Status
Not open for further replies.

APACHE3

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 24, 2005
Status
I have an interview scheduled at an ACGME program in which the PD is a DO. This person holds faculty title from MD school and is extensively published and coeditor on several publications. This person has excellent credentials. There are DO and ACGME programs at the hospital. The program seems nice. This is a very dumb question, I wont have any licensing issues upon graduation will I? The ACGME is what counts right? :confused:

skypilot

2K Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 15, 2002
Beantown
Status
Attending Physician
APACHE3 said:
I have an interview scheduled at an ACGME program in which the PD is a DO. This person holds faculty title from MD school and is extensively published and coeditor on several publications. This person has excellent credentials. There are DO and ACGME programs at the hospital. The program seems nice. This is a very dumb question, I wont have any licensing issues upon graduation will I? The ACGME is what counts right?
Of course it is. By the way the Rads program director at UPitt is a DO too.

OP
A

APACHE3

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 24, 2005
Status
I'm looking forward to interviewing the program. Its my only one with a DO as PD, but on paper it looks like a nice place (especially for my family). Sorry, I know it was a dumb question. Thanks for the feedback. :D

DeLaughterDO

Ghost in the Machine
10+ Year Member
Jun 26, 2004
State of Being
Status
Attending Physician
APACHE3 said:
I have an interview scheduled at an ACGME program in which the PD is a DO. This person holds faculty title from MD school and is extensively published and coeditor on several publications. This person has excellent credentials. There are DO and ACGME programs at the hospital. The program seems nice. This is a very dumb question, I wont have any licensing issues upon graduation will I? The ACGME is what counts right? :confused:
Does it matter what degree the PD has? A physician is a physician is a physician.

(nicedream)

Fitter Happier
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 10, 2004
The Sea
Status
APACHE3 said:
I'm looking forward to interviewing the program. Its my only one with a DO as PD, but on paper it looks like a nice place (especially for my family). Sorry, I know it was a dumb question. Thanks for the feedback. :D
Are you suggesting that a program could somehow be inferior due to having a DO as the PD??

OP
A

APACHE3

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 24, 2005
Status
I suggest you read my OP again, as you did not get the message. The PD is exceedingly qualified to run an IM program..of any type..period. Since this was my first time to interview with a DO as head, I was just curious. This is NOT a "us for them" thing. Appreciate the feedback. see ya!

f_w

1K Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 30, 2005
Status
The ACGME doesn't work like the osteopathic accreditation body. They don't hold the degree of a PD against him/her. If the program is ACGME accredited, you won't have problems.

mfrederi

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jun 2, 2003
Texas
Visit site
Status
sheesh, why do I feel like someone has already called Al Sharpton, Jesse Jackson, and the ACLU? The guy asked a question, don't assume he has negative feelings about DOs. I can understand why somebody from "the dark side" (j/k) would be confused about osteopathy and its role / acceptance in medicine. Some allopathic students have literally never seen a DO, and only know that there was this other type of doctor that goes to other types of schools that didn't apply to.

(nicedream)

Fitter Happier
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 10, 2004
The Sea
Status
What threw me was "Its my only one with a DO as PD, but on paper it looks like a nice place" - using the word "but" suggests the two statements are in opposition.

Shinken

Family Medicine
15+ Year Member
Jul 1, 2003
Lima, OH
Status
Attending Physician
(nicedream) said:
What threw me was "Its my only one with a DO as PD, but on paper it looks like a nice place" - using the word "but" suggests the two statements are in opposition.
I'm with you, (nicedream). I'm not a fool either. This post is obviously meant to start crap (yet again).

To those who have "never seen a DO", as mfrederi suggests, trust me, they look human most of the time.

