Proposal for a better MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
And that's why they will fail hard. There is a reason why I make a 519-523 and 523-528 bracket instead of just 520-528. Anyone that pick the 523-528 under any circumstance (even when they have passed the 519-523) is of questionable decision making capacity.

Each question is studies rigorously? Let say that your claim they administered this test 60,000 times a year. How many questions is that? "Study" rigorously how long? Multiply that up and see if it makes any sense. I mean, look at my examples. Those 2 simple questions! How do grade them?

And if you have actually read what I wrote, you should see that I have acknowledged my ignorance somewhere :oops:

But it shouldn't cost the AAMC much! I mean the most expensive part is the test bank Just some change on the UI, and a tutorial to explain how things work and we are good to go! And Adcoms get more data without costing them a penny. They can look at the report card anyway they want.

I know that. And none of this will affect us and thus we will have less bias. It is our duty to decide for the future generation in this manner. They wouldn't know what is good for them. Hell, if you asked me before I took the test, I would think that it was a pretty stupid idea without giving it much thought. But now I have become a better person regarding the bias, I have a duty to think for the unfortunate who not yet.
Why are you even defending your strange idea so much

This reminds me of this time in 9th grade when I typed up a list of things that would make Minecraft better and mailed it to Notch
Still cringing

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 6 users
You made me bellow out loud laughing on this one, colleague! I'm still laughing as I type this.
:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Congratulations, you have come up with a proposal that would both incite violence and induce vomiting. That said, the AAMC should be due for another revision by about 2035, so you will have plenty of time to lobby.

Reactions: 2 users
This is what happens when one OP bombs the MCAT and spends too much time brooding in his mom's basement while eating hot pockets and watching WWE.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
This is what happens when one OP bombs the MCAT and spends too much time brooding in his mom's basement while eating hot pockets and watching WWE.

But hot pockets are awesome

images

Facebook-419ac4.png

Reactions: 1 user
But hot pockets are awesome

images

Facebook-419ac4.png
Are you serious?

Just eat two bites then stick it in the microwave again. Once you get a cold bite you throw it out because it failed to pass to the next level.

This makes sense because op

Reactions: 7 users
This must be how the AAMC came up with the MCAT2015 scoring system as well. They are just doing some early research for the new format.

This whole thing is based on the idea that the MCAT is some great predictor of your success as a physician and med student. Past a certain point, i.e. 27 or so, it has no predictive power on your ability to pass the boards and a high MCAT score is not even correlated with a high board score...

I know that. And none of this will affect us and thus we will have less bias. It is our duty to decide for the future generation in this manner. They wouldn't know what is good for them. Hell, if you asked me before I took the test, I would think that it was a pretty stupid idea without giving it much thought. But now I have become a better person regarding the bias, I have a duty to think for the unfortunate who not yet.

sfp.gif

mssd.gif

Drop-the-bass.gif

short.gif

naked-gun-facepalm.gif

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
...well, I guess this is one way to distract yourself while waiting to hear back from schools o_O

You are proposing an answer to an issue that is non existent.

I suck at standardized testing and took the mcat thrice.

It is tricky, but extremely fair. It pinpointed my subject weaknesses accurately but awarded practice in those areas and other areas with a higher score. Every time I came out of the test. I could predict within 2 points of what my actual score was.

It covered an extremely wide variety of topics, and as cliche as it sounds, relies on your memorization of basic courses in undergrad to apply to something you may or may have not seen before (lots of research studies, data crunching estimations, tricky logical reasoning).

I hate this goddam test. And my last score, although the highest I could muster, is an embarrassment compared to a lot of people on here. But for what it's worth, the new mcat does a pretty dam good job of measuring what you've learned in a pre health track and seeing if you remember it well enough to apply it.

What problem does this exactly solve. Your problem/statement introductions looks organized, but your idea makes absolutely no sense and solves 0 problems. I feel bad because it seems like you may have spent you an afternoon thinking of all this, but it just makes absolutely no sense...

Members don't see this ad :)
Alright. I will just ignore bad memes and personal attacks.

BTW, you cannot accuse me of being a masochist. At worst, it's sadism.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's the same test. My proposal does not take away any objectivity. Plus, you agreed that it did help provide basis for judging other subjective qualities, which can only come closer to the objective one with more data.

And that is the crux of its benefits for adcoms: more data.

Because Kathleen failed the 510-515 bracket with 513 while Jim could've failed with a 510, a 507, a 495 etc... we don't know. It's not without risk just to simply move onto the next bracket. Adcoms may look at Jim and... have many thoughts...

