programs known to have good hours

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

btmed772

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Which programs are known for having the best hours/work schedule during residency? Which are known for having the most grueling? (all relative to anesthesiology, of course)

Members don't see this ad.

i've heard "we work hard", which i take as "we work [comparatively] long hours" from ucsf, yale, columbia, hopkins, penn

i heard wash u is hard core, too

what about NY Presb - Cornell?

Members don't see this ad :)
I am in residency at the Ochsner Clinic in New Orleans. Historically we have had great hours, usually leaving about 3pm daily. Ironically, lately we have been working longer because there are fewer hospitals open in the area. But, it's not all that bad, and I still usually get out by 4, unless I choose to stay late (Moonlighting $)

I have actually been asking along the trail about hours - most PD have a printout with the averages for CA-1, CA-2 and CA-3. At Wash U (where they have a hardworking rep) the hours were like 64, 62 and 61 respectively for each year. At UVA, where the rep is the opposite I asked the same question and their hours were lighter but only by a few per week, like 2-3.

Hockeyguy said:
I have actually been asking along the trail about hours - most PD have a printout with the averages for CA-1, CA-2 and CA-3. At Wash U (where they have a hardworking re the ours were like 64, 62 and 61 respectively for each year. At UVA, where the rep is the opposite I asked the same question and their hours were lighter but inly by a few per week, like 2-3.
dont know if thats the best way to ascertain work hours. I've heard of residents (not at where ur talking about) that clock out but still remain in the hosp to finish work. Of course, I don tknow if thats applicable to anesthesiology..but it's something we should all think about.

ThinkFast007 said:
dont know if thats the best way to ascertain work hours. I've heard of residents (not at where ur talking about) that clock out but still remain in the hosp to finish work. Of course, I don tknow if thats applicable to anesthesiology..but it's something we should all think about.

I have a couple of friends I graduated with at programs that encourage underclocking your hours( neither of them in anesthesiology). You can spot those by being the programs that have reported hours just below the 80 hour/week mark. Since people in general don't like to lie, most will fudge their hours if over to being just below the 80 hour work rule, not 20 hours below. If a program is reporting mid 60's, its very unlikely they encourage their residents to lie (by telling them that they will get evaluated for professionalism or some other BS if they go over).
Just something to keep in mind if you interview at any programs that are reporting high 70's in work hours.