Program rank lists

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Iamnotme

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Curious, when do programs make their rank lists? Soon after they finish interviewing, or in January time frame? I would assume that programs don't wait until February to make their lists.

Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

I think it depends upon the size of the rank list. If you have a small rank list, it's easy to sit down in a meeting with your 20 applications, and decide what order they are going in. If you have 200 people to list, it makes much more sense to build the list as you go. Also, if you have only 20 people on your list, you can have a big discussion about who is #7 vs #8 vs #9. When you have a list 200 names long, you can't spend hours debating who is #119 vs #120 vs #121.

I think it depends upon the size of the rank list. If you have a small rank list, it's easy to sit down in a meeting with your 20 applications, and decide what order they are going in. If you have 200 people to list, it makes much more sense to build the list as you go. Also, if you have only 20 people on your list, you can have a big discussion about who is #7 vs #8 vs #9. When you have a list 200 names long, you can't spend hours debating who is #119 vs #120 vs #121.

sure, that makes sense. But when do programs typically make their rank lists is sort of what I'm asking. I think most of the programs I've interviewed at have between 40-100 applicants. I am sending programs thank you's and what not, but hoping that certain programs have not yet made their lists yet.

So as mentioned I doubt most programs wait until Feb. to make them, but I would assume that by the end of January most of them are pretty much done?

Some programs will do it right before the ROL deadline, others will do it right after they finish interviewing, and others will be making it as they go along throughout the interview season. No easy answer to your question.

I am sending programs thank you's and what not, but hoping that certain programs have not yet made their lists yet.

You've gotten as good an answer as can be given about when rank lists are made. As to the above - write them all and send them all today. You're asking this question because you're procrastinating. Just get them done.

Reactions: 1 users
You've gotten as good an answer as can be given about when rank lists are made. As to the above - write them all and send them all today. You're asking this question because you're procrastinating. Just get them done.

I agree that the answers are reasonable. I have written numerous, but given that I have gone on multiple interviews, I probably have 40+ to write, and I'm weighing how many people per program I should write. I have written the vast majority of the PDs at programs I'm interested in, but it takes time to write well thought out emails, so I can't do more than a couple a day. So if all rank lists are done, it's kinda pointless. That's why I was asking.

I agree that the answers are reasonable. I have written numerous, but given that I have gone on multiple interviews, I probably have 40+ to write, and I'm weighing how many people per program I should write. I have written the vast majority of the PDs at programs I'm interested in, but it takes time to write well thought out emails, so I can't do more than a couple a day. So if all rank lists are done, it's kinda pointless. That's why I was asking.
I think at the end of the day thank you notes does not matter much. Write them if you really are thankful and have the time to write them. If you think writing the thank you note will magically move you up 10 spots on a program's rank list, you are wrong and you can stop obsessing about thank you notes.

Reactions: 2 users
I think at the end of the day thank you notes does not matter much. Write them if you really are thankful and have the time to write them. If you think writing the thank you note will magically move you up 10 spots on a program's rank list, you are wrong and you can stop obsessing about thank you notes.

Write them to the PD and mention the PC. Forget your interviewers.

THIS.

You are wasting your time if you're writing notes now thinking that it will affect your position on the rank order list. Send the notes because of the polite thing to do or if it makes you feel better but please don't waste your time making that there will be a significant change where you fall on the rank order list.

Write them to the PD and mention the PC. Forget your interviewers.

I think you have a point there. I have written mostly PDs. Some interviewers I really liked/connected with I have written too, but for some interviews, there were between 3-5 interviewers, so I think writing so many emails would be kinda wacked out. Do you think it's a waste of time to write all the interviewers? Just stick to PD?

what about those programs where I did not interview with the PD. How to handle those? Thanks!

what about those programs where I did not interview with the PD. How to handle those? Thanks!

I think you still write the PD rather than the interviewer. Just be a little more specific about who you are, when you interviewed, who you interviewed with, and what you liked about the program.

Reactions: 1 user