Programs with Failed CORE?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Member 8095721

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone know which residency programs have residents who failed the CORE exam?

Members don't see this ad.

A LOT of them.

Members don't see this ad :)
13% of residents failed this year, about the same as every year.

I expect it to be widely variable, but the 13% figure was the same quoted by one of my co-residents who took the last CORE.
That number comes from a Val Jackson MD tweet (). However, it has not been posted on their website in any official form.

I took it this year, too. It was way harder than described by prior years of residents.

I heard the fail rate was ~23% this year, but it's just hearsay.

@NotABR is a fantastic twitter account to read

Source?

This is much much lower than what I’ve heard anecdotally.

I know of community programs with 50% failure.

Indiana had a high failure rate.

50% of the major program residents in DC failed (GW and Georgetown combined).

High fail rates are not limited to the community programs.

I don't believe the ABR with their 13% nonsense. Why would you ever believe anything they say? They wouldn't even admit that you couldn't fail individual sections until their own screw-up proved it. Valorie Jackson wouldn't even show her face on Twitter until someone called her out for being a fake account and forced her to verify.

Indiana had a high failure rate.

50% of the major program residents in DC failed (GW and Georgetown combined).

High fail rates are not limited to the community programs.

I don't believe the ABR with their 13% nonsense. Why would you ever believe anything they say? They wouldn't even admit that you couldn't fail individual sections until their own screw-up proved it. Valorie Jackson wouldn't even show her face on Twitter until someone called her out for being a fake account and forced her to verify.
Agree. I don’t believe anything they say about this exam either. Shameful.

I’m actually all for a tougher exam (in general). What we do isn’t easy, and it should be recognized as such. If other specialities want to try and read images, they better be able to pass the standards we hold ourselves to.

That being said, the test should then be defined as a challenging test. None of this “don’t need to study” garbage.

Reactions: 1 user
What we do isn’t easy, and it should be recognized as such. If other specialities want to try and read images, they better be able to pass the standards we hold ourselves to.

Radiology is by no means easy. But I don't think other specialties are trying to read images in general. They want to read within their own specialty. Cardiology wants to read cardiac CT/MR, MFM and OBGYN want to read their own ultrasounds, neurology/neurosurgery want to read their own head CTs and MRs. Even pulmonologists at times think they read lung CT better than chest radiologists.

Cardiologists would rather take cardiac imaging boards as opposed to general radiology boards. But the problem is, if you image the heart, you also need to read the lungs, bones and other anatomy in the field of view. I have heard of cardiologists sending their studies to radiologists for overread of adjacent anatomy and paying them peanuts for it.

I have heard of cardiologists sending their studies to radiologists for overread of adjacent anatomy and paying them peanuts for it.

And we should just outright refuse, no matter what the offer is...But especially if it's for peanuts.