I have no data. The AAMC tells us that all version of the tests are roughly the same, also with no data. Their words and my words.... It doesn't look good on my part.
I may be very wrong and they have some brilliant algorithm to evaluate test versions. I have my doubts due to my inability to come up with a way to do so.

You can try it yourself. Make 2 passages of vastly different subjects (biochem vs light, anatomy vs immunology etc...) that test the "same things." Actually I can, but it will be so easy that monkeys can do it because I have to design it to fit the lowest common denominator. Forget about passage, how do you compare these two questions:
What is the start codon?
A) AUG
B) UGG
C) AGC
D CCG

What factors initiate the intrinsic pathway of the blood clotting cascade?
A) IX
B) IV
C) II
D) XII

Which one is harder? Since I wrote those questions, for me they are both easy: either you know or you don't. Neither of them is explicitly stated in the content outline. But I bet you if I use the 2nd question, people will scream bloody murder.
So the only solution is to see the % of people answering it correctly. But that is also problematic due to 2 obvious reasons.

The first is a matter of principle. Consider these 2 questions:

Question 1: A patient with a history of cardiovascular disease is given heparin. After the injection of the drug, this patient, compared to the general population, most likely has an increased chance of:
I. Internal bleeding
II. Blockage of blood vessels
III. Blood in urine

A. I
B. II
C. I and III
D. I, II and III

Question 2: A patient with a history of cardiovascular disease is given a blood thinning drug. After the injection of the drug, this patient, compared to the general population, most likely has an increased chance of:
I. Internal bleeding
III. Blood in urine

A. I
B. II
C. I and III
D. I, II and III

Intrinsically, question 1 is harder because you have to know what heparin is (AAMC outline- blood clotting cascade- please don't tell me it's reasonable learn the cascade without learning the regulatory mechanisms). But then since most people will not know it. They will guess and when they guess they have 25% chance of getting it correctly. If the question is evaluated by means of polling, then 1 is easier than 2.

The second problem is applicability. The AAMC cannot possibly poll every single question before every test is given. So what do they do? Either they do nothing: aka arbitrarily assign a difficulty or they modify the ones that they do have data for. The second is dubious because the wording of the questions and the answer choices affect the difficulty. When I took the test, I had like 20 mins left after reviewing everything in C/P and stuck with one question. I got it correctly because I finally figured out what the hell they were asking. It was very easy. But whoever wrote that made up a name of type of experiment (I looked that up after the test, there was no such thing - and honestly it sounded stupid) and asked me to "compare." Got 132.

There is so much you can dress up a question until it gets ridiculous.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So how do we solve this problem? One answer is to add more question: with more data, randomness vanishes! But I can't imagine it will fly if I propose to make each section 200 questions or so.
But the most obvious answer to the question how "difficult" and "fair" the test was is to ask the test each test taker. We can't show them the score because if they do well they will tend to say that it's fair and vice versa.

How does this help? At the moment, no matter how we slice it, data for each applicant regarding the MCAT is n=1. Making them taking the test again and again doesn't do anything because n=3 is equally useless statistically. Using my proposed system, we give an applicants a chance to evaluate their academic performance. If they think their true bracket is 515-519 and the final score agrees, it will speak volumes for their cases. And if there is a disagreement, the system provide ample opportunities to protect oneself from overestimation. Use your judgment wisely. Although, as I stated above, it is not without risk to just moving one bracket by one like in the case of Jim: he passed the 500-510 and attempted the next and still got 510 as the final score. This can be read flag akin to current situation of retaking the MCAT and doing worse.

And point is this will provide very valuable data! Let me give another example:

Consider two excellent candidate both scoring 521
James: 475-500 ---> 500-510 -----> 510-515 ----->515 - 519-----> 519 - 523. Final score: 521
Kayla: 500-510 ----> 515-519 -----> 519-523. Final Score: 521

They are not identical. Draw any conclusion you want. I personally will lean toward Kayla.

You seriously need to stop. Like you're literally rambling. Like I can literally reduce your post to say more questions = more accurate results and no meaning would be lost.

You are proposing an answer to an issue that is non existent.

I suck at standardized testing and took the mcat thrice.

It is tricky, but extremely fair. It pinpointed my subject weaknesses accurately but awarded practice in those areas and other areas with a higher score. Every time I came out of the test. I could predict within 2 points of what my actual score was.

