programs w/ good lifestyles

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rxg16

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a 3rd year student, and I was wondering whether any students or residents have any info regarding the work schedules at the various psych residencies in Philadelphia, New York, DC, and Chicago. Which place(s) would you say have the easiest call schedules? Where are the demands on a resident the least? If you have any nasty remarks about my work ethic, please keep them to yourself; I've heard enough criticism from my colleagues who are going into surgery and internal med, and I don't need to hear any more from my psych bretheren.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Can't comment too much on programs in the cities you mentioned, but MUSC in Charleston, SC, (supposedly "one of the earth's great cities"[?]) has a gorgeous call schedule in that nearly all of their psych call is night float. As I understand it, you boil down all call into 2 months of night float (per year,) and then you have a tiny handful (like maybe 10 total) of calls left to do for the rest of the year. (Of course, your PGY 1 is a little different, given that you are on medicine for part of it, etc....) Check it out.

good luck to you!

i totally understand what you're saying....
check out albert einstein COM 's program
very learning focused
the whole place could run without the psych residents
because the chairman is committed to teaching residents
and feels that being overworked gets in the way of that
well, that was the impression i got anyway but its worth checking out

Members don't see this ad :)
Check out Stanford. It is a great program, the call schedule rocks, mostly night float and home call. One year is completely call free. Residency director is very resident friendly and the residents are all very bright.

Plus you get great stanford training and you can live on the west coast.

Good luck

San Mateo County residency ----no required call except during 6 months of first year (psych) and during 1 month neurology at san francisco general. Unless it's changed. Less call than Stanford.