Propofol shortage-- again?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Intubate

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I was just told that our ASC (I'm in Virginia) will likely be out of propofol this week and the hospital is too short on supply to lend it. Pentothal is also out of stock. That leaves etomidate and ketamine. I've tried to place LMAs using etomidate before, and that's a hilarious failure. Never tried with ketamine. Either of these are going to have the PACU's walls stained with vomit. I guess I'll be giving otherwise unnecessary NMB and excessively deepening my gas. Seems like substandard care in any case.

Anyone else having another shortage? Other hints at dealing with this?

Members don't see this ad.

So, I was just told that our ASC (I'm in Virginia) will likely be out of propofol this week and the hospital is too short on supply to lend it. Pentothal is also out of stock. That leaves etomidate and ketamine. I've tried to place LMAs using etomidate before, and that's a hilarious failure. Never tried with ketamine. Either of these are going to have the PACU's walls stained with vomit. I guess I'll be giving otherwise unnecessary NMB and excessively deepening my gas. Seems like substandard care in any case.

Anyone else having another shortage? Other hints at dealing with this?
How about lido, fent, 8% sevo than LMA?