programs that allow for personal life

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

naiveoptimist

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
So while going through the scutwork reviews, I noticed many people advising applicants to not come here "if you're looking for a cush program." I'm curious about what these "cush" are:D. I definitely want to learn in residency and emerge a competent physician, but I also want to strike a balance between my personal and professional life. I'd like to know what the more family friendly programs are to see if they are a good match for me.

Members don't see this ad.

You should be able to strike a balance between your personal and professional life at 95% of anesthesiology residencies. The number of new moms and dads at my program (well-known for being _not_ so cush) speaks to that. I would avoid training at a "cush" program as it may just mean you're being inadequately prepared for life after residency. Just one CA1's opinion.

So while going through the scutwork reviews, I noticed many people advising applicants to not come here "if you're looking for a cush program." I'm curious about what these "cush" are:D. I definitely want to learn in residency and emerge a competent physician, but I also want to strike a balance between my personal and professional life. I'd like to know what the more family friendly programs are to see if they are a good match for me.

Most programs require somewhere between 60-70 hours. The prestigious programs send you near 80 (ex: Stanford, UCSF, JHU...) more often than occasionally. But like the OP, I don't care about being beaten for 3/4 years so I can pretty much get a fellowship that I can get from a A- program (ex: NWMH, UofChicago, BID....). Experience by hours is overrated because if the cases are pretty much similar, then you'll never engage your mind to handle new situations cuz you never get to read. Yet, you'll be really good at the basics.

The presence of CRNAs matters because they take the burden of boring stuff like eye cases. Some programs have less and some utilize them more. And attendings willing to step in the OR and do some cases (rare at most places). Overall, hours are better than internal medicine (except some easy consult month) so you're better off in general. University of Illinois Chicago has great hours and policies for residents. Rarely, residents are present until 5-6pm on regular days, and if you stay late on regular days, you are given hours toward more days off.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think this is a situation where you should strive to be "average." You do not want to be at a program where residents seem to work fewer (or more) hours than almost any other residency program. (Avoid the extremes in either direction.)

The key concept is residency "training." You are preparing yourself for your life after residency. You need exposure to an adequate number of quality cases to be prepared to be out on your own. You also need to prepare yourself for the realities of practice after residency.

If you train at a program that promises to get you out of the OR every day at 3 p.m., you may be inadequately prepared to deal with the realities of many private practice jobs. (No work hour restrictions, no post call days off, etc.)

Part of the training during residency involves managing the most important commodity you own--time. Learning to make the most of your personal time will make you a happier physician.

Seek a program where residents seem busy but happy. Ask the residents if they have hobbies, spouses, children, etc.. If the residents seem to have a desirable life outside of medicine, this program will probably meet your goals.

(Much of this will need to be elicited during your interview visit to a program. It is hard to establish this based on anesthesia residency program brochures and web sites.)

I think this is a situation where you should strive to be "average." You do not want to be at a program where residents seem to work fewer (or more) hours than almost any other residency program. (Avoid the extremes in either direction.)

The key concept is residency "training." You are preparing yourself for your life after residency. You need exposure to an adequate number of quality cases to be prepared to be out on your own. You also need to prepare yourself for the realities of practice after residency.

If you train at a program that promises to get you out of the OR every day at 3 p.m., you may be inadequately prepared to deal with the realities of many private practice jobs. (No work hour restrictions, no post call days off, etc.)

Part of the training during residency involves managing the most important commodity you own--time. Learning to make the most of your personal time will make you a happier physician.

Seek a program where residents seem busy but happy. Ask the residents if they have hobbies, spouses, children, etc.. If the residents seem to have a desirable life outside of medicine, this program will probably meet your goals.

(Much of this will need to be elicited during your interview visit to a program. It is hard to establish this based on anesthesia residency program brochures and web sites.)