Program pulling out of match?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Psychplans

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

New poster.

If I received an email that one of my top programs will no longer be participating in the match does that mean they will still have an intern class? And find residents outside of the match? Why would this happen so late in the season? When I certify my list I just ignore the program now?

Members don't see this ad.

Maybe they will just fill outside of the match. Since they emailed you that they will not be in the match you should not rank them.

Maybe they will just fill outside of the match. Since they emailed you that they will not be in the match you should not rank them.

Thank you :(

I really want to match back home in California so this feels like a punch to the gut.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you :(

I really want to match back home in California so this feels like a punch to the gut.
This is kinda strange and somewhat inconsiderate given the fact that applicants have to pay quite a lot for these interviews unless they are local.

Reactions: 2 users
I wonder if programs are allowed to enter the Match to see their candidates pool, and then withdraw if they don't like anyone. It's still a waste of time and money from both sides.

One of two things could be going on. 1) The program has decided to fill outside of the Match. This tends to be a rare occurrence and would only occur if the program had grave concerns that they would not do well in the Match as going outside the Match would mean they would not get first shot at AMGs (and likely the strong IMGs.) You could get an idea about this by looking at who the residents are in the program currently. 2) The program has lost funding from whatever entity is funding their slots. I believe that a program has until the end of January to decide how many slots to have in the Match.

Reactions: 1 users

Sure but there shouldn't be harm in ranking them anyway. It won't affect your chances matching elsewhere.

Reactions: 1 user
One of two things could be going on. 1) The program has decided to fill outside of the Match. This tends to be a rare occurrence and would only occur if the program had grave concerns that they would not do well in the Match as going outside the Match would mean they would not get first shot at AMGs (and likely the strong IMGs.) You could get an idea about this by looking at who the residents are in the program currently. 2) The program has lost funding from whatever entity is funding their slots. I believe that a program has until the end of January to decide how many slots to have in the Match.

Thank you for your insight. This entire process is new and confusing for me.

I feel like this email must be a mistake. This is an established UC program with US MD residents. Are programs allowed to tell applicants about funding issues?

Maybe this is like the accidental text that they sent out to Hawaii. I'm waiting for the "just kidding! No missiles!" follow up email.

I wonder if programs are allowed to enter the Match to see their candidates pool, and then withdraw if they don't like anyone. It's still a waste of time and money from both sides.
I believe that is "legal" vis a vis the Match. I suppose a small (or new?) program that interviewed a lot of non-US seniors might feel they could fill their positions easily outside the Match and have control that way. But it is basically saying to everyone "We don't want USMGs this year".

I heard that UCLA-SFV sent an email like this today to applicants, so I'm guessing that is where you are talking about...

Anyone familiar or connected with UCLA-SFV able to comment on what happened? Apparently the message did not explain anything to applicants, just stated that they are not participating in the match. My impression of SFV was that they are a stable training program, maybe they really filled all 10 spots outside of the match?

I heard that UCLA-SFV sent an email like this today to applicants, so I'm guessing that is where you are talking about...

Anyone familiar or connected with UCLA-SFV able to comment on what happened? Apparently the message did not explain anything to applicants, just stated that they are not participating in the match. My impression of SFV was that they are a stable training program, maybe they really filled all 10 spots outside of the match?

Welp there goes 20% of the psych residency spots in LA County for the 2018 match. I have no insider knowledge about what may have happened at SFV, if this is true. Unlikely they got 10 highly qualified IMGs to sign up. UCLA med students routinely match there, and it would be bad politics to shut them out. The program's funding comes mainly from the VA and LA County.

Welp there goes 20% of the psych residency spots in LA County for the 2018 match. I have no insider knowledge about what may have happened at SFV, if this is true. Unlikely they got 10 highly qualified IMGs to sign up. UCLA med students routinely match there, and it would be bad politics to shut them out. The program's funding comes mainly from the VA and LA County.
If they receive funding from the VA, I wonder if the government shut down has anything to do with their withdrawal due to lack of fund.

Thank you for your insight. This entire process is new and confusing for me.

I feel like this email must be a mistake. This is an established UC program with US MD residents. Are programs allowed to tell applicants about funding issues?

Maybe this is like the accidental text that they sent out to Hawaii. I'm waiting for the "just kidding! No missiles!" follow up email.
Yes, a program can tell you why they are dropping out of the Match.

Another possibility is that it is some kind of scam. I believe that I read somewhere that somebody had sent emails to people telling them that a program had closed in an attempt to increase his/her chances of Matching there. I see two options: 1) You could contact them directly to verify things. I don't see a downside to doing so. If it is true, they will verify it and that is the end of it. If it is untrue, they will thank your profusely. 2) Do nothing. If they are truly out of the Match, you will not be able to find them in the ranking system. If it is a scam, you will find them in the ranking list and can select them for your ranking.

A program can lose funding in the middle of the recruitment season? Wow! I hope this won't interrupt the training of the residents who are already in the program?

Wonder why it lost funding. I would be concerned in looking at them as a viable training site. Who knows what else could happen.

Does anyone have more information? UCLA-SFV is a well established program, I'm really surprised to hear they lost funding (if true)...

Does anyone have more information? UCLA-SFV is a well established program, I'm really surprised to hear they lost funding (if true)...

It’s true. I don’t know why they lost funding, but I heard through the grapevine that an exclusively Olive View-based program will be applying for accreditation.

It’s true. I don’t know why they lost funding, but I heard through the grapevine that an exclusively Olive View-based program will be applying for accreditation.

Thanks for responding. I wonder how this will all play out.