OP
A

APACHE3

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 24, 2005
Status
Since I physically, have not stepped foot into the program, I obviously haven't seen anything but whats on paper (internet), other sources, reading the PD's papers (a good idea for all), which is why I made the statement. Sorry, I attend school in Europe. We don't have osteopathic schools there. I've never worked with one, but it will not affect my decision to rank or not. The hospital is ranked in US News, its a great location, and yes, since I haven't been there yet..it seems like a great place. I'll let you know. My apologies for even starting the post..so please administrator..LOCK THIS POST!!!!!! :D

Fantasy Sports

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 28, 2004
Status
The program will be fine, because it is the program, not the PD, that is accredited.

That said, based on this thread, you can get a feel of what DOs do when you mention their degree and do not use the word "equal" or "superior" (if you are another DO) within a one sentence span.

But back to your original question, which only about half the posts on this thread answer (the other half are DOs having a mental allergic reaction to their degree name), is that it doesn't matter. Who knows, maybe this PD is actually content with his degree and career and won't react like a child if you ask what the difference between a DO and MD is!

f_w

1K Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 30, 2005
Status
That said, based on this thread, you can get a feel of what some very insecure DOs do when you mention their degree and do not use the word "equal" or "superior" (if you are another DO) within a one sentence span.

Coming back to your initial question. There won't be any difference in your education whether your PD is a MD, DO or MBBS. The ACGME accredits residency programs and they don't care what type of medical school the PD went to as long as he has his requisite experience in academic medicine and board certification. And as long as the residency is accredited, you will be eligible to sit for the boards or get credit for your training in order to continue with a fellowship.

Poety

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 22, 2004
Bible Belt and loving it
Status
Resident [Any Field]
f_w said:
That said, based on this thread, you can get a feel of what some very insecure DOs do when you mention their degree and do not use the word "equal" or "superior" (if you are another DO) within a one sentence span.

Coming back to your initial question. There won't be any difference in your education whether your PD is a MD, DO or MBBS. The ACGME accredits residency programs and they don't care what type of medical school the PD went to as long as he has his requisite experience in academic medicine and board certification. And as long as the residency is accredited, you will be eligible to sit for the boards or get credit for your training in order to continue with a fellowship.
ok, im biting, what is MBBS?

f_w

1K Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 30, 2005
Status
Medical Bachelor Bachelor of Surgery

The standard academic title for a physician in the former british empire outside of canada and the US. Many physicians of indian and nigerian heritage for example are actually MBBS (in the day to day usage of a US hospital they are commonly referred to as 'doctor' or have 'MD' on their ID).

edinOH

Can I get a work excuse?
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 13, 2002
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
raptor5 said:
I am with Apache3 on this one. Stop pulling the DO card.

I think the politically correct term is "Osteopathic-American" :D

Geez people, lighten up.

Orange Julius

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 7, 2005
Status
f_w said:
Medical Bachelor Bachelor of Surgery

The standard academic title for a physician in the former british empire outside of canada and the US. Many physicians of indian and nigerian heritage for example are actually MBBS (in the day to day usage of a US hospital they are commonly referred to as 'doctor' or have 'MD' on their ID).
Yes, they are referred to as "doctor" (just like DO's) but they don't have 'MD' on their ID. ;)

Orange Julius

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 7, 2005
Status
(nicedream) said:

Wow. You're being WAY too sensitive. :rolleyes:

tkim

10 cc's cordrazine
15+ Year Member
Aug 2, 2002
New England
Status
Attending Physician
APACHE3 said:
Since I physically, have not stepped foot into the program, I obviously haven't seen anything but whats on paper (internet), other sources, reading the PD's papers (a good idea for all), which is why I made the statement. Sorry, I attend school in Europe. We don't have osteopathic schools there. I've never worked with one, but it will not affect my decision to rank or not. The hospital is ranked in US News, its a great location, and yes, since I haven't been there yet..it seems like a great place. I'll let you know. My apologies for even starting the post..so please administrator..LOCK THIS POST!!!!!! :D
No need to apologize, your question was valid and appropriate, IMO. People on both sides need to quit the knee-jerk responses or escalating the issue.

Closed on request.

Status
Not open for further replies.