Progesterone, Estrogen, and Birth Control pills help please

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Scikotic

Accepted Pharmacy Student
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know there are a lot of smart people here:D, can someone delineate how birth control pills work exactly? I have looked in several anatomy books but would like it wrapped in a nutshell. I know Estrogen and progesterone inhibit eachother, but could use further clarification, like what happens to the hormones exactly, step by step, before and after the mentrual cycle? And how does the birth control pill affect the whole process? (I think I know but want to hear it from someone else)

Members don't see this ad.

As I understand it menstruation, the shedding of the endometrium (uterine lining), occurs after a sharp drop-off in progesterone levels secreted by the corpus luteum within the ovaries. The corpus luteum is the main player in the secretion of estrogens and progesterone which maintain conditions for pregnancy in the uterus. What it also does, however, is suppress the production of follicle stimulating hormone and leutenizing hormone which are responsible for its own continued existence and the development of a new ovum (egg).

Birth control pills take the place of the corpus luteum. When taken on schedule (before ovulation) they will raise levels of estrogen and progesterone which will make the uterus ready for pregnancy BUT there will not be any egg to fertilize. On top of that, it will suppress the development of a new egg and the maintenance of high progesterone levels also results in the skipping of periods.

Sorry if that was not entirely clear and feel free to correct me if I made a mistake