Progress Check - Suggestions greatly needed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

LuminousTruth

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I've been studying for almost 2 months now and I am planning to take the 8/17 MCAT exam. I'm enrolled in the TPR course and so far we are about 70-80% done with content review. Content review should be done in 3 weeks (based on progress of class)

I have taken all the TPR exams.

Exam | PS VR BS Total
TPR 1: 5 3 5 (13)
TPR 2: 4 4 7 (15)
TPR 3: 7 6 8 (21)
TPR 4: 7 7 10 (24)
TPR 5: 8 7 10 (25)

Am I on track for the 8/17 date? I am aiming for a 34+ on the real deal.

I have not started on AAMCs yet. Is it better to do more of TPR exams (the TPR Cracking MCAT full lengths) before doing AAMC so I don't waste the AAMCs? Or is it time to start taking AAMCs?

Would you all recommend the additional TPR diagnostic bio/chem/phys/ochem passages?

I'm looking to be done with content review before the end of week 11. How does this schedule look? Week 9 is 7/14 weekend and week 14 is week of exam.

Week 9: AAMC 3
Week 10: AAMC 4
Week 11: AAMC 5 + AAMC 6
Week 12: AAMC 7 + AAMC 8
Week 13: AAMC 9 + AAMC 10
Week 14: AAMC 11

Any comments, suggestions, feedback is greatly appreciated!
 
I've been studying for almost 2 months now and I am planning to take the 8/17 MCAT exam. I'm enrolled in the TPR course and so far we are about 70-80% done with content review. Content review should be done in 3 weeks (based on progress of class)

I have taken all the TPR exams.

Exam | PS VR BS Total
TPR 1: 5 3 5 (13)
TPR 2: 4 4 7 (15)
TPR 3: 7 6 8 (21)
TPR 4: 7 7 10 (24)
TPR 5: 8 7 10 (25)

Am I on track for the 8/17 date? I am aiming for a 34+ on the real deal.

I have not started on AAMCs yet. Is it better to do more of TPR exams (the TPR Cracking MCAT full lengths) before doing AAMC so I don't waste the AAMCs? Or is it time to start taking AAMCs?

Would you all recommend the additional TPR diagnostic bio/chem/phys/ochem passages?

I'm looking to be done with content review before the end of week 11. How does this schedule look? Week 9 is 7/14 weekend and week 14 is week of exam.

Week 9: AAMC 3
Week 10: AAMC 4
Week 11: AAMC 5 + AAMC 6
Week 12: AAMC 7 + AAMC 8
Week 13: AAMC 9 + AAMC 10
Week 14: AAMC 11

Any comments, suggestions, feedback is greatly appreciated!

Have you reviewed your TPR exams? Try to zone in on your weaknesses?

That's what I would do next if I were you. Go through the exam and figure out what topics hurt you the most then attack those one by one.

Before you take the AAMC FLs, try the self assessment package. If I were to do those over again, I'd break them up into little mini FLs.. i.e. do a little of each in order each sitting. That will also help you figure out where you are content deficient.

A month is more than enough time to fit in all the AAMC FLs so I would focus on those things above before hitting them sometime next week.

34 from a 25 isn't impossible but certainly a lot of work.. though I don't really know how TPR grading compares..
 
I've been studying for almost 2 months now and I am planning to take the 8/17 MCAT exam. I'm enrolled in the TPR course and so far we are about 70-80% done with content review. Content review should be done in 3 weeks (based on progress of class)

I have taken all the TPR exams.

Exam | PS VR BS Total
TPR 1: 5 3 5 (13)
TPR 2: 4 4 7 (15)
TPR 3: 7 6 8 (21)
TPR 4: 7 7 10 (24)
TPR 5: 8 7 10 (25)

Am I on track for the 8/17 date? I am aiming for a 34+ on the real deal.

I have not started on AAMCs yet. Is it better to do more of TPR exams (the TPR Cracking MCAT full lengths) before doing AAMC so I don't waste the AAMCs? Or is it time to start taking AAMCs?

Would you all recommend the additional TPR diagnostic bio/chem/phys/ochem passages?

I'm looking to be done with content review before the end of week 11. How does this schedule look? Week 9 is 7/14 weekend and week 14 is week of exam.

Week 9: AAMC 3
Week 10: AAMC 4
Week 11: AAMC 5 + AAMC 6
Week 12: AAMC 7 + AAMC 8
Week 13: AAMC 9 + AAMC 10
Week 14: AAMC 11

Any comments, suggestions, feedback is greatly appreciated!
Wow!!! From 13 (TPR1) to 25 (TPR5) is a hell of an improvement in 2 months. How have you been studying to have that kind of improvement? I started with 20 (TPR1) three months ago and I am still at 24 on my last AAMC (9). I must be doing something wrong then. I am not taking TPR class but I use their online materials. You might be able to crack 30+ on AAMC since I believe the PS and VR of TPR FL are harder than AAMCs. Take AAMC3 so you can see how you stack up against the AAMC format or style...
 