It covered an extremely wide variety of topics, and as cliche as it sounds, relies on your memorization of basic courses in undergrad to apply to something you may or may have not seen before (lots of research studies, data crunching estimations, tricky logical reasoning).

I hate this goddam test. And my last score, although the highest I could muster, is an embarrassment compared to a lot of people on here. But for what it's worth, the new mcat does a pretty dam good job of measuring what you've learned in a pre health track and seeing if you remember it well enough to apply it.
I don't want to argue with you about fairness and such. I have already addressed it and will repeat it later.
Why did you take it thrice if you hated it so much? And I hope you notice that retaking it thrice hurts your app quite a lot. In my proposed system, you will thrive with your humility and self-awareness. While people like me, @wallobi and @aldol16 could've been be punished severely since we would've picked the 520+ brackets. In my case, I would've scored 500 instead of whatever I had in this system.

This system is objectively better for the average pre-med with the qualities of likable/holistic doctors!

What problem does this exactly solve. Your problem/statement introductions looks organized, but your idea makes absolutely no sense and solves 0 problems. I feel bad because it seems like you may have spent you an afternoon thinking of all this, but it just makes absolutely no sense...
You seriously need to stop. Like you're literally rambling. Like I can literally reduce your post to say more questions = more accurate results and no meaning would be lost.
First, I would like to thank you for your concern. I thought of it while doing my daily 60 laps so it's been productive regardless :)

Secondly, I did not advocate for more questions. I rejected that notion. Maybe you meant "more tests." While that appeared to be the case, I also acknowledged that more tests conducted under the current system at best would produce n=3 instead of n=1 for the average candidates, both of which are statistically useless for predicting academic acumen.

The crux of the system is this: it uses a quasi-feedback loop to try to determine the real performance. Essentially, it will try to reconcile the AAMC's prediction (via the MCAT) with a test taker's expectation (via undergrad classes, test prep, practices etc...). The former methodology has been established in the form of the test bank. The more subjective (and thus way way harder to quantify) measures are shifted to test takers. This, however, obviously suffers from severe self-serving bias. To counter that, penalties must be enforced: if one thinks they are in the 510-515 range (which is very very generous) and fail to pass 510 then they will be punished with a 500 or worse (provided that they pick the 510-515 bracket the very first time). This forces a test taker to be as objective as possible in evaluating their performance.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now let me restate the problems I found with the current MCAT. One test does not cover enough topics due to the limit of 59 questions. The AAMC stated that their tests (which are for the most part, very very well designed) regardless of the topics they cover can test the same qualities in all candidates. I am doubtful of their ability to create passages of vastly different topics that can test the same things. And I also questioned their ability to discern difficulties. To systematically process a gigantic data base that is the test bank, they must devise an algorithm. To develop one for automatic processing, one must analyze the solutions created my human. My main gripe is that I cannot envision such solutions. And by logic, if the human solution does exist, whatever the AAMC came up with is questionable.

Let me quote the sample problems that I cannot solve.
What is the start codon?
A) AUG
B) UGG
C) AGC
D CCG

What factors initiate the intrinsic pathway of the blood clotting cascade?
A) IX
B) IV
C) II
D) XII

Which one is harder? Since I wrote those questions, for me they are both easy: either you know or you don't. Neither of them is explicitly stated in the content outline. But I bet you if I use the 2nd question, people will scream bloody murder.
So the only solution is to see the % of people answering it correctly. But that is also problematic due to 2 obvious reasons.

The first is a matter of principle. Consider these 2 questions:

Question 1: A patient with a history of cardiovascular disease is given heparin. After the injection of the drug, this patient, compared to the general population, most likely has an increased chance of:
I. Internal bleeding
III. Blood in urine

A. I
B. II
C. I and III
D. I, II and III

Question 2: A patient with a history of cardiovascular disease is given a blood thinning drug. After the injection of the drug, this patient, compared to the general population, most likely has an increased chance of:
I. Internal bleeding
III. Blood in urine

A. I
B. II
C. I and III
D. I, II and III

Intrinsically, question 1 is harder because you have to know what heparin is (AAMC outline- blood clotting cascade- please don't tell me it's reasonable learn the cascade without learning the regulatory mechanisms). But then since most people will not know it. They will guess and when they guess they have 25% chance of getting it correctly. If the question is evaluated by means of polling, then 1 is easier than 2.

