Programs that only take people after completing IM?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

C Chance

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was reading Iserson's guide to Residency and in the Derm section I read there are programs that only take those who have finished an IM residency - it seemed to indicate this was separate from those IM/derm programs. I was wondering if these programs do in fact exist and if anyone has any knowledge of such programs. On a similar note, has anyone here done an IM residency and then a Derm residency? Is it exceedingly rare or is it possible?

Members don't see this ad.

That makes no sense at all. Why would a program do that? They would have to fund the person out of their own pocket, if I understand it correctly. Some programs take people who have done another residency but to make it exclusive? Makes no sense.

I was reading Iserson's guide to Residency and in the Derm section I read there are programs that only take those who have finished an IM residency - it seemed to indicate this was separate from those IM/derm programs. I was wondering if these programs do in fact exist and if anyone has any knowledge of such programs. On a similar note, has anyone here done an IM residency and then a Derm residency? Is it exceedingly rare or is it possible?

This is probably an outdated or incorrect statement by Iserson. Although some derm programs will accept residents who have already completed another residency (peds is the most common one I've seen), I'm pretty sure there are no programs that ONLY take people who have already done IM.

Why are you worrying about this? Your status says you are still a med student, so if you're interested in doing medicine and derm, go for a med/derm program. If you're interested in just medicine, do medicine. I wouldn't do medicine with the idea of applying for derm after you're finished. This will likely just decrease your chances of getting into derm because many programs won't take people who have already completed a residency since the resident won't be funded by the government.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
This is probably an outdated or incorrect statement by Iserson. Although some derm programs will accept residents who have already completed another residency (peds is the most common one I've seen), I'm pretty sure there are no programs that ONLY take people who have already done IM.

Why are you worrying about this? Your status says you are still a med student, so if you're interested in doing medicine and derm, go for a med/derm program. If you're interested in just medicine, do medicine. I wouldn't do medicine with the idea of applying for derm after you're finished. This will likely just decrease your chances of getting into derm because many programs won't take people who have already completed a residency since the resident won't be funded by the government.

Why are Peds more common than others? As for the funding issue, I hear conflicting things, some say it is not possible, but I'm starting to think its not impossible. I choose IM really because I didn't really know what I wanted to do and figured it was broad enough to give me options after 3 yrs residency OR I could switch out after intern year to something else.

A way to play the odds might be to search out programs who don't take federal funding. It stands to reason that if these places already don't take government funding, they have less to lose by taking a resident who is on the second time around.

You can also check the past match lists, and some list if/where they previously did a residency.

My mentor once mentioned to me that SLU (under their previous PD, not the current) looked favorably upon those who had completed other residencies. I also think that Marshfield and Mayo do not take federal funding, but I wouldn't swear to it.

Can someone answer the question: why peds residents have more success getting into derm residencies vs IM residents?

because peds derm is a derm fellowship.

plus kids are basically little walking rashes, and so peds docs are already amateur derms at the start.

plus people finishing peds residencies are usually less weird and mutanty than IM people.