PROMETRIC question---plz respond

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sgdorfl90

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, I took the DAT in september. However, during the natural science section, i got up to go use the restroom before i start perceptual, cuz I had a lot of coffee. I got my report and everything is fine. However, do you guys think the prometric will report to ADA about me getting up? I am getting freaked out cuz my family friend is taking USMLE step I, and for them if u need to get up in section, u have to terminate that section completely. Please respond if you guys also got up during section and was fine. The ADA doesn't mention anything bout it, so i am assuming they r fine. Thank u guys for ur help and comment. take care.

Members don't see this ad.

mybaa said:
Hi guys, I took the DAT in september. However, during the natural science section, i got up to go use the restroom before i start perceptual, cuz I had a lot of coffee. I got my report and everything is fine. However, do you guys think the prometric will report to ADA about me getting up? I am getting freaked out cuz my family friend is taking USMLE step I, and for them if u need to get up in section, u have to terminate that section completely. Please respond if you guys also got up during section and was fine. The ADA doesn't mention anything bout it, so i am assuming they r fine. Thank u guys for ur help and comment. take care.

yea that is no problem, the guy told me that if i leave i would just lose time. But hat i could go and use the bathroom and stuff. hmmm i think he said i had to sign out first and then sign back in.

i had to sign in and out when i got up to use the bathroom. i must have gotten up like 5 ot 6 times over the course of the test because i was so nervous. :oops: so there's nothing wrong with it at all...

what's USLME?

Members don't see this ad :)
thank you guys for your quick replies...i guess only one pre-dent can know how much anxiety can buildup from one minor thing. Ever since I joined in may, i have seen how supportive each one of us is towards eachother and now, eventhough i am a guy, feel so emotionally overwhelemed at the support. HAHA( i m not wut u think i am). Anywayz guys, I hope you all get into school of your choice even at the expense of my admittance. LONG LIVE SDN!!!

beannaithe said:
i had to sign in and out when i got up to use the bathroom. i must have gotten up like 5 ot 6 times over the course of the test because i was so nervous. :oops: so there's nothing wrong with it at all...

what's USLME?

United States Medical Licensing Exam ( for med students) that is a HELL of a test!!! and there is Steps 1 and 2 and 3! :eek:

mybaa said:

Did the timer start for the Perceptual Ablitity start when you came back, or did you still have to hit the next icon to go to the Perceptual Ablitity section, when you came back? Also If you had to hit the next icon did you lose any time in the PA section by going to that bathroom????

This story happened when I was about halfway through the first semester at dental school. We were all in the big lecture hall taking our histology midterm and all of a sudden these two guys in black suits and dark sunglasses burst into the room. They start interrogating one poor kid in front of the whole class -- didn't even take him outside. After a few minutes he just starts sobbing. Turns out there was some question as to whether he took a peek at his neighbor's monitor during the DAT. They pulled him out of school right then and there.

Now he hired a lawyer and was able to prove that the only person sitting next to him was a girl taking her nursing boards so the ADA cut him some slack. He just had to retake the DAT and they let him matriculate with the next class.

you might not be so lucky :eek:

if they allow going to the bathroom then people can cheat if they want. i can't believe this! they should put cameras in the bathroom lool.

12YearOldKid said:
This story happened when I was about halfway through the first semester at dental school. We were all in the big lecture hall taking our histology midterm and all of a sudden these two guys in black suits and dark sunglasses burst into the room. They start interrogating one poor kid in front of the whole class -- didn't even take him outside. After a few minutes he just starts sobbing. Turns out there was some question as to whether he took a peek at his neighbor's monitor during the DAT. They pulled him out of school right then and there.

Now he hired a lawyer and was able to prove that the only person sitting next to him was a girl taking her nursing boards so the ADA cut him some slack. He just had to retake the DAT and they let him matriculate with the next class.

I hope you are just ****ing with me....I was out of the bathroom in 2 minutes, and if anyone can find an answer to a particular question in that much amount of time, then props to them.

12YearOldKid said:

Man, what happened to innocent until proven guilty?

Though I kind of find it hard to believe that they expect someone to sit through a 4 hour test without any sort of break. :laugh: I hope I don't get in trouble....I had a nasty stomach bug and must have gotten up like 5 times. :oops:

guys in black suits and dark sunglasses...what are they? secret service? lol

beannaithe said:
Man, what happened to innocent until proven guilty?

Though I kind of find it hard to believe that they expect someone to sit through a 4 hour test without any sort of break. :laugh: I hope I don't get in trouble....I had a nasty stomach bug and must have gotten up like 5 times. :oops:
I just took a pre-dental class at my university. The final test was over 30 pages and it took me four hours to complete!! At least during the DAT I got a bathroom break. It was torture to say the least, my eyes were all dried out and my brain was absolutly fried! :wow:

mybaa said:

My testing site let me go out as much as I wanted as long as I signed out.

During the break I was allowed to go outside.

Take a chill pill brother!

Members don't see this ad :)
Dutchboy said:
I just took a pre-dental class at my university. The final test was over 30 pages and it took me four hours to complete!! At least during the DAT I got a bathroom break. It was torture to say the least, my eyes were all dried out and my brain was absolutly fried! :wow:

This sounds like Dr. Mirci's final? It is so freakin long. I know what your talking about even if it wasn't Dr. Mirci's @ University of Utah.

12YearOldKid said:

I am sorry but thats such a lie. I have a relative who works for the Sylvan Prometric testing facility. When they test for the DAT, they have a policy of not sitting two individuals for the same exam next to each other.

Furthermore, each person takes a different version of the DAT when in the room.

