Program Withdrew the interview offer.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sharmaatul11

Reaction score
Hi there,
Two weeks ago I received an interview offer from one of the Neurology programs. However, they withdrew the interview offer just today. Has such a thing happened to anyone? What can be the reason for such thing?

Members don't see this ad.

I’ve heard of it happening when two applicants had very similar names and one was accidentally invited instead of the other.

Also when I applied for fellowship there was a program that cancelled all of its invites (same day they sent them out, before confirming dates) and took all in-house people.

I’m sorry that happened to you I’m sure it must be frustrating/disappointing.

Reactions: 1 users
That's terrible! Shame on that program. If it was their mistake, they should own it and interview you anyway (with an open mind). It's not like either you or they'll be spending money to interview you there this year. It would cost them nothing to do the interview.

Reactions: 3 users
Did you schedule the interview?

Any chance there was fine print - "if interview not scheduled within 2 weeks we reserve the right to offer your interview spot to someone else"?

A program overbook their interview schedule and told me I had to reschedule last minute. I took it personally, wondering why I drew the short straw. I felt that I’d be better than anyone they’d match and told them to go pack sand. Lost out on a nonrefundable airline ticket but no regrets.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
If they withdrew an interview, they are doing you a favor by making up their decision early in the process. Why waste your time if they already made up their mind?

Reactions: 7 users
Happened to someone I know for a fellowship interview - in that case, they decided to just take someone outside of the match. Which isn't possible for residency, but still.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user
Yeah, I'd 2nd the comment that if you didn't schedule it for 2 weeks, it's not a surprise. I recall most having a deadline of some kind for scheduling, or alternatively just having fewer spots than invites, so if you didn't schedule quickly, you didn't get it.

If you did schedule it, then that's messed up for the program to do that.