trkd

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 23, 2002
719
3
San Diego
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
I am curious, what programs have a night float month or whatever? I heard Metrohealth is. Any others?
 
OP
trkd

trkd

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 23, 2002
719
3
San Diego
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
Apollyon said:
Mt. Sinai (NYC) did, although I don't know if they still do.

I tried to institute it at Duke, and was roundly shot down.
I don't understand why everyone is not in love with this idea. Sounds ideal.
 

mikecwru

M.D. = Massive Debt
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 21, 2002
948
13
Ohio
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
trkd said:
I am curious, what programs have a night float month or whatever? I heard Metrohealth is. Any others?
What do you mean by "night float?" Like, a month of nights to decrease your overall nights during other ED months?

Metro does not do this. When I was chief, we looked into it and did the math, the month of nights (relatively painful) did not decrease your total nights per year significantly in your other months, so we thought it best to bag the idea.

mike
 

kungfufishing

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2003
1,053
6
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
I think that learning to manage intermittent nights/circadian disruption is part of training.
 

emeddo

OMS
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 18, 2006
190
0
Grand Blanc, MI
Status
Resident [Any Field]
kungfufishing said:
I think that learning to manage intermittent nights/circadian disruption is part of training.
I thought physicians in training didn't have circadian rhythms anymore :)
 

margaritaboy

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 13, 2003
397
6
The Desert
Status
Attending Physician
Night month has worked for us pretty well.

Normally we work between 1-3 night shifts per month. Some people think the night month is painful, I actually found it pretty doable, since we get our weekends off. Not a bad deal.

I like this system because I don't like flipping back and forth between days and nights. Just my 2 cents.
 
OP
trkd

trkd

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 23, 2002
719
3
San Diego
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
mikecwru said:
What do you mean by "night float?" Like, a month of nights to decrease your overall nights during other ED months?

Metro does not do this. When I was chief, we looked into it and did the math, the month of nights (relatively painful) did not decrease your total nights per year significantly in your other months, so we thought it best to bag the idea.

mike
I was under the impression that some programs do something in the way of a month of nights for a couple residents at a time and the rest don't do nights (or rarely do nights) until their night float month. So, for example, I do 11 months of day and evening shifts with a month (or broken into two 2-week blocks) of nights only. No?

I am not terribly opposed to working nights. I just think the night float system sounds ideal. As for metrohealth, I just heard someone else say that there was a night float thing going on in an old post. I actually haven't personally been to any programs that have this.
 
OP
trkd

trkd

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 23, 2002
719
3
San Diego
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
margaritaboy said:
Night month has worked for us pretty well.

Normally we work between 1-3 night shifts per month. Some people think the night month is painful, I actually found it pretty doable, since we get our weekends off. Not a bad deal.

I like this system because I don't like flipping back and forth between days and nights. Just my 2 cents.
Sounds sweet! :thumbup:
 

dlung

Postprelim intern oranges
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2004
352
1
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
I did two weeks of medicine night float during my prelim year and felt very sad, lonely, and nearly insane... the R2-R3 medicine guys who do it for an entire month look miserable by the end of it... But, I suppose it could be easier in the ED since everything is more fun and happy there anyways...
 

BKN

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
Oct 31, 2005
1,560
4
dlung said:
I did two weeks of medicine night float during my prelim year and felt very sad, lonely, and nearly insane... the R2-R3 medicine guys who do it for an entire month look miserable by the end of it... But, I suppose it could be easier in the ED since everything is more fun and happy there anyways...
I ran a military ED years ago. There were four of us. A MOD schedule covered the vacation days. So, we did a great schedule that was set for years in advance.

12 hr shifts, One week of Mon, Tue, Fri, Sat, next week Sun, Wed, Thur. Repeat.

One month days, one month nights.

Point is, one night at a time or no less than 3 weeks of them for maximal circadian health.
 

turtle md

Hardware Included
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 22, 2005
771
0
just over there
Status
Attending Physician
At Christiana, we have a month of nights. One from each year year covers. When we are on nights, we work Sunday-Thusrday, with all weekends off. When we aren't on nights, we average about 1 weekend/month for EM-1, and 1 weekend in 2 months for EM-2 and EM-3. It is a nice schedule for all. When on nights, you can get used to a reversed day (and if you can't, it may suck for a month, but the rest of the year ain't too bad :) )
 
OP
trkd

trkd

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 23, 2002
719
3
San Diego
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
BKN said:
I ran a military ED years ago. There were four of us. A MOD schedule covered the vacation days. So, we did a great schedule that was set for years in advance.

12 hr shifts, One week of Mon, Tue, Fri, Sat, next week Sun, Wed, Thur. Repeat.

One month days, one month nights.

Point is, one night at a time or no less than 3 weeks of them for maximal circadian health.
How about the program in el paso now? Or have you forced all the residents to wear camoflage scrubs and calling it a "military ED"? :laugh:
 

BKN

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
Oct 31, 2005
1,560
4
Residents set the schedule within RRC parameters. They've chosen 12s apparently they like their days off. I ask them to write the schedule to change over only once in a month.

And the uniform is royal blue scrubs vs shirt and tie.

Not quite a military ED, but similar. Now drop and give me twenty.