Program suggestions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

socloseithurts

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi guys...i'm new to this postbac forum and just had a few questions. i want to apply for a one year postbac/masters program. i completed my bachelors, have all the normal sci classes, took the DAT, and live in FL. do you guys have any suggestions on what programs i can do? i've heard barry was a choice, but i don't know which other ones. any suggestions/names would be helpful. thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

The OP is pre-dent so I don't know if that helps.

Check out some dental schools and see if they have SMPs. Two off the top of my head is Tufts and Midwestern Arizona (the one I am currently at).

Members don't see this ad :)
yea, ive looked at the site before, but there are too many options that are non premed/predental...maybe one day i'll just have to sit down and go through them all.

thanks for the tip about tufts and midwestern. at least that gives me a couple of more options.

do you happen to know when the deadline to apply is?

For Midwestern AZ? It's fairly late; I applied in mid March and got in about mid April. There is a quick phone interview along with it.

I suggest applying early though, like Jan or Feb, because they do fill up.

MWU has two options: the 2 year MBS and the 1 year MA. This is the first year with the MA program, which I am in, and it offers a conditional interview for all MA people. This is for all of their programs (OPT, med, dental, pharm, etc.), so it's a nice thing to have, but you must complete at least 2 quarters and have a certain set of grades/DAT/MCAT, etc.

If you want to know more, I plan to make a MWU SMP thread with info and maybe get some current students in there as well. I was fairly active on the last thread so there's a lot I can tell you and maybe others who are interested.

ooo pre-dent...well i know one that comes to mind..not sure how close you are to NJ..but UMDNJ-MBS in Newark caters to Pre-Dents..

thanks for the tips guys! i really appreciate it! let me know if anyone thinks of anything else. and happy holidays!

Since you live in Florida, check out Barry University and Nova Southeastern, both of which have SMPs.

If you want a true SMP in Fl. then either one of the non IMS MSMS programs in USF is good as is barry or Nova's program

Nova has a dental school affiliated with it so it might help you to garner connections to their dental school.

If you are willing to leave Fl. NJMS has a good program called the BMS master's program that has both classes for dental and med hopefuls which is an SMP sort of program. the medical physio for instance is called med physio or dental or med physio for medicine.

BU is the same way as the NJMS program and has a good program. they also have a good dental school.

I'd consider doing one of the NE programs cuz they have a lot of dental schools up there as well, if not more then Fl.

thanks for the info!