Program start dates/orientation dates

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Julietcf14

I'd rather be hiking
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,
I was wondering if people know where I can find the program start dates (mostly for west coast programs). For the most part, none of the websites list them. Also, can anyone share the start dates for their programs this year? I am trying to put together my summer schedule and want to make sure I am back well before I start residency. Thanks!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone,
I was wondering if people know where I can find the program start dates (mostly for west coast programs). For the most part, none of the websites list them. Also, can anyone share the start dates for their programs this year? I am trying to put together my summer schedule and want to make sure I am back well before I start residency.
I am not aware of any centralized location where you can find this information. Part of the problem is that the orientation will usually include some broader institutional sessions, orientation to the local EMR or computer system, and specific departmental orientation. And some of those dates may not be available to the individual programs this far in advance. I have heard of programs starting orientation as early as the second week in June. I wouldn't count on having much of a "summer schedule" next year, unless you can limit it to late May and early June. I would expect that you can get this information about specific programs at the time you interview, but don't be surprised if the dates aren't finalized yet.