Professor botched my last name on LOR

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1048249

What the title says, my professor completely botched my last name (badly, like a completely different word lol) on my LOR. I found out when I asked the interfolio rep to go over my letter. Is it worth asking him to resubmit my letter or is it no big deal?

Members don't see this ad.

The name is completely different, but is it close at all? If it’s at least somewhat similar I might not worry about it. I had one of my LOR talk about what a great nurse I would make. During my interview they asked me if I had applied to nursing school in addition to dental school. I told them “No” (which was true) and said, “I guess he writes lots of nursing LOR”. They agreed and we went on with the interview. I was mortified, but I guess it didn’t matter since I still got into dental school.
Good Luck

Reactions: 2 users
Thank you for the reassurance!

Yeah the name is somewhat similar, it starts with the same letter as my actual last name and the same ethnicity. He's a chem professor so I'm guessing he writes lots of LOR's and got my name mixed up on accident.

Members don't see this ad :)
If it's that minor, I don't see it hurting you to have Interfolio query the writer to submit a new letter with your name properly spelled. Some faculty I know are a lot less forgiving about mistakes like names. It's not a big deal, but details matter to many in dentistry.

Is this a mistake that is repeated in the body of the letter, as well? Asking because it may or may not be a sealed letter.
Why is this important? It is, because if I'm reading a rec letter where the writer is constantly misspelling your name, I will being to wonder if the writer really knows you well enough to be writing a letter in the first place.

Is this a mistake that is repeated in the body of the letter, as well? Asking because it may or may not be a sealed letter.
Why is this important? It is, because if I'm reading a rec letter where the writer is constantly misspelling your name, I will being to wonder if the writer really knows you well enough to be writing a letter in the first place.

I honestly don't know, I just asked the Interfolio guy if everything with my letter looks fine. He said everything is fine except my name is incorrect. The letter is confidential but I think they are allowed to look at the whole letter, they just can't share it with me.

@Mr.Smile12 I was going to ask the professor myself to resubmit the letter, but do you think it's better if I go through interfolio to do it? I don't want to pester him too much, I'm sure he's busy

I honestly don't know, I just asked the Interfolio guy if everything with my letter looks fine. He said everything is fine except my name is incorrect. The letter is confidential but I think they are allowed to look at the whole letter, they just can't share it with me.

@Mr.Smile12 I was going to ask the professor myself to resubmit the letter, but do you think it's better if I go through interfolio to do it? I don't want to pester him too much, I'm sure he's busy
Technically the letter is confidential so don't give him any reason to think Interfolio just gave you the letter. If Interfolio can do it, then let them verify the spelling of your name.

Reactions: 1 users
Technically the letter is confidential so don't give him any reason to think Interfolio just gave you the letter. If Interfolio can do it, then let them verify the spelling of your name.

Sounds good. Just to clarify Interfolio never gave me the letter, I have no clue what's on it. They just mentioned that my name was incorrect on it. But I realize that if I ask my professor to resubmit it myself, he will probably think I saw the contents of my letter. I will ask Interfolio if they can contact the professor to fix my name on the letter.