The second problem is applicability. The AAMC cannot possibly poll every single question before every test is given. So what do they do? Either they do nothing: aka arbitrarily assign a difficulty or they modify the ones that they do have data for. The second is dubious because the wording of the questions and the answer choices affect the difficulty.
If there is a way a rational human can use to solve this, I concede all my arguments, which, btw, is a very low standard because even if one can solve this, it doesn't mean solutions are possible in all other instances- but I will yield regardless.

While that appeared to be the case, I also acknowledged that more tests conducted under the current system at best would produce n=3 instead of n=1 for the average candidates, both of which are statistically useless for predicting academic acumen.
Actually, most standardized tests (certainly all of the widely used ones, including the MCAT) are heavily validated statistically both internally and externally. The external validation is something one can take issue with, but an x score even on a single administration can be, with high degree of certainty, said to be an accurate reflection of that individual's ability within a certain margin. This is usually reported on the score report.

If there is a way a rational human can use to solve this, I concede all my arguments, which, btw, is a very low standard because even if one can solve this, it doesn't mean solutions are possible in all other instances- but I will yield regardless.
I'm confused as to how one is supposed to demonstrate a rational solution to an entirely knowledge-based set of questions

Actually, most standardized tests (certainly all of the widely used ones, including the MCAT) are heavily validated statistically both internally and externally. The external validation is something one can take issue with, but an x score even on a single administration can be, with high degree of certainty, said to be an accurate reflection of that individual's ability within a certain margin. This is usually reported on the score report.

I'm confused as to how one is supposed to demonstrate a rational solution to an entirely knowledge-based set of questions
Because the core of their statistical quality control lies on the sole claim that they can design tests without approximately the same difficulty and can test all the necessary skills/knowledge of the candidate.

In other standardized tests such as the SAT, GRE, etc... that claim is believable because they test the same subjects and are usually very diverse in topics of questions (no passage based as far as I know. The MCAT however crams biochem, chem, general chem, physics into one section, and genetics, cell bio, microbiology, immunology anatomy in other, the psy and soc etc... this design is not inherently problematic. But the thing is the MCAT will more often than not have 5 of the 10(?) p passages focus on one field and 3 or so on another. This creates bias.

I believe the AAMC knows this. And that is why they count voids toward the life time 7 attempts. Otherwise, people will just keep voiding until they get the set they want.

The only test I know that can test different subject pure reasoning skill okayish is the the ACT science section. There, you can have 0 knowledge of any and the topics and score very high, theoretically. But if you look that test, people with knowledge of the topics still gain significant advantages.

This is an awful idea. The MCAT doesn't really even matter. You just take it to get into medical school, and then you forget that it even exists right after...

@wizzed101 I read through this whole thread twice and I'm still unsure of what anyone stands to gain from this elaborate scheme.

I do have some questions though...your system has people estimating their ability to score within a certain percentile before they take the exam. How can one reasonably be expected to know their ability to score in a specific range on a new exam with no historical score data available to them? And even if they could, how would you expect schools to handle this ladder system of data? Doesn't a system like this select for people with enough resources and time to sit for multiple exams? I barely had time and resources for one exam myself...I scored well, but had I been forced to predict my ability or face a penalty I would have been irresponsible not to aim lower than my ability to ensure that I wouldn't need to retake and lose further time away from work. Did you consider this burden in the development of this idea?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

and can test all the necessary skills/knowledge of the candidate.

This is the problem. The MCAT is purely a critical analysis test of passages given. Knowlegde really doesn't have anything to do with it. The topics don't matter because nobody cares if student X understands ochem a little better than student Y. And again, you assume that the MCAT is some end all, be all with regards to student or physician success. Quite frankly, it doesn't. Doing it this way would not help find better candidates. Also it is extremely prideful to assume that the AAMC doesn't know how to deliver an accurate test.

Are you stupid? More tests means more questions for us to complete. Even if you're not simply adding the questions to one assessment, you're increasing the number of opportunities "n" that a person has to score within the range "x" that they should be scoring at. My gripe and possibly the gripe of many others on here is you give no support for why your proposal to increase "n" will lead to a more accurate assessment "x" (value) to an extent that will justify multiple administrations of the exam (cost). Keep in mind multiple administrations means more staff so there's no way costs can stay the same. In addition, multiple administrations means students will have to continually prime themselves for the exam. While you make the quasi-purist argument that a true assessment should never be primed, but what else do you think students will attempt to do if your system was implemented?

Also your "stick" actually causes more problems. It will lead to some students risking it, getting poor scores by chance, and then ADCOMs will know they don't deserve that low of a score and then you'll hypothetical system would be trashed. Your whole system sounds ingenuous. Instead of making the assessment more accurate, it sounds more like you're trying to punish those who dared to be good enough to score within a high range by upping the ante on them to perform in a tight window or else be *****-slapped by you back down to a score below yours (which is a terrific score by the way).

Last edited:
I don't want to argue with you about fairness and such. I have already addressed it and will repeat it later.
Why did you take it thrice if you hated it so much? And I hope you notice that retaking it thrice hurts your app quite a lot. In my proposed system, you will thrive with your humility and self-awareness. While people like me, @wallobi and @aldol16 could've been be punished severely since we would've picked the 520+ brackets. In my case, I would've scored 500 instead of whatever I had in this system.

This system is objectively better for the average pre-med with the qualities of likable/holistic doctors!

First, I would like to thank you for your concern. I thought of it while doing my daily 60 laps so it's been productive regardless :)

Secondly, I did not advocate for more questions. I rejected that notion. Maybe you meant "more tests." While that appeared to be the case, I also acknowledged that more tests conducted under the current system at best would produce n=3 instead of n=1 for the average candidates, both of which are statistically useless for predicting academic acumen.

The crux of the system is this: it uses a quasi-feedback loop to try to determine the real performance. Essentially, it will try to reconcile the AAMC's prediction (via the MCAT) with a test taker's expectation (via undergrad classes, test prep, practices etc...). The former methodology has been established in the form of the test bank. The more subjective (and thus way way harder to quantify) measures are shifted to test takers. This, however, obviously suffers from severe self-serving bias. To counter that, penalties must be enforced: if one thinks they are in the 510-515 range (which is very very generous) and fail to pass 510 then they will be punished with a 500 or worse (provided that they pick the 510-515 bracket the very first time). This forces a test taker to be as objective as possible in evaluating their performance.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now let me restate the problems I found with the current MCAT. One test does not cover enough topics due to the limit of 59 questions. The AAMC stated that their tests (which are for the most part, very very well designed) regardless of the topics they cover can test the same qualities in all candidates. I am doubtful of their ability to create passages of vastly different topics that can test the same things. And I also questioned their ability to discern difficulties. To systematically process a gigantic data base that is the test bank, they must devise an algorithm. To develop one for automatic processing, one must analyze the solutions created my human. My main gripe is that I cannot envision such solutions. And by logic, if the human solution does exist, whatever the AAMC came up with is questionable.

Let me quote the sample problems that I cannot solve.

Because the core of their statistical quality control lies on the sole claim that they can design tests without approximately the same difficulty and can test all the necessary skills/knowledge of the candidate.

In other standardized tests such as the SAT, GRE, etc... that claim is believable because they test the same subjects and are usually very diverse in topics of questions (no passage based as far as I know. The MCAT however crams biochem, chem, general chem, physics into one section, and genetics, cell bio, microbiology, immunology anatomy in other, the psy and soc etc... this design is not inherently problematic. But the thing is the MCAT will more often than not have 5 of the 10(?) p passages focus on one field and 3 or so on another. This creates bias.

I believe the AAMC knows this. And that is why they count voids toward the life time 7 attempts. Otherwise, people will just keep voiding until they get the set they want.

The only test I know that can test different subject pure reasoning skill okayish is the the ACT science section. There, you can have 0 knowledge of any and the topics and score very high, theoretically. But if you look that test, people with knowledge of the topics still gain significant advantages.

I think your system adds too many problems for really no reason at all. But then again, I still have no idea what you're trying to solve, since I'm just seeing more problems than solutions.

@wizzed101 I read through this whole thread twice and I'm still unsure of what anyone stands to gain from this elaborate scheme.

I do have some questions though...your system has people estimating their ability to score within a certain percentile before they take the exam. How can one reasonably be expected to know their ability to score in a specific range on a new exam with no historical score data available to them? And even if they could, how would you expect schools to handle this ladder system of data? Doesn't a system like this select for people with enough resources and time to sit for multiple exams? I barely had time and resources for one exam myself...I scored well, but had I been forced to predict my ability or face a penalty I would have been irresponsible not to aim lower than my ability to ensure that I wouldn't need to retake and lose further time away from work. Did you consider this burden in the development of this idea?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app
You just kinda know where you stand via the practice tests and your understanding of the materials. Like I said, this is very hard to code/quantify so I leave it to the power of the human brain. Again, the problem is that of self-serving bias. If you did better than your practice test, you will say that it is your "true" range and vice versa. To force test takers to be honest, wagers must be put in place. Now the concern is that my proposal is full of punishments with no reward. The rewards are the safeguarding of lower brackets and the validation of your decision making and self-awareness, both of which should be looked upon very favorably.
If Kayla has a 512 by picking the 510-515 bracket once, I would argue that she would be looked upon more favorably than Jack going from 475-500, 500-510 then failing 510-515 getting a 514.

