1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Professor Still Hasn't Submitted LOR?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by user2992, Jul 30, 2015.

1. user2992

I asked for a LOR at the beginning of May. Professor said he'd be happy to, met with me to talk about specifics, asked for a due date and I told him mid-June and he said no problem, and he even told me to let him know "when' I get in.

He hadn't submitted it by the beginning of this month. I emailed him and he said he should be able to finish it within a week.

I unfortunately didn't see his reponse to that email because it went to spam, but I found it 2 days ago, so about a week and a half after he said he'd have it done. I emailed him thanking him again, asked to have it done by next Friday or if he could give me a more reasonable date to have it finished, and he still hasn't responded to me.

What do I do? I need this for one of my two science ltters. I took a July MCAT so I won't need this letter for maybe 3-4 weeks but I'd really like to have it ASAP because I"m worried that he won't do it. I don't know any of my other science professors well enough to ask. Do you think this professor changed his mind somehow even though he was very willing initially?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Meeehai

It's your responsibility to pester your letter writers until they submit it. He's probably a busy guy. If possible, pay him a visit in person and nicely tell him that you need the letter in soon.

4. CaliforniaDreamer

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I asked for a letter in November, and he said yes, and that was the last contact I had from him. I sent him about 5 emails since then, left him a physical note in the department mailbox (he is retired and doesn't have an office) and told a secretary there to contact me if she ever sees him again. He emailed me last week and said he would write it, and he submitted to interfolio yesterday and now I have it out to my schools today. Crazy how it works out if you can be annoying enough,

Rainbow Zebra likes this.
  5. user2992

Thanks guys. I guess I really hate being in people's way or feeling like I'm annoying them, but maybe that's all part of getting letters and I'll have to be a little more politely aggressive. Open to any other ideas as well! I live about an hour and a half away but might just drive up anyway before I start work.

6. gublagu3

2+ Year Member

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    Just ask another science teacher as a backup. Even if you dont know any of the other teachers that well, go meet with one of them and explain them your situation, I am sure someone will bite.

7. vellez

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Pro-tip: always have one extra professor letter to use in case one prof flakes out. If only 2 of your profs know you well enough to write a letter, you are networking incorrectly; many of your profs should know you.