Programs not participating in ERAS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

F1rstGen

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Noticed that some of the residency programs I was interested in applying to are not participating in ERAS this year. Some of these aren't super small community programs either so does anyone have any input on what might be the issue?

Particularly Marshall University and University of South Alabama. Both are decent size programs with a mission that aligns well with my career goals so I'm bummed out that they appear to not be accepting applications this upcoming cycle.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Noticed that some of the residency programs I was interested in applying to are not participating in ERAS this year. Some of these aren't super small community programs either so does anyone have any input on what might be the issue?

Particularly Marshall University and University of South Alabama. Both are decent size programs with a mission that aligns well with my career goals so I'm bummed out that they appear to not be accepting applications this upcoming cycle.
I know some east coast programs that take a lot of IMGs tend to match out of ERAS, they aren't necessarily small, but often time it become a sweatshop with little fellowship opportunity.

Give it a month or two. From what I recall, programs have to go in and verify that they're participating in ERAS each year, and given residency applications don't open till September, they might just not have done it yet.

I know some east coast programs that take a lot of IMGs tend to match out of ERAS, they aren't necessarily small, but often time it become a sweatshop with little fellowship opportunity.

Offhand, I cannot think of any programs that don't participate in ERAS (the application service). You're thinking programs that don't participate in the NRMP (the matching service).

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Give it a month or two. From what I recall, programs have to go in and verify that they're participating in ERAS each year, and given residency applications don't open till September, they might just not have done it yet.

Offhand, I cannot think of any programs that don't participate in ERAS (the application service). You're thinking programs that don't participate in the NRMP (the matching service).
yes that's what I meant, sorry for the confusion.

I agree with Raryn, OP mentioned Marshall University, I know they are now in ERAS as I do remember applying to that program.