Projectile Motion

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know horizontal velocity is constant throughout the flight of an object but the direction is changing in a projectile therefore horizontal velocity is not constant.

Horizontal speed is constant in a projectile. The scalar quantity.

Is this right? Every book says horizontal velocity is constant and does not make sense to me.

Members don't see this ad.

You are right, the velocity of the object is changing since it's a projectile - BUT we're talking about velocity in the x-direction. That will remain constant until the projectile hits the ground. Velocity in the y-direction, however, will change (since gravity makes things accelerate).

Imagine you are in space and you throw something in a straight line. Does it speed up or slow down? No, it remains at a constant velocity (as long as air resistance is discounted).

The same holds for a projectile thrown/fired on earth. The only difference is that it stops when it hits the ground - which happens because there's gravity on earth to pull it down. As long as air resistance is not counted, projectiles will continue at a constant velocity in the direction that is perpendicular to gravity (i.e. along the x-axis) until some other force acts on them.

Here's an example I found useful: a bullet fired from a gun (that is aiming perpendicular to the ground) and a bullet dropped from the same height will hit the ground at the same time.