Pronunciation Question

Started by nvega13
This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

nvega13

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am a Canadian student and I am unsure how to pronounce the following (i.e. do you say them as a word or do you say each letter). I don't want to mispronounce them at my interviews, so could someone please help me out!

1) SUNY
2) NECO
3) ICO
4) OAT


Thanks.
 
nvega13 said:
I am a Canadian student and I am unsure how to pronounce the following (i.e. do you say them as a word or do you say each letter). I don't want to mispronounce them at my interviews, so could someone please help me out!

1) SUNY
2) NECO
3) ICO
4) OAT


Thanks.
SUe Ny (Ni/ Ne)
You just call NECO, N. E.C. O
ICO also I. C. O
OAT also O.A.T
 
ppa93 said:
SUe Ny (Ni/ Ne)
You just call NECO, N. E.C. O
ICO also I. C. O
OAT also O.A.T


Really? So it is not pronounced O-AT...I thought it would be that since the medical entrance exam is the M-CAT. Thanks for the clarification!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
i think a lot of people also pronnounce it O-AT, so i believe neither are incorrect. 👍

nvega13 said:
Really? So it is not pronounced O-AT...I thought it would be that since the medical entrance exam is the M-CAT. Thanks for the clarification!
 
From talking to optometry students, and new OD's, this is how I hear them:

1. SUNY= Soon-knee (from a SUNY student, AND admissions officer/rep.)
2. NECO= Neck-co, or NEWENGCO (new-ank-co...weird, but i've heard it)
3. ICO= I.C.O. (from 2 I.C.O. students)
4. OAT= O.A.T. (from OD students + OD school reps.)

Haha, its not the proper breakdown of words, but it makes it easier 🙂 .