Projected Coursework change for Winter 2014?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

52massacre

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

So recently I was accepted into a dental school and they said I need C or better in my projected coursework. Next semester I am enrolled in a bunch of bio courses (none are prereqs) and really dont feel like putting effort into school anymore lol. I wanna switch few of the bio classes to film? Geog? Art history? Anyways, would that be an okay to do or will the school that accepted me frown upon this sort of behaviour?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys,

So recently I was accepted into a dental school and they said I need C or better in my projected coursework. Next semester I am enrolled in a bunch of bio courses (none are prereqs) and really dont feel like putting effort into school anymore lol. I wanna switch few of the bio classes to film? Geog? Art history? Anyways, would that be an okay to do or will the school that accepted me frown upon this sort of behaviour?

My advice would be call and ask.

if they aren't needed for your major or prereqs, then how would they know that you switched them out?

Unless you already filled out the academic update form in that case I would stick to what you have since you already committed in telling them all the classes you were gonna take

like PP said you can always call and ask what would that look like for your app if you changed your academic update after already sending it in with different courses and see what they say.

Members don't see this ad :)
if they aren't needed for your major or prereqs, then how would they know that you switched them out?

Unless you already filled out the academic update form in that case I would stick to what you have since you already committed in telling them all the classes you were gonna take

like PP said you can always call and ask what would that look like for your app if you changed your academic update after already sending it in with different courses and see what they say.

No for this school's supplementary application form, I had to write down projected coursework back in August. This has nothing to do with the AADSAS Academic Update thing. I will ask I just fear I'm gonna come off sounding like a total idiot

No for this school's supplementary application form, I had to write down projected coursework back in August. This has nothing to do with the AADSAS Academic Update thing. I will ask I just fear I'm gonna come off sounding like a total idiot
my personal opinion

it is not necessary, the classes you thought you were going to take all the way back in august can change based on availability of the classes, waitlisted lab ones or what not

they are not going to ask you why you changed your classes, that is really strange why they would. they accepted you/gave you interview based off of what you DID take not what you're GOING to take

if that were the case, no one would do college or anything, just tell them you're about to do all the prereqs later and go ahead and apply! free for all, makes no sense.

they are not going to ask you why you changed your classes, that is really strange why they would. they accepted you/gave you interview based off of what you DID take not what you're GOING to take
Not always true, and I would guess that a large % of schools would ask why an applicant was switching from rigorous coursework that would better prepare them for dental school, to film classes.

Anyways, OP, you're worried about this move making you look like exactly what you are? I'd get a feeler from the school before making any substantive changes.

Not always true, and I would guess that a large % of schools would ask why an applicant was switching from rigorous coursework that would better prepare them for dental school, to film classes.

Anyways, OP, you're worried about this move making you look like exactly what you are? I'd get a feeler from the school before making any substantive changes.

Haha ouch. thanks though

Edit: And not sure if botany/ecology courses will prep me for being a dentist (sarcasm)

Hey guys,

I would call and ask. UOP for example said I could drop my non-bio class, but wouldn't let me drop my bio class. Whereas BU said I could drop any non-prereq classes. Every school is different and you don't wanna drop it then find out after that they aren't happy about it.