As for resources, you don't have to pay if you pass the lower brackets. As for time, it is up to you how many exams you want to take. Plus, the time you spent in the lower bracket, despite not knowing exactly how you performed, are productive. In terms of pure number of hours, I don't see it any differently than taking an official practice test. If you hadn't taken the MCAT and the AAMC released a new scored exam tomorrow, I bet that you will have time to sit through it.

Lastly, for your concern of forcing to pick a lower bracket, I would not worry about it because the 475-500 range is HUGE as are the 500-510 and 510-515. The upper brackets 515-519, 519-523, and 523-528 are very risky, as they should be. A prudent person should be fine, just like "nice" pre-meds...

I hope this will assuage some of your concerns.

Are you stupid? More tests means more questions for us to complete. Even if you're not simply adding the questions to one assessment, you're increasing the number of opportunities "n" that a person has to score within the range "x" that they should be scoring at. My gripe and possibly the gripe of many others on here is you give no support for why your proposal to increase "n" will lead to a more accurate assessment "x" (value) to an extent that will justify multiple administrations of the exam (cost). Keep in mind multiple administrations means more staff so there's no way costs can stay the same. In addition, multiple administrations means students will have to continually prime themselves for the exam. While you make the quasi-purist argument that a true assessment should never be primed, but what else do you think students will attempt to do if your system was implemented?

Also your "stick" actually causes more problems. It will lead to some students risking it, getting poor scores by chance, and then ADCOMs will know they don't deserve that low of a score and then you'll hypothetical system would be trashed. Your whole system sounds ingenuous. Instead of making the assessment more accurate, it sounds more like you're trying to punish those who dared to be good enough to score within a high range by upping the ante on them to perform in a tight window or else be *****-slapped by you back down to a score below yours (which is a terrific score by the way).

To add more questions per section to produce the desired effect, based on the scope and depth of the MCAT, I would estimate about >200~ questions per section. And that wouldn't do for obviously reason.

You should read my previous post again. I didn't say that increasing n would improve anything statistically. Because realistically, I cannot expect an n>3, and that is no better than n=1. As for your point about priming, if by priming you meant they would spend even more time studying, I don't see anything wrong with that. If you meant they would just attune to the test without more preparation, I would disagree. I trust the test. I think every passage and questions and beautifully written and unless you have both the knowledge and the analytical skills, you won't do well. If only knowledge is required, the MCAT would be no different than the GRE and so. If only analytical skills are required, we would be looking at ACT 2.0. Let me make it clear. I would agree with the AAMC that if a test taker had done excellently in 5 physics passages and 3 acid-base passages, they have excellent analytical skills and physics and chem knowledge. But to say that the same person would possess the same level of knowledge in O.chem and biochem is kinda iffy if not absurd. Are we looking the MCAT or ACT 2.0? The MCAT is like a puzzle except that you have to bring your own pieces. And that is what makes it good. If the goal is to ensure that a test taker has almost all the necessary pieces to solve any puzzle, I don't believe it has been achieved.

As for cost, nothing really changes. As far as an individual is concerned, they just walk in a test center as they used to do. The staffs do the same thing. A 523-526 takes the same exam as a 500-510 in the same room. I don't think creating a new UI and some pamphlets explaining the new system would cost that much. I think the AAMC cares about the integrity of the test, evidently by their counting voids attempts toward the lifetime number when they could've let people void without limit till they get the topics they want and get lots money.

And if a student makes a bad decision while the proposed system is equipped amble safety check, that is on them. The system is designed to counter "chance" to put it crudely. Plus, 475-500, 500-510 and 510-515 and arguably 515-519 are not "tight windows."
You see I have nothing to gain from this. My weakest section was CARS and my system is not designed to touch CARS. I averaged 131 in the other 3 under a self-inflicted condition. Call me haughty, but if I gave anyone the stuffs I gave myself after the C/P section (I realized too late 1 passage into CARS,which I would be anything in the world that I did not miss a single question in that passage-everything was so clear, I was still high from how good I felt after C/P :( ), I doubt that they would've performed better. I think out of the 4, CARS is the only one that can truly measure what is intended.

