Progress in psychiatry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SquibDell

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been listening to The Lancet psychiatry podcast lately and, in a couple of episodes, the host has mentioned that psychiatry is sometimes seen as 'the field that never progresses'.

I was wondering if anyone here has any thoughts on the biggest areas of progress in psychiatry? E.g. in the last 50 years? In the last 10?

What about exciting areas for future progress?

Members don't see this ad.

My take as a mental health and heart patient (not a doctor):

I think it's just the way the cards are dealt by the fates. Psychiatry like many areas of medicine is medication driven. But compare it to cardiology which has procedures, and you might conclude psychiatry in comparison is almost entirely medication driven (although I know there is TMS, ECT, etc). The strength of psychiatry then lies in large part on the strength of its medications. They just have so many side effects and heterogeneous efficacy compare to cardiology, for example. It's rare that an ACE inhibitor wouldn't lower blood pressure. And rather than possibly causing TD like FGAs or possibly causing metabolic syndrome like SGAs, they actually improves other biomarkers of health. And if it doesn't work, you can add on a second drug, also usually with a fairly favorable side effect profile. Multiple medications in psychiatry is also common, but trickier and with more room for problems. Sometimes the most effective medications in the short term are also ones that are ineffective and harmful in the long-term (e.g., benzos), or can stop working over time and cause prolonged as-of-yet not-understood permanent changes (e.g., SSRIs), or are undesirable for any number of side effects or interactions and require lab testing. In cardiology, the mechanism of the disease is understood and the mechanism of the treatment is understood. And those treatments tend to be more predictable in their effects. I don't know if there are breakthroughs in cardiology pharmaceuticals or not, but they seem less needed.

It's a much more herculean task to understand human behavior than human hemodynamics. There's normal human behavior, maladaptive human behavior, and obviously frank disease like severe autism or schizophrenia. It's harder to distinguish the grey areas, where functioning is not optimal and distress is experienced for the current demands of work and family. What is that even? That's something people have tried to suss out from the beginning of time with religion, philosophy, etc. And then there was an idea to apply medicine to it, along with applying medicine to the more obviously frank behavioral diseases. The problems psychiatry addresses are much older than the problems cardiology addresses, or rather people have been trying to address them for much longer; therefore, it seems reasonable to assume they would be more intractable or they wouldn't still be problems seeking better solutions.

This might be unpopular to say, but I would assert that psychiatry in the way it's practiced will not change much in the near future and that any significant changes to outcomes would result from drug companies discovering new drugs that are an improvement over existing offerings. I base that on having been a patient of a psychiatrist or another since 1997, at which point the main offerings are remarkably similar to what they are today--identical in many cases. And if anything, I've seen psychiatrists embrace their role as medication managers. It used to be that a psychiatrist might tell me not to bother with therapy as if they saw it as a competing methodology to their medication treatment. Now I find it's encouraged and am told that psychiatry is medication management and for help with other issues you need to look elsewhere. Of course, that's not true for everyone. There are psychiatrists who are "full service." Most are not.

I mean this in no way as a dig at the very bright minds here, who I see practice in very good ways and find unique problems (diagnosing biological medical issues other have missed) and coming up with unique solutions. And I actually look forward to being corrected in what I have missed. This is from a single point of view. Sometimes I learn the most by saying what I think I know and then finding out how it is wrong.

Reactions: 1 user
The strength of psychiatry then lies in large part on the strength of its medications. They just have so many side effects and heterogeneous efficacy compare to cardiology, for example. It's rare that an ACE inhibitor wouldn't lower blood pressure.
I'm at work and can't read all this carefully now, but I would disagree with this general sentiment: Putting the efficacy of psychiatric and general medicine medication into perspective: review of meta-analyses | The British Journal of Psychiatry | Cambridge Core

Reactions: 1 users
The brain is the complex organ in the body. To make comparisons between the brain and the heart, for example, is like between trying to reverse engineer how a computer works compared to reverse engineering the plumbing in your kitchen.

To me, that's what's always been so exciting about the field. There's not too many more great breakthroughs that you can expect in cardiology (just as an example), but the brain has SO MANY more frontiers.

Those that don't feel like we're making progress aren't paying attention. Even besides the often "missing the forest for the trees" neuroimaging which have led to few practical benefits, or the overly biologically reductionistic approaches of the last 20+ years mistakenly creating a public personae of "psychiatrists fix chemical imbalances," we have practical approaches that work well for nearly every known psychiatric condition -- if you include a broad range of psychotherapy approaches.

The problem is that the field is so fractured and subspecialized, that few people have a take on the range of options available, and there's a resistance to researching many modalities because they're not "hot" at this point. All of that is slowly changing, but the breadth of treatment options are still often unwieldy, and expertise in all of medicine, psychiatry included, is still based on an apprenticeship model. So you can often only expect people to be as good (or as open minded) as their mentors.

If my teacher only taught CBT and psychopharm, I'm less likely to get exposed to the other options available.

The same as if I'm interested in surgery and I look up to a surgeon (as a medical student), and that surgeon tells me "psych is a waste," I'm going to take that experience seriously, even though that surgeon is probably basing that opinion largely on his/her own med school experience of a month on psych and what his/her surgery mentor told her/him.