MA/MS Program requires 3,000 hour internship?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MasterOf.Science.

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I went to a university today to talk with someone about their master program in psych. They have 2 psych programs- one in counseling and one in "general' psych, which is geared towards research. Both programs are about 2 years long.

HOWEVER

The woman told me that it's required that after students complete all of their classes, they must work 3,000 hours somewhere. This is unpaid. This is about 1.5 years of unpaid work.

Is this normal? The school is in Missouri, right on the state line between KS and MO, if that matters.

Members don't see this ad.

Usually degrees with just a Masters in psychology do not take you very far. I'm in MS- clinical mental health counseling and there are some few students who finished their Masters in psych but needed additional courses from my program to be able to work in the field. My program has a practicum of 400 hours and internship of 600 hours. I believe is best to stick to a master in social work, MFT, MHC but not psychology alone, however, every state is different as I'm in Florida. However, do some research before committing, ask admissions and other students. I'm dreading the hours I need to do for free as practicum is 25 hours 5 days a week ( one semester) and internship is 40 hours a week (one semester). I personally would not want to work for free for a year in a half for a profession that does not really pay much once you even finish. All this is only my opinion, do what's best for you. Good Luck.

I went to a university today to talk with someone about their master program in psych. They have 2 psych programs- one in counseling and one in "general' psych, which is geared towards research. Both programs are about 2 years long.

HOWEVER

The woman told me that it's required that after students complete all of their classes, they must work 3,000 hours somewhere. This is unpaid. This is about 1.5 years of unpaid work.

Is this normal? The school is in Missouri, right on the state line between KS and MO, if that matters.
Is the 3000 hours completed before or after degree is conferred? 3000 pre-degree seems excessive. But my state requires 3300+ once degree is conferred over 2 years full time to be eligible for licensure. The only positions available are in community mental health centers or hospitals that bill Medicaid, residential schools etc. the person is paid so it is not free. Depends on each state however.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
In most states you can work paid during your "licensure hours." For the LCSW in OK I have to accrue 4000 hours, 3000 of which must be explicitly clinical in nature. I am getting paid fair wage for those hours and counting all clinical hours for my clinical licensure. I think I remember that the competition in CA is so stiff that they make people work for free for that time. I don't know the accuracy of that as I'm not in CA.

But otherwise, I second everything that MAClinician said.

Reactions: 1 user
Second Goobernut. My state requires 4,000 supervised hours before testings/full licensure and I'm getting paid a good salary for my time. I can't imagine anyone who's not independently wealthy or married to someone with a solid income possibly being able to complete those requirements without ending up homeless.