Professor LOR?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gummydinosaur

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I will be applying again in the 2021-2022 cycle but I wanted an opinion on the importance of having a former professor writing a letter of recommendation. I've been out of school for a few years now, so the letters I wanted to use were from work colleagues (some holding Ph.Ds) and some from my clinical experience. Do you think obtaining a LOR from a professor is necessary? Should I take a few community college courses just so that I have someone to ask for a letter of recommendation?

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

For the schools that I looked at, having faculty letters was a requirement. For students that had been out of school for a while they would allow a work letter to substitute for a faculty letter but still required 1 or 2. Your best bet is to look up the schools you want to apply to in order to find out. IMO, faculty letters are important because adcoms want to know about how you perform in science classes.

Hey everyone,

I will be applying again in the 2021-2022 cycle but I wanted an opinion on the importance of having a former professor writing a letter of recommendation. I've been out of school for a few years now, so the letters I wanted to use were from work colleagues (some holding Ph.Ds) and some from my clinical experience. Do you think obtaining a LOR from a professor is necessary? Should I take a few community college courses just so that I have someone to ask for a letter of recommendation?

Thank you!
It depends upon the school.
Albany says:
How many recommendations are required? Our requirements would be filled by either submitting: 1. a premedical advisory committee letter OR 2. a letter packet from your college letter service OR 3. between 2 to 4 letters of recommendation.

The Admissions Committee prefers letters from a faculty member who speaks to your personal attributes and scholastic abilities. If you are not sending a letter from a faculty member, you may provide a letter from a supervisor from either a paid or volunteer research or clinical experience. The maximum number of letters is four (4).

BUT, NYMC says:
Pre-medical Advisory Committee Letter Instructions

o A single letter of evaluation from the committee is preferred and will fulfill all undergraduate letters of evaluation requirements. o A committee letter does not require the names of individual letter writers but it must be signed by at least one of its members.
 Individual Letter Instructions
o If your college does not have a premedical committee, a total of three (3) letters of evaluation from undergraduate faculty are required. The names of the individual letters writers must be listed on your AMCAS application.
o Two (2) letters must be from science faculty who either taught you in a class or supervised independent research for which you received credit toward your science GPA. Acceptable science courses for purposes of letters of evaluation include: biology, chemistry, physics, bio-medical engineering, or bio-engineering, etc. (Math is not considered a science course for purposes of letters of evaluation.)
o The third required letter of evaluation must be from a non-science course. o One (1) of your three letters of evaluation must be from the department in which you majored as identified on your AMCAS application - whether science or non-science.

Most med schools require LORs from faculty who have taught you.