Prometric eating/drinking and rules...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sebsvenmdc

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I was wondering about D-day. Can I keep food and drinks with me within the testing zone? I mean...there's probably a rule about no drinks/food near the computer, but I mean, will I have access to the locker with food/drinks, etc WITHOUT having to check out? I'm wondering if I can just eat/drink around the locker and go to the bathroom w/o checking out. This 1 hr total break time is not cool.

Members don't see this ad.

So, I was wondering about D-day. Can I keep food and drinks with me within the testing zone? I mean...there's probably a rule about no drinks/food near the computer, but I mean, will I have access to the locker with food/drinks, etc WITHOUT having to check out? I'm wondering if I can just eat/drink around the locker and go to the bathroom w/o checking out. This 1 hr total break time is not cool.

you can stash your food in the bathroom and eat in there while you pee

lol, no seriously. is this legit? i mean, are the proctors cool with this?

it's only a problem if they find out ;)

i'm going to bring some duct tape and attach my sandwich to the underside of the sink. i'm also hiding mayonnaise packets in my compartment and a flask of redbull taped to my ankle.

Members don't see this ad :)
What are you guys talking about?:laugh: You have to sign out just to get out of the computer room. The lockers are in a different room, through which you have to pass to get to the bathroom. Why would you hide food in the bathroom?

What are you guys talking about?:laugh: You have to sign out just to get out of the computer room. The lockers are in a different room, through which you have to pass to get to the bathroom. Why would you hide food in the bathroom?

YOU HAVE TO SIGN OUT JUST TO GO TO THE BATHROOM? That's terrible. Doesn't it take like 5-10 mins to sign out and in again?

Nah- don't worry about it. You just sign your name/time to get out, and sign your name/time/show pockets to get back in- takes less than 1 minute.

Do ya'll remember the astronaut lady who wore diapers in her car from texas to florida so she would minimize pit stops?! LOL...maybe I should go with that.

Lol, kidding, ok.

Nah- don't worry about it. You just sign your name/time to get out, and sign your name/time/show pockets to get back in- takes less than 1 minute.

Ok, sweet, thanks. One more question...does each person get their own like computer room. Or are there a whole bunch of people in the same room? And noise isn't really an issue...I mean, some kids clear their throats a lot. I sound so irritable, but this test makes one psychotic.

One room- bunch of connected cubicles, comfortable/cool temp, they offer ear plugs+big headphones, you can't hear anything, just your own heart

YOU HAVE TO SIGN OUT JUST TO GO TO THE BATHROOM? That's terrible. Doesn't it take like 5-10 mins to sign out and in again?

you just swipe your finger on the little dealio and walk away. takes 30 secs to sign out/in.

my prometric was at penn plaza in manhattan and the bathroom was in the hallway about 50 feet outside of the testing center. the handle had a 3 digit security code to get in. the lockers were in the testing center a few feet from the testing room. also the testing center was on the 17th floor so i considered smashing the window with a chair and throwing myself through the roof of madison square garden :thumbup:

Ok, sweet, thanks. One more question...does each person get their own like computer room. Or are there a whole bunch of people in the same room? And noise isn't really an issue...I mean, some kids clear their throats a lot. I sound so irritable, but this test makes one psychotic.

there were like 10 computers and no less than 6 cameras pointed at you the entire time. :laugh:

I don't think it would work. You see, the media is more open to

"Crazy Lady Astronaut Drives Cross Country Wearing Diaper", than to

"Crazy Texan Med Student Drives Half Hour To Take An 8 Hour Exam, Wearing A Diaper"

The first one would be like a legit case of crazy. Your case would be more like a voluntary case of crazy :D Alrighty, goodluck to all you poor bastards who still have to take the exam. :luck:

Lol, thank you, Zona. You and your magical jeans are inspirational. ;)

I had absolutely no problem with 1 hour break time, but all of my food was ready to eat. Don't buy anything that requires a microwave. When I took my test, I saw a bunch of people bringing in these fancy meals that required all of this prep. WTF. No. Don't do that. Bring a sack with some snacks and drinks and you'll be good to go!

At my testing place, the lockers were in the same room where the proctors were. They did not want us eating in there, but that was okay since the room was tiny anyway. Just step outside in the hall or a nearby room with your snacks and you won't lose a lot of time eating. It's also worth mentioning that it might be a good idea to eat well beforehand to save you time eating during breaks.

I had absolutely no problem with 1 hour break time, but all of my food was ready to eat. Don't buy anything that requires a microwave. When I took my test, I saw a bunch of people bringing in these fancy meals that required all of this prep. WTF. No. Don't do that. Bring a sack with some snacks and drinks and you'll be good to go!

At my testing place, the lockers were in the same room where the proctors were. They did not want us eating in there, but that was okay since the room was tiny anyway. Just step outside in the hall or a nearby room with your snacks and you won't lose a lot of time eating. It's also worth mentioning that it might be a good idea to eat well beforehand to save you time eating during breaks.

Lol, thanks for the advice! Yeah, I'm probably just going to go with 3 Southbeach chocolate-flavored energy bars, a gatorade, 2 small starbuck's espresso's, and a few other snacks. Definitely want to minimize bathroom time though. Lol, my abs are jacked and keep me regular. Ok, TMI.

Dude, I can't eat too much before the test because then all of the blood will be in my GI versus my CNS...and my CNS has enough hardship without compromised perfusion.

One of my classmates was seated next to someone who insisted on reading her questions OUT LOUD.

To make it worse, she wasn't even taking Step 1. She was taking the MCAT or the GRE or something.

you just swipe your finger on the little dealio and walk away. takes 30 secs to sign out/in.

I had to show my ID, and then literally sign in and out, each time - swiping my finger on something sounds better. Still only took a few seconds, though.

Lol, thanks for the advice! Yeah, I'm probably just going to go with 3 Southbeach chocolate-flavored energy bars, a gatorade, 2 small starbuck's espresso's, and a few other snacks. Definitely want to minimize bathroom time though. Lol, my abs are jacked and keep me regular. Ok, TMI.

Dude, I can't eat too much before the test because then all of the blood will be in my GI versus my CNS...and my CNS has enough hardship without compromised perfusion.

two imodium the day before the test :thumbup:

One of my classmates was seated next to someone who insisted on reading her questions OUT LOUD.

Ummm, ok, that's when I would go to the proctor and raise hell. And if nothing was done about it, I would not do the Step 1 anymore, sit next to the girl and read the question loudly in her ear. Geez, that's disgustingly selfish. I'm sorry, crap like that makes me furious.

To make it worse, she wasn't even taking Step 1. She was taking the MCAT or the GRE or something.
I can't believe the proctors didn't say anything about that. :mad: