Program in trouble?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

unregistered

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
So... I was listening in on a meeting b/w a GS program director and his residents today. The PD mentioned how its important to maintain a program up to standards, RRC requirements, blah, blah, blah...Somewhere in the middle of his discussion he mentioned he received e-mail notification today of a program that got into trouble with the RRC.

I wanted to pursue it further and find out the program, but I didn't want to seem like I cared about other GS programs (I'm doing an away rotation at this program).

My question: Anybody know which program this is? What the problem is?

Also feel free to post of other Gen Surg programs that may be on the rocks this cycle.

Members don't see this ad.

The easiest way to find out woud be at the ACGME website.

www.acgme.org

The word in the news is

"Compton hospital hurt by training program loss
ASSOCIATED PRESS

LOS ANGELES - Martin Luther King Jr./Drew Medical Center was stripped of its accreditation to teach general surgeons, which could threaten its physician training program and impair the hospital's ability to operate on patients.

The rare step, which cannot be appealed, was taken this month by the Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education. It is a severe loss for the Compton-area public hospital, which relies heavily on medical residents to care for its patients, who are mostly poor and uninsured.

The hospital was created in 1972 after residents complained that they did not have access to adequate medical care. The decision comes at a time when several of the hospital's major teaching programs are in danger.

Less than a year ago, the council revoked King/Drew's ability to train diagnostic radiology residents. The ban takes effect next June.

Also, four more of King/Drew's 18 training programs have been placed on probation or have received warnings in the last two years from the accrediting body, including the hospital's anesthesiology, family medicine, internal medicine and neonatal-perinatal programs.

The surgery program sanction, which takes effect immediately, means King/Drew must find surgical training programs at other universities for two dozen residents, including six who just began their training this summer. Residents slated to complete the five-year program by next June can stay.

Generally, residents are new doctors being trained in a specialty. They must complete an accredited program to be certified in their field.

County officials said the council revoked the surgery accreditation because the program had two more residents than the 38 it was allowed. The program was placed on probation last year because residents were not given enough surgical experience, faculty research was deemed inadequate, and recommended curriculum guidelines were not followed.

Officials at Charles R. Drew University of Medicine and Science, which runs the hospital's training programs, said they accept the punishment.

"The rules are the rules," said Dr. M. Alfred Haynes, chairman of Drew's board of directors. But he added, "This is a severe blow."

The accrediting council plans to visit King/Drew Sept. 9 for a review of its overall physician training programs. The institution received an unfavorable rating overall in its last review, in 2000. If it receives another unfavorable rating, the council could completely pull its right to train residents.

King/Drew is one of 13 Los Angeles County centers certified to handle trauma, including gunshot wounds and injuries from car accidents.

The residency program's loss means the county will downgrade the hospital's official status, but the facility will remain certified to treat the same kind of patients. There could be problems, however, staffing the trauma center, where residents play a key role.

The loss of the surgery and radiology programs allows Los Angeles County, which owns King/Drew, to terminate its $13.8-million agreement with the hospital.

But Dr. Thomas Garthwaite, director of the county Department of Health Services, said he doesn't plan to end the relationship immediately, because the hospital's new leadership has been trying hard to improve residency programs."

This is what is in the news---not inside info.

It IS Drew that got in trouble. Their accreditation was pulled. We got an e-mail from our program secretary (forwarded from the Drew PD's secretary) indicating that this was the case and that they were in need of positions for their PGY1-4 residents. I don't know what their specific violations were, though.