I think your system adds too many problems for really no reason at all. But then again, I still have no idea what you're trying to solve, since I'm just seeing more problems than solutions.

Well, the fact is that we'd rather not take the MCAT if we don't have to. So when you asked why, the answer depends on who you ask.
If you asked premeds who just want to get to any medical school and become a doctor, they would rather do away with the test or just replace it with a P/F version.
If you asked the more competitive ones, the MCAT is one way to distinguish themselves, to show that they are the ****.

But I don't have to tell you whose opinions are prevailing the eyes of those that matters. So, on the very surface level, the change should be good because it makes the test every more competitive. For adcoms, more data are always welcomed. And that's pretty much it. And if you have any doubt about the trend of this whole process, @gyngyn mentioned in another thread that the AAMC has already conducted research for a different kind of test.

And if you have any doubt about the trend of this whole process, @gyngyn mentioned in another thread that the AAMC has already conducted research for a different kind of test.
I was referring to a situational judgement test (that has yet to be validated).
It is intended to replace/augment the interview, not the MCAT.
The AAMC has actually gone in the other direction, limiting the number of lifetime MCAT tries to seven. There was no limit before.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've seen you make this argument about consistency quite often, and I have to put in my two cents about it. In my experience prepping for the test, my initial practice tests were around 518 and steadily rose to 522-524 by the time I took the actual test, and then my actual score dropped to 516 (8 points lower than my most recent practice test, which was an official AAMC test). I'm virtually positive that test anxiety didn't play any significant role, and all my practice tests were conducted under extremely realistic testing conditions. With practice tests that were consistently in the high 99th percentile in the last couple months of my prep, and then such a significant drop on the actual test day to the 95th percentile (based on what I largely believe to be unlucky guesses on obscure trivia that I likely wouldn't have even covered if given an extra few hundred hours of study time), I don't think the test is quite as consistent as you believe it to be. I'm saying this because you've frequently claimed that multiple practice test scores specifically within the 520+ range should be repeatable with a high level of certainty, and I don't think I have to explain how significant a 4.8 percentile drop is at the far right end of the bell curve of test scores. (I've also seen plenty of people score 8 points higher than their practice tests, but that might be beside your point since you're mostly claiming that high scores should be consistent, not necessarily that low scores should be as consistent too.) Granted there don't tend to be many trivia questions, but there are just enough so that unlucky test-takers who usually score 520+ can drop 1-2 points on each section, and up to ~4 points on the psych/soc section which is more trivia-based.

My argument is not that the practice tests will predict your score to any arbitrary degree of certainty although they are the best out there in terms of what you have available to you. My argument is that if you study such that you understand all topics on the MCAT outline to at least a 7/10 depth (0 being no knowledge and 10 being PhD-level knowledge) and take the actual exam multiple times, your scores will not deviate much from each other unless the conditions are significantly different (unfortunate circumstances or intense prep for the second round). This is why people who take the exam multiple times within a very short time period (the next or second next test date from their first test date) tend to score very similarly. This is also why you hear the advice that you shouldn't rush into it the second time. There's something to be said about people who do the same thing ten times and expect a different result (that's my opinion of those people too).

Two points with regard to the trivia questions. 1) If one is at adequate depth on all topics, one should not be having difficulty with the trivia questions and 2) if the trivia questions are particularly obscure, those questions will be weighted less and the (established) curve will reflect that. "Luck" should not be a factor in the first place if one is at adequate depth on the topics covered. If one is not, then "luck" comes into play - but that's not the exam's fault.

I think you're coming at this issue with an uncommon and slightly unrealistic perspective, because you're not an average MCAT-taker by any stretch of the imagination. This has led you to make two claims, one of which is fair while the other is inaccurate. Your claim that it's possible to prep enough to guarantee a 520+ score is true for the most part (at least for a lot of people). I've seen your posts in the MCAT Q&A forum, and your level of understanding of all the material is unreal. You clearly understand virtually every concept so thoroughly that your 526 is no surprise and is certainly almost guaranteed to be repeated no matter how many times you take the test. What you don't account for is that it's very possible to score 520+ on a consistent basis without the level of understanding that you have. Since there are so few good practice tests available, a sample size of ~5 practice tests with scores of 520+ simply isn't large enough to guarantee a 520+ score on the real thing. I'm sure my situation was rare, but it certainly isn't unprecedented and probably not all that uncommon.

