Programs and Step 2 scores

Started by Icefrog
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Icefrog

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey, just a few question about step 2 CK scores and programs. I just got mine back and found out I did pretty well. Do you think this is worth informing programs you are interested in? My score was automatically released, but I have no idea if the programs will look at this point in the process unless I call their attention to it.

Also, for programs at which I already have interviewed and am highly interested in, does anyone have any advice on whether I should contact them to reiterate my interest and also inform them about my newly released step 2 score?

I understand that programs automatically download new scores as they come in, but I just don't know if they actually look at them or even care about them, especially this late in the process. I would appreciate any insight.

Thanks!
 
I just got mine back and found out I did pretty well. Do you think this is worth informing programs you are interested in?

From my own experience, I would argue that contacting all the programs you really like with an updated Step 2 score is the most important thing you can do. I would email all the programs, and then follow up with a phone call just to reiterate your interest in the program, and mention you wanted to give them an update on your application.

You should also update the programs where you've already interviewed with, in case they use a "point system" to rank you.

Good luck, and congrats.

dc
 
Thanks for your help! Do you think updating is still ok if the Step 2 score is only marginally better than Step 1? (I did relatively well on Step 1 as well.) I don't mean to sound like I am bragging, so I apologize if it comes across that way. It is just that two programs I am most interested in are very, very competitive.
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I would argue that a new, similar Step 2 score isn't exactly headline-making news if your Step 1 was already great. Not to diminish the value of the score itself, but really all you can establish with a consistent Step 2 is "that Step 1 wasn't a fluke, I actually AM this smart."

So, my approach would be, let them know, but it maybe doesn't need to be right now.

You have the opportunity to convey this info and any other pertinent info (new clinical honors, publication, etc) that has transpired since your interview, once the interview season is over and both camps are making their Rank Lists. I emailed my top 5-7 programs' PDs in late Jan/early Feb and let them know of my interest and their approximate placement on my ROL - and saying directly to the #1 that they're #1 - and that's a good opportunity to mention a great Step 2 also.

Or you could do it now - there's no right or wrong answer.
 
Do you think that helped you move up on those programs' rank list? Did you end up matching at #1?

1. No way of knowing. It did seem like some programs, based on a subjective feeling during the interview day and interacting with the PD, were very susceptible to these kinds of "I like you, do you like me?" games. These did not happen to be programs near the top of my list.
2. Yes.