Dismiss Notice
Last chance to give your feedback! Fill out the 2019 SDN Member Survey to let us know what's important to you (and win prizes!)

Proper way to ask for a LOR

Discussion in 'Pre-Podiatry Students' started by Marine1, Feb 16, 2007.

1. Marine1

Marine1 Hoorah
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    I have shadowed a few Podiatrists and two of them have offered to give me LOR's (for their former schools). I have two other schools that I applied to and I would like to get LOR's from the other Pods (each to their former schools). How do you ask for a LOR?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Podman

Podman Senior Member
    2+ Year Member

Podiatry Student

Be honest and explain to them that you've enjoyed your experienced shadowing them and that you would like to have them write you LORs for your application. They shouldn't object to your request - because they did their part in showing you what the profession is all about in an upclose manner.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. KHep

KHep Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Podiatry Student
    When I've asked for letters in the past, in addition to the stamped addressed envelope I've included my personal statement and my cv, so that they will know a bit more about my academic endeavors. It seems that it has been appreciated.

4. Dr. Gangrene

Dr. Gangrene AZPOD 2011
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Podiatry Student
    I strongly agree. They have gotten to know you for only a few hours to a few days. If you want a strong letter, a cv and personal statement (and maybe transcripts and a biographical sketch) will help them get a better picture of who you are.

As for asking, I think it was said well. Just be honesta and professional. I had one pod offer to write me a letter after just 4 hours of shadowing. I just mentioned it as a possiblity and he actually suggested it. Good luck:thumbup:

5. txlioness

txlioness Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I always try to provide everything I can. But definitely the envelopes and postage. I also set up a time to just talk to the podiatrist, kind of like an interview. That way there are no interruptions and/or distractions so they can easily talk to you and ask questions.

The podiatrist I shadowed offered to write me a letter after 1 visit. But I am continuing to go back for visits until I move, if accepted somewhere. I think the more I see will benefit me. :D