Programs canceling interviews?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CingulateGyro

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Has anyone had experience with programs canceling interviews due to weather? This happened to me this week (which I completely understand given the nature of the storm!)

In the email to applicants we weren't offered a reschedule date. I am wondering if this is normal and I should count this as a lost opportunity as there may be little time to reschedule. I reached out expressing interest in a new interview date but haven't heard back. I'd normally just relax and wait but it's a place I am interested in and was hoping to cancel interviews at places I am not interested in.

I was hoping to cancel these interviews this week to give far enough in advance notice but I don't want to assume this program will offer me a rescheduled date. Oh well, weather happens!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I had a mix. A couple of places offered me rescheduling options due to weather. Another did not.

Not much you can do about it. Clearly don't cancel interviews that you have lined up for a reschedule date that may never come; would be better to cancel at the last minute and annoy someone at a program you'll never go to than miss an opportunity at a place you might.

I had a mix. A couple of places offered me rescheduling options due to weather. Another did not.

Not much you can do about it. Clearly don't cancel interviews that you have lined up for a reschedule date that may never come; would be better to cancel at the last minute and annoy someone at a program you'll never go to than miss an opportunity at a place you might.
Even if the program was the one that canceled?

But I agree. Just a bummer because a last minute cancel means An unused spot. I have friends with <5 interviews in my field.

Hopefully I will find out either way soon

Update: they offered a new date for us. Now time to make some cancellations!

For future applicants: don't put all your top choices in January if they are in the northeast or northwest. I tried to place things where made sense geographically

Reactions: 1 user
Update: they offered a new date for us. Now time to make some cancellations!

For future applicants: don't put all your top choices in January if they are in the northeast or northwest. I tried to place things where made sense geographically

Don't put all your top choices in January, period. Things happen, and it's better to have the flexbility to change to another date than to miss on a potential interview because you scheduled late.

This obviously only applies to specialties where you have significant choice in when you schedule.

Don't put all your top choices in January, period. Things happen, and it's better to have the flexbility to change to another date than to miss on a potential interview because you scheduled late.

This obviously only applies to specialties where you have significant choice in when you schedule.

Agreed. Hope future applicants see this.