Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Professor Still Hasn't Submitted LOR?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by user2992, Jul 30, 2015.

1. user2992

I asked for a LOR at the beginning of May. Professor said he'd be happy to, met with me to talk about specifics, asked for a due date and I told him mid-June and he said no problem, and he even told me to let him know "when' I get in.

He hadn't submitted it by the beginning of this month. I emailed him and he said he should be able to finish it within a week.

I unfortunately didn't see his reponse to that email because it went to spam, but I found it 2 days ago, so about a week and a half after he said he'd have it done. I emailed him thanking him again, asked to have it done by next Friday or if he could give me a more reasonable date to have it finished, and he still hasn't responded to me.

What do I do? I need this for one of my two science ltters. I took a July MCAT so I won't need this letter for maybe 3-4 weeks but I'd really like to have it ASAP because I"m worried that he won't do it. I don't know any of my other science professors well enough to ask. Do you think this professor changed his mind somehow even though he was very willing initially?

2. Meeehai

It's your responsibility to pester your letter writers until they submit it. He's probably a busy guy. If possible, pay him a visit in person and nicely tell him that you need the letter in soon.

3. CaliforniaDreamer

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I asked for a letter in November, and he said yes, and that was the last contact I had from him. I sent him about 5 emails since then, left him a physical note in the department mailbox (he is retired and doesn't have an office) and told a secretary there to contact me if she ever sees him again. He emailed me last week and said he would write it, and he submitted to interfolio yesterday and now I have it out to my schools today. Crazy how it works out if you can be annoying enough,

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    Rainbow Zebra likes this.
  4. user2992

Thanks guys. I guess I really hate being in people's way or feeling like I'm annoying them, but maybe that's all part of getting letters and I'll have to be a little more politely aggressive. Open to any other ideas as well! I live about an hour and a half away but might just drive up anyway before I start work.

5. gublagu3

2+ Year Member

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    Just ask another science teacher as a backup. Even if you dont know any of the other teachers that well, go meet with one of them and explain them your situation, I am sure someone will bite.

6. vellez

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Pro-tip: always have one extra professor letter to use in case one prof flakes out. If only 2 of your profs know you well enough to write a letter, you are networking incorrectly; many of your profs should know you.