Pronouncing Generic Names!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dumbguy

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
anyone here know a good website or book that gives you the pronunciation keys for generic drug names? Most of the pharmacists I worked with have trouble pronouncing the generic names. When I ask them what is the generic name for a brand drug, they just tell me it starts with letter so and so.

Members don't see this ad.

;)
anyone here know a good website or book that gives you the pronunciation keys for generic drug names? Most of the pharmacists I worked with have trouble pronouncing the generic names. When I ask them what is the generic name for a brand drug, they just tell me it starts with letter so and so.

MedlinePlus lists the pronunciation for generic names:

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginformation.html

And if you have access to Lexi-Comp Online (i.e. through school), they have sound clips for each drug too.

Hope that helps! ;)

But it seems a little odd to me that the pharmacists you're working with aren't able to pronounce most generic names...and resort to just the first letter! :oops:

I bought this book "the pill book" from wal-mart and it is the most useful book for me so far. Hope this help.