• Advice You're Thankful for Contest

Now that it's getting close to Thanksgiving, we're running a contest to hear advice you've received that you're most thankful for! This can be any type of advice and the advice with the most reactions will win!

JOIN CONTEST

Programs for Below-Average MD Applicants?

Status
Not open for further replies.

arcticNE

7+ Year Member
Jun 26, 2014
  1. Medical Student
    Any advice on programs to target as a very below average applicant? My and my wife’s family are in Philly, so we want to stay close-ish (maybe 5-6 hour drive tops) and like urban much more than rural. I’m hoping to go into ID which I gather isn’t the most competitive but want to keep the option open. Academic places preferable but beggars can’t be choosers so anywhere is OK!

Med School: Top 20 Northeast
    Step: 216 step 1, expecting not amazing on step 2 (practice ~235)
    M3: Half honors (but not medicine)
    Research: 3 first-author publications, 3 conference presentations
    Other: Leader of sex ed program in two local high schools, did healthcare investment banking for 4 years before med school, no failures/retakes/etc.

Thoughts on Temple/Drexel, Hofstra/Einstein, GW/Georgetown/UMD as reaches? Then any strong community programs to target? Already planning Pennsylvania Hospital, Einstein Philly, SLR + Beth Israel among others but not sure what level I should be aiming for.

Last edited:
    I think you've got a decent shot at a university program. Don't forget about Montefiore in the Bronx, the other AECOM program Jacobi is a decent community program as well. Johns Hopkins Bayview in Baltimore is also a strong community program.

I don't think Jefferson would be completely out of the question pending your Step 2.

About the Ads
    Status
    Not open for further replies.