Program rank list

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

APACHE3

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
When a program says "it does not have to go very deep" into its rank list, does that mean for, 12 categorical spots, they may rank 25 people and only have to go to 15-16 on the list to fill?? Thanks PS How "deep" do programs go on their list anyway? :cool:

Members don't see this ad.

hello..anybody, Bueller? :D

I may be a bit naive. However, it sounds to me as though this could be a tactic that is designed to "intimidate" applicants into ranking them higher. I do know that according to FREIDA, MGH gives about 90 interviews for 10ish Psych. positions. If they -- MGH -- feel that it's necessary to interview 90 or more applicants, then I have to believe that other programs have to be a tad cautious/zealous with their tactics!

BTW, even stellar programs can go unfilled. A couple of years ago Duke failed to fill their Psych. positions through the match; yet, as a rule, I would imagine that they "assume" that they will not have to go "too deep" into their rank order list!

Not sure if this helps; but, I thought it might!???

APACHE3 said:
When a program says "it does not have to go very deep" into its rank list, does that mean for, 12 categorical spots, they may rank 25 people and only have to go to 15-16 on the list to fill?? Thanks PS How "deep" do programs go on their list anyway? :cool:
programs can say anything they want. i'd be willing to bet that sometimes they're talking out of their ass to instill fear in you. one program i visited told me, "here's how it's gonna work, if you want to come here, tell us we're your #1 choice...if you don't communicate with us, you are not likely to match here...we typically have 5 spots and get our top 5 on our rank list."

i ranked them 10th. eat that!

Sounds like Match is a big poker game of 5 card stud between PD and candidate. Bluffing is the key!!! Thanks :D