Professionalism Dismissal

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

GoPistonsGo

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello, I had a recent dismissal with my former medical school. It was due to professionalism reasons for theft from the community refrigerator I did go through the whole appeals process and from the from the president to the dean, and went through the professional standards committee meeting as well as the initial meeting, which was like the intake. The school did take this all the way up until the trimester and now I am at home. I wanted to get some insight I can go more in depth, but basically there was food in the fridge and I took it on multiple days and from there the school just said have a good day. I was also in jail in 2022 for theft as well, but that case is covered under The Home's youthful training act. (HYTA) I just wanted to get some insight before I was to go ahead and try to reapply to another Caribbean medical school. I would need to retake my MCAT first and then from there I already see a therapist as well as getting self health groups to document my progress and changing internally to fix my behavior. I just want to get insight before I spend the whole summer and trying to reapply. I know that schools will ask and and I have to disclose with full transparency about the last school, but my issue is would you think and want some advice yes, I could get accepted again, but that's very slim but main question is when it comes to apply for residency and to get fully medically licensed this will all come back again, so I don't want to spend my time energy and my money towards something that I already know I'm already put at a very big disadvantage due to mistakes I made in my past. If there's someone that could just give me some insight before I start MCATING again. And trying to do the other premed task moving forward, volunteering shadowing and everything else from that. I also have a medical diagnosis, but there's no excuse due to my behavior. I can disclose that as well. I just want to know if I should even attend medical school again especially with The grad Plus loan out of the picture and having to deal with this as well, I'm at crossroads.
 
Just to be clear—you were dismissed from a Caribbean school and you want to apply for another one? Or you were in a US MD/DO?

Are you or aren’t you required to disclose the prior jail offense?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just to be clear—you were dismissed from a Caribbean school and you want to apply for another one? Or you were in a US MD/DO?

Are you or aren’t you required to disclose the prior jail offense?
Yes, I was dismissed from a carribean school. I want to apply for a different carribean school. I do not have to disclose the prior arrest in admissions. But later down the line. I wanted to clarify if and how the residency's will look upon this
 
Yes, I was dismissed from a carribean school. I want to apply for a different carribean school. I do not have to disclose the prior arrest in admissions. But later down the line. I wanted to clarify if and how the residency's will look upon this
I have to be honest, I would never consider someone who has been dismissed from a Caribbean school, for any reason.

You bet on yourself, and regrettably it didn’t work out the way you had hoped. I have no doubt you could find another predatory Caribbean school to take your money, but the odds of getting into a residency at the end of this process are so close to zero that I would strongly advise you to cut your losses at this point.
 
I see, yes now that you
I have to be honest, I would never consider someone who has been dismissed from a Caribbean school, for any reason.

You bet on yourself, and regrettably it didn’t work out the way you had hoped. I have no doubt you could find another predatory Caribbean school to take your money, but the odds of getting into a residency at the end of this process are so close to zero that I would strongly advise you to cut your losses at this point.
Yes, from that perceptive I see where that all makes sense. Especially by getting in trouble with prior history and it reoccurring again now academically for not only my transcript (for if I did apply to a new school). As well as this all showing up on my MSPE at a new school but the residency programs will see everything. Just to be clear
 
Just to be clear—you were dismissed from a Caribbean school and you want to apply for another one? Or you were in a US MD/DO?

Are you or aren’t you required to disclose the prior jail offense?
personally I want to just close this chapter and move on since now knowing that I have these red flags on my record and I can come all the way to my 3rd year of med school and do rotations and the hospitals could tell me no we don't want you based on my past. Plus for residency all ready this set myself up to get flagged because of 3 factors. 1. 2022 arrest legal record 2. 2026 academic dismissal for theft. 3. being an IMG and having those chances already lowered for 1. and 2.