Programs not accepting students this cycle?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

herbalgarden

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a few questions about this application cycle to anyone a little more informed:

1) Which programs are not participating in ERAS?
2) Which programs are not participating in the match at all?
3) What day/days during interview season will most attendings be away (i.e. national conferences)?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I have a few questions about this application cycle to anyone a little more informed:

1) Which programs are not participating in ERAS?
2) Which programs are not participating in the match at all?
3) What day/days during interview season will most attendings be away (i.e. national conferences)?

Thanks!

Your first two questions are great questions and I encourage all who have any tidbit of information to contribute to its compilation in this thread. I wish I had had this at my disposal last year.

The answer to the third question is that any days during interview season in which any substantial number of attendings will be missing will not be dates the program will pick to hold interviews. ASTRO is the big meeting that has traditionally been close to interview season (late Oct-early Nov, which is still a bit before the radonc interview season), but this year ASTRO will be held in September. It will be interesting to see whether interviews start rolling in earlier than usual this year once this is over.

I know that Mount Sinai in NYC is not interviewing this cycle, since they only have 6 spots for the 4 advanced years and they prefer the 2-2-2-0 approach.

Also, Moffit is not interviewing this year as well.

Any other programs that people know of?

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got an email from their program coordinator in reply to my inquiry about application specifics. Says their complement is full. Wish they would have let the AAMC know that before hand, as I'm sure many will apply like I did without knowing that they're not participating in the match this year.

I was curious too so I emailed them.

"Our current residency complement is full through 2010. Therefore, we will not participate in the 2009 match."

Don't worry, there's other fish in the sea :)

Again, how do we find out which programs are accepting students this cycle, but not participating in the NRMP match?

Unfortunately, there is no simple answer. Some of the programs on ERAS will be grayed out and won't let you apply to them at all, you can just see those on the ERAS site. And if you compare the Freida list to the programs on ERAS you will find a few that don't use ERAS applications (i.e. U Washington, NCI, etc.) but there are always a few that ERAS allows you to pay and apply for that end up not being programs taking applicants. The only way to be sure really is to contact the individual programs you are interested in to make sure they are accepting applications (or find out word of mouth or on SDN, like this thread is supposed to be doing).

University of Washington does not participate in ERAS, they have an application available on their website.

Duke is not participating this year. :mad:

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not sure about this year, but last year University of Rochester took applications off-match.

The University of Rochester filled four spots during last year's application cycle: two for 2009 in the Match and two for 2008 off-Match (these two positions were both granted after the previous year's ERAS deadline).

They will be accepting applications for 2010 through ERAS this year.

It's a great program in a brand new Cancer Center!

Duke has a history of having 0-2 residents per year, and then have one year with 5 residents. Now it looks like they have 6 PGY-2 residents and then 1-2 from PGY-3 to PGY-5. Basically it seems that they are totally filled because of this HUGE PGY-2 class.

Why they decided to operate their program like that is beyond me? I would actually like to hear an answer if there is someone on the message board familiar with Duke or this type of situation.

Columbia and Cornell have yet to download my app yet. Does anyone know if either of them is planning on interviewing this year? It just seems late for them to have not downloaded anything...

Thanks!

Columbia and Cornell have yet to download my app yet. Does anyone know if either of them is planning on interviewing this year? It just seems late for them to have not downloaded anything...

Thanks!

Don't worry - last year there were many programs who were pretty late uploading applications.

I called the program and was informed that Louisville is not accepting apps for this years match.

This is the University of Louisville in Kentucky?

yes. They are grayed out on ERAS, so I called and asked if that meant not participating in ERAS or not taking apps at all. I was told that they do not have any open positions for '10 that they are interviewing for this year.

Just received word through ERAS that VCU will not be offering any PGY-2 positions for 2010. :(

Just received word through ERAS that VCU will not be offering any PGY-2 positions for 2010. :(

Am I correct with the years, that by this you mean that this impacts people that are applying for this years match who would start RAD/ONC in july of 2010. Do you know if they will be offering any positions for next years match?

Yes, you are correct. They are not interviewing for this years match. They also said that they would be interviewing next year for 2 spots.

I think I asked this somewhere before, but is there an "official" listing anywhere of programs who are not accepting this cycle? Or, is this the best "unofficial"site for this kind of info?