Proof of Shadowing Completed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dual Citizen

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My shadowing experiences thus far are these:
1) About 30+ hours of assisting dentist at a free clinic
2) 8 hours of observing oral surgery at a AEGD residency
3) 15 hours of observing a dentist at a private practice

I have been in communication with various dental schools and they ask for documented proof of shadowing. Some of those schools state that they would like that proof provided in letter of recommendation written by the dentist stating the hours I shadowed. This presents a problem because the free clinic has numerous volunteer dentists. The AEGD residency has 8 dentists and I've shadowed 3 of them. For those who have been through the application process please let me know:

1) Will the 30+ hours at the free clinic count as shadowing at most dental schools? Can it be counted as volunteer service as well?
2) Do I really need to provide a letter of recommendation from every dentist that I have shadowed with stating the shadowing hours as proof of my hours?
3) Has anybody used other sources of proof that shadowing has been done? I have kept an Excel spreadsheet of all the hours I have shadowed. Would this work?

Members don't see this ad.

1) It does not matter where you got your shadowing. Also, I would only list it once on the application..whichever category you think fits best.
2) No. Some schools require a recommendation letter from a dentist but Tufts is the only one that I know of that says that you have to have shadowed that dentist for 30 hours.
3) Most likely, you will not need proof that the shadowing has been done.