Have you reviewed your TPR exams? Try to zone in on your weaknesses?

That's what I would do next if I were you. Go through the exam and figure out what topics hurt you the most then attack those one by one.

Before you take the AAMC FLs, try the self assessment package. If I were to do those over again, I'd break them up into little mini FLs.. i.e. do a little of each in order each sitting. That will also help you figure out where you are content deficient.

A month is more than enough time to fit in all the AAMC FLs so I would focus on those things above before hitting them sometime next week.

34 from a 25 isn't impossible but certainly a lot of work.. though I don't really know how TPR grading compares..

I did review the TPR exams. Is the self assessment package really worth it? I heard mixed reviews about buying it. Is it structured in a way that goes from easiest to hardest passages? How long does it take to complete the whole thing?

Wow!!! From 13 (TPR1) to 25 (TPR5) is a hell of an improvement in 2 months. How have you been studying to have that kind of improvement? I started with 20 (TPR1) three months ago and I am still at 24 on my last AAMC (9). I must be doing something wrong then. I am not taking TPR class but I use their online materials. You might be able to crack 30+ on AAMC since I believe the PS and VR of TPR FL are harder than AAMCs. Take AAMC3 so you can see how you stack up against the AAMC format or style...

I've been putting in like 5-7 hours a day including the class time. I think what helped the most was doing the Science workbook. I've done just about every HW set that was assigned. Even then, I'm still not sure how this stacks up with AAMCs. I know that TPR is harder but is it better doing a AAMC FL ASAP to gauge where I'm at or save it until after content review?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I did review the TPR exams. Is the self assessment package really worth it? I heard mixed reviews about buying it. Is it structured in a way that goes from easiest to hardest passages? How long does it take to complete the whole thing?



I've been putting in like 5-7 hours a day including the class time. I think what helped the most was doing the Science workbook. I've done just about every HW set that was assigned. Even then, I'm still not sure how this stacks up with AAMCs. I know that TPR is harder but is it better doing a AAMC FL ASAP to gauge where I'm at or save it until after content review?

Do the self assessment, honestly, its great

Also, I would stop doing TPR and do other exams, I heard theres suck
 
I did review the TPR exams. Is the self assessment package really worth it? I heard mixed reviews about buying it. Is it structured in a way that goes from easiest to hardest passages? How long does it take to complete the whole thing?



I've been putting in like 5-7 hours a day including the class time. I think what helped the most was doing the Science workbook. I've done just about every HW set that was assigned. Even then, I'm still not sure how this stacks up with AAMCs. I know that TPR is harder but is it better doing a AAMC FL ASAP to gauge where I'm at or save it until after content review?
I think you should start doing AAMCs FL since they are close to the actual test
 
You've made good progress, but you need to set realistic expectations. Maybe you can get a 34+, but only about 7% of test takers get a score like that or better.

Good luck! You've made great progress. Keep at it!
 
Do the self assessment, honestly, its great

Also, I would stop doing TPR and do other exams, I heard theres suck


I think you should start doing AAMCs FL since they are close to the actual test


Do Assessment 1-2 weeks before you start FL's, save AAMC fl till the end

After looking online and seeing other posts, it looks like the assessment is a good investment. But I have a question for those of you who had done the assessment:

From the AAMC website,
Note: To be most effective, one should have no prior knowledge of the questions in the self-assessment. If you have previously taken MCAT practice tests 1, 2, or 6 (no longer available for purchase), your results may be impacted

Are all the questions distinctively different from the AAMC full lengths? I have AAMC 3-11 and would not want to do the same questions later on after already knowing the answers.
 
After looking online and seeing other posts, it looks like the assessment is a good investment. But I have a question for those of you who had done the assessment:

From the AAMC website,

Are all the questions distinctively different from the AAMC full lengths? I have AAMC 3-11 and would not want to do the same questions later on after already knowing the answers.

It clearly says the questions are from AAMCs 1, 2 and 6..
 
Yeah... that's what I was thinking at first. Darn. Would it still be worth it to get it? (especially if most of the questions are from the previous AAMCs) and I already have all the AAMCs.

Considering you said you had 3-11, that means you don't have 1 and 2.

Also, 6 is not sold anymore so unless you have a hard copy from someone, you don't have that one either...

AAMC only sells 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 9, 10 and 11 now.
 
Considering you said you had 3-11, that means you don't have 1 and 2.

Also, 6 is not sold anymore so unless you have a hard copy from someone, you don't have that one either...

AAMC only sells 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 9, 10 and 11 now.

