MSSLP2MD

I aim to misbehave
Aug 31, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
Posting here too, not to flood anyone but I wasn't sure if there may be anyone who only hangs out in one forum who would otherwise miss.

So I've been doing got a bit of reading trying to locate which, if any, programs have some good nutritional education.
Now, I'm not saying to take the place of a (good) nutritionist or anything, but many people can't afford referrals out to something other than their primary care. And I don't think it's ever bad to have a good grasp on it.
Most of what I'm finding are articles about how med schools lack this rather than med schools adding this in.
So for those in med school, or working for one, or just know, what do you say?

DrPatriot

2+ Year Member
May 27, 2015
Good Ole' USA
Status
Medical Student
Posting here too, not to flood anyone but I wasn't sure if there may be anyone who only hangs out in one forum who would otherwise miss.

So I've been doing got a bit of reading trying to locate which, if any, programs have some good nutritional education.
Now, I'm not saying to take the place of a (good) nutritionist or anything, but many people can't afford referrals out to something other than their primary care. And I don't think it's ever bad to have a good grasp on it.
Most of what I'm finding are articles about how med schools lack this rather than med schools adding this in.
So for those in med school, or working for one, or just know, what do you say?
When I interviewed at LECOM-B they talked about a professor who taught nutrition to their students. They thought it was somewhat important because of what you mentioned above, "many people can't afford referrals out to something other than their primary care."

Rekt

2+ Year Member
May 29, 2015
Status
Resident [Any Field]
The problem is, any nutrition education will be short-lived. You'll quickly forget whatever you learned after they start dumping the next truckload of curriculum on you.

Limvostov

Gold Member
10+ Year Member
Mar 17, 2008
Aloof...
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
Agreed, nutrition course on top of what you're already expected to learn is a waste. It was so obvious at my school that the professor basically gave us the test answers before the exam because she knew we would otherwise fail her course. The other 9 or 10 courses we were taking were more important... Except of course our community doctoring course which was pure fluff bs.

Ophiuchus

2+ Year Member
Sep 1, 2014
Status
Medical Student
When I interviewed at LECOM-B they talked about a professor who taught nutrition to their students. They thought it was somewhat important because of what you mentioned above, "many people can't afford referrals out to something other than their primary care."

Yes. At the start of each new semester, we have 2-3 weeks of mini-courses. Basically just "important topics in medicine that don't fit nicely into PBL." It's kind of a peaceful way to ramp into the semester actually.

Nutrition is one of these mini-courses. As the other posters said, it is a short course just due to demands, but I enjoyed it a lot. It's one of those courses where you can tell the professor teaching it is into the topic. Ultimately, the take-home facts are mostly the same things we needed to know for boards: vitamin deficiencies, atherosclerosis, nutritional biochem. But there was plenty of leeway and material for self-investigation.

For what it's worth, I enjoyed it a lot and changed my diet up a bit as a result.

Reactions: IslandStyle808