant to orthopedic surgery that offer medical student memberships? I'm an MS3 applying to ortho and I'm trying to see if there was anything aside from student groups at my school that I could join to put on my CV. From looking around on the internet, AAOS doesn't seem to have student memberships as far as I can tell. Maybe the american college of surgeons, or a subspecialty specific group in sports medicine would be good? Thanks for y'alls help.

I'm not sure how much that is going to boost your CV.
 
If you are a minority or woman, you can become a member of the JRGOS or RJOS respectively. Otherwise you can join the student section of the American College of Surgeons. Either way that will not help or hurt your application.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was wondering the same thing. I am worried about my CV and would like to have more than just "surgery club", etc for professional organizations. Does anybody else know how important these things are to residencies?
 
I was wondering the same thing. I am worried about my CV and would like to have more than just "surgery club", etc for professional organizations. Does anybody else know how important these things are to residencies?

Probably not very important. I attended the surgery interest group and ortho interest group at my school and I didn't even put them down on my app because all I did was eat and listen when I was there. I did put AMA on there though I guess.