I do have AAMC 6 through the TPR course. While I do not have 1 and 2 but have 6, the AAMC assessment deal does should like good practice either way. I'm just hesitant in spending an extra $104 on something that I may have 1/3 of the questions to already.

You've made good progress, but you need to set realistic expectations. Maybe you can get a 34+, but only about 7% of test takers get a score like that or better.

Good luck! You've made great progress. Keep at it!

Yeah, I know 34+ is definitely a challenge. I'm just hoping the difficulty of the TPR exams would translate favorably (30+) when I take the AAMCs. If anyone has any experiences with this, that would be great.

Is it true that AAMC's passages combine concepts more than TPR? Sometimes in a TPR full length, there would just be one passage about 1 specific concept.

I guess I'm just trying to gauge whether or not I ended well on TPR's FLs or if it should have been higher in order to reach my target score of 34.
 
]I do have AAMC 6 through the TPR course[/B]. While I do not have 1 and 2 but have 6, the AAMC assessment deal does should like good practice either way. I'm just hesitant in spending an extra $104 on something that I may have 1/3 of the questions to already.



Yeah, I know 34+ is definitely a challenge. I'm just hoping the difficulty of the TPR exams would translate favorably (30+) when I take the AAMCs. If anyone has any experiences with this, that would be great.

Is it true that AAMC's passages combine concepts more than TPR? Sometimes in a TPR full length, there would just be one passage about 1 specific concept.

I guess I'm just trying to gauge whether or not I ended well on TPR's FLs or if it should have been higher in order to reach my target score of 34.

AAMC passages do that a lot...sometimes 2-3 concepts in one passage. You might not have AAMC 6. Even if you see it on the list, when you click on it, it will say that it's no longer available.
 
I do have AAMC 6 through the TPR course. While I do not have 1 and 2 but have 6, the AAMC assessment deal does should like good practice either way. I'm just hesitant in spending an extra $104 on something that I may have 1/3 of the questions to already.
If you actually click on AAMC 6 through the TPR portal, it will tell you that it's been removed. So you won't have any repeat material!
 
Wow!!! From 13 (TPR1) to 25 (TPR5) is a hell of an improvement in 2 months. How have you been studying to have that kind of improvement? I started with 20 (TPR1) three months ago and I am still at 24 on my last AAMC (9). I must be doing something wrong then. I am not taking TPR class but I use their online materials. You might be able to crack 30+ on AAMC since I believe the PS and VR of TPR FL are harder than AAMCs. Take AAMC3 so you can see how you stack up against the AAMC format or style...


What's your breakdown of the 24 temperature101? 3 months and no real gains 🙁
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
AAMC passages do that a lot...sometimes 2-3 concepts in one passage. You might not have AAMC 6. Even if you see it on the list, when you click on it, it will say that it's no longer available.

If you actually click on AAMC 6 through the TPR portal, it will tell you that it's been removed. So you won't have any repeat material!

Dang, that's deceiving... Thanks for confirming it. Now I'm most likely going to get the assessment package.
 
Dang, that's deceiving... Thanks for confirming it. Now I'm most likely going to get the assessment package.

I think you might be pleasantly surprised with your AAMC results. I know it's not the norm, but I found TPR SO much more difficult that I went up 9 points within a week switching from TPR to AAMC. Trust me, I didn't gain THAT much more knowledge, lol.
 
completely agree... My highest TPR ever was a 33 (avg 28) ... my highest aamc ever was a 40 (avg 37) ... the tpr's are definitely harder.
 
I think you might be pleasantly surprised with your AAMC results. I know it's not the norm, but I found TPR SO much more difficult that I went up 9 points within a week switching from TPR to AAMC. Trust me, I didn't gain THAT much more knowledge, lol.

If you don't mind me asking, what was your score range from TPR and AAMC? This gives me some hope I could maybe reach my target score or around it, lol - though it will largely depend on getting used to the format of AAMC exams.

completely agree... My highest TPR ever was a 33 (avg 28) ... my highest aamc ever was a 40 (avg 37) ... the tpr's are definitely harder.

That's impressive. Are the AAMCs easier because more answers could be found in the passages as compared to TPR?

Are the passages (not questions) from TPR similar to the AAMCs in terms of difficulty, length, and content for the BS and PS sections?

Sometimes I feel that TPR's science FL passages test specific focused concepts (like a teaching exam is supposed to do ) without incorporating multiple concepts like what I heard the AAMC does. Is this really the case, or do you think TPR incorporated concepts similarly to the AAMCs?
 
I definitely agree that PR Verbal is rough and the scaling overall is Harsh! I got a 7 for TPR 1 with an Overall of 29 and went DOWN for TPR 2 with a 5 on verbal and an overall at 26.....I just feel like Verbal is impossible to finish!!! Any tips? I have a month left.