Nice try!

utahdent123 said:
This sounds like Dr. Mirci's final? It is so freakin long. I know what your talking about even if it wasn't Dr. Mirci's @ University of Utah.
You hit the nail on the head. He posted the scores tonight and I rocked the final so I guess the torture was worth it. I'm just happy its over. :)

Dutchboy said:
You hit the nail on the head. He posted the scores tonight and I rocked the final so I guess the torture was worth it. I'm just happy its over. :)

Congratulations on rocking that test. It's long enough that if you didn't do very well all semseter you could really bring your grade up if you do well on it. I took his class last year. Are you going to TA for his class?

mybaa said:
I hope you are just ****ing with me....I was out of the bathroom in 2 minutes, and if anyone can find an answer to a particular question in that much amount of time, then props to them.
Don't worry about it, if you were going to get busted they would have done it right then. Plus, if that story was true he wouldnt be able to tell us about it because the men in black erase the memory of all witnesess. :laugh:

utahdent123 said:
Congratulations on rocking that test. It's long enough that if you didn't do very well all semseter you could really bring your grade up if you do well on it. I took his class last year. Are you going to TA for his class?
No, I applied to dental school already and am accepted at NOVA so far. When I was at the commity interview he hounded me for not being in the pre-dental society and for not have had taken his class before. I told him I'd add it to my schedule despite the fact that it put me at 20 credit hours. If I was going to be around I probably would TA. Were you one of the TA's for our class?

Yeah, I am one of the classroom TA's. I bet you got hounded for not taking it. That's kind of funny. Congrats on your accpetance to Nova. Is that your top choice? Where else have you interviewed?

utahdent123 said:
Yeah, I am one of the classroom TA's. I bet you got hounded for not taking it. That's kind of funny. Congrats on your accpetance to Nova. Is that your top choice? Where else have you interviewed?
I interviewd with creighton (at the UofU for RDEP), Case, Temple, USC, and Nova. I thought that if I was going to get accepted first round it would have been by Temple but I guess I'm still under review. I really loved USC but they told me they do most of their accepting in Feb. and March. The main downside to USC though is its one of the most expensive schools in the nation. Not to mention the cost of living in LA. If they accept me it will be a hard decision. How about yourself? Interviews? Acceptances?

Dutchboy said:
I interviewd with creighton (at the UofU for RDEP), Case, Temple, USC, and Nova. I thought that if I was going to get accepted first round it would have been by Temple but I guess I'm still under review. I really loved USC but they told me they do most of their accepting in Feb. and March. The main downside to USC though is its one of the most expensive schools in the nation. Not to mention the cost of living in LA. If they accept me it will be a hard decision. How about yourself? Interviews? Acceptances?

My application was late and so I haven't had much. I went to ASDOH on Wednesday it was my first interview. I have an interview at UNLV but it's not until Feb 2nd. And of course Case has me down for an alternate interview 4/19. I think there is still a good chance I'll get in somewhere it just might not be my first choice. But at this point I would be happy with an acceptance at any of the schools I applied at.

PS: Sorry for hijacking this thread. As for the question; there is no reason for you to worry. I remember Prometric telling me explicitly that I could use the Bathroom during my break or during the test but remember you will not be able to pause the test. So It's okay.

utahdent123 said:
My application was late and so I haven't had much. I went to ASDOH on Wednesday it was my first interview. I have an interview at UNLV but it's not until Feb 2nd. And of course Case has me down for an alternate interview 4/19. I think there is still a good chance I'll get in somewhere it just might not be my first choice. But at this point I would be happy with an acceptance at any of the schools I applied at.
It's weird, I really thought that my Case interview went really well. I think they must only be looking to see if you have any personality and then still only look at numbers no matter how well the interview went. I thought that I heard that ASDOH only sent out a couple acceptences 1st round so you should feel pretty excited about that one. I'm actually a re-applicant because I too applied and took my DAT too late last year.

How late did you apply last year? My application went out on October 19. ASDOH sent out 28 acceptances on December 1st and they have 54 seats. So as long as I didn't mess up the interview I think I have a chance. It's so unpredictable though. How has it been reapplying? I can imagine it would be a lot easier because you already know what to do and not do. I think if I have to reapply my application will be the first one AADSAS gets to verify.

utahdent123 said:
How late did you apply last year? My application went out on October 19. ASDOH sent out 28 acceptances on December 1st and they have 54 seats. So as long as I didn't mess up the interview I think I have a chance. It's so unpredictable though. How has it been reapplying? I can imagine it would be a lot easier because you already know what to do and not do. I think if I have to reapply my application will be the first one AADSAS gets to verify.
I don't think that it was nessecarily applying late that hurt me (June sometime) but taking my DAT the last day in Oct. It has been alot easier this time around and I think I learned a lot from the two late interviews I had last years cycle. But despite the process being easier I think it has been more stressfull, mostly because you start to second guess your chances. That acceptence letter was such a huge load off my shoulders, my future is no longer in the hands of some admissions comitee but my own. :thumbup:

12YearOldKid said:

i'm gonna call b.s. on this story... how would all of the time from him taking the DAT until midway through the first semester of dental school pass without them saying anything? his scores would have been invalidated right away if they caught him cheating, and if they only suspected it, then they would have questioned him much earlier

KxM99 said:
i'm gonna call b.s. on this story... how would all of the time from him taking the DAT until midway through the first semester of dental school pass without them saying anything? his scores would have been invalidated right away if they caught him cheating, and if they only suspected it, then they would have questioned him much earlier

Sucks that so many people tell lies here.