Again, I never said that the practice exams will guarantee your score within X range. I said that if one takes the exam multiple times, under conditions ceteris paribus (but different versions of the exam), then those scores will be very close to each other. Given, of course, that one has the adequate depth on the topics tested. What I mean by this is that if you go into the test knowing only that mitosis splits a cell, then you shouldn't expect to do well on discretes related to mitosis. That's not the test's fault. It's yours for not knowing what mitosis is at sufficient depth.

Also, I generally believe that it's possible to prep very hard to get to the 515-520 range but to get 520+, one must already have strong analytical reasoning skills (on top of sufficient content knowledge).

tl;dr if the legendary @aldol16 scored sub-520 on the real thing, it would be an utter fluke, but I don't think it's too unlikely for consistent 520+ scorers on practice tests to drop below 520 on the real thing just based on variations of the test and that person's strengths and weaknesses. You can have plenty of holes in your knowledge while consistently scoring very high on practice tests.

You can have many holes in your knowledge and score high on the practice tests but that is because test-takers take the practice tests too literally. The FL does not represent all of the topics tested on the MCAT. That's what the outline is there for. Maybe some people's undergraduate exams were done that way where practice tests were basically the actual test but with different numbers/names, but in most cases, each "practice test" we give out in a course will assess a student's proficiency in a subset of the skills learned in that class. We can't assess every single topic because that would take far too long. So we don't tell the student which topics we will test on but give them a study guide and practice exams. It would be foolish to take a few practice exams and assume that one will do well just because one does well on a practice exam. The right way to go about it is to study all the material from the study guide and then take the practice exams. Then, if one consistently scores well on those, then one should do well on the exam. Do you understand the difference?

I was referring to a situational judgement test (that has yet to be validated).
It is intended to replace/augment the interview, not the MCAT.
The AAMC has actually gone in the other direction, limiting the number of lifetime MCAT tries to seven. There was no limit before.
I meant that the process is getting more competitive as more means of differentiation are introduced. And I didn't know that. Thanks for the trivia.

2) if the trivia questions are particularly obscure, those questions will be weighted less and the (established) curve will reflect that.

I don't want to drag on arguing with you since we are both unlikely to agree. But how do you define what is trivial. You must think that Coumadin preventing clotting is obscure and AUG as the start codon is not. Why? I would argue that no one doing anything productive needs to know about AUG on top of their heads.

What I can see here is that you're trying to make attempts representative of a person's arrogance or belief that they can score higher. Did you think that you'd also be screening out people that aren't arrogant, but confident and ambitious? If I'm following your plan correctly, which is proving to be pretty hard to wrap around my head, a person fails once they don't meet the score requirements for the next bracket. What if in your system, a person just has a bad test day and doesn't make it into the next bracket? Luck and chance still plays a factor in your system. Every single test we will ever take will have luck involved. Luck and chance are mitigated with your preparation and ability to recognize and alleviate your weaknesses. Having to do this more than once in a year isn't only tiring, but makes for an extremely inconvenient exam that has to be consistently prepared for and written several times throughout the year concurrently with classes and ECs. Some people don't have the luxury of this kind of time.

If you are a stellar student and study well you will score high. If you are an average student, you will have an average score. 1 person might get lucky and score much higher than they're supposed to but this does not happen as often as you think and does not affect you at all in the long run.

My argument is not that the practice tests will predict your score to any arbitrary degree of certainty although they are the best out there in terms of what you have available to you. My argument is that if you study such that you understand all topics on the MCAT outline to at least a 7/10 depth (0 being no knowledge and 10 being PhD-level knowledge) and take the actual exam multiple times, your scores will not deviate much from each other unless the conditions are significantly different (unfortunate circumstances or intense prep for the second round). This is why people who take the exam multiple times within a very short time period (the next or second next test date from their first test date) tend to score very similarly. This is also why you hear the advice that you shouldn't rush into it the second time. There's something to be said about people who do the same thing ten times and expect a different result (that's my opinion of those people too).

Two points with regard to the trivia questions. 1) If one is at adequate depth on all topics, one should not be having difficulty with the trivia questions and 2) if the trivia questions are particularly obscure, those questions will be weighted less and the (established) curve will reflect that. "Luck" should not be a factor in the first place if one is at adequate depth on the topics covered. If one is not, then "luck" comes into play - but that's not the exam's fault.

Again, I never said that the practice exams will guarantee your score within X range. I said that if one takes the exam multiple times, under conditions ceteris paribus (but different versions of the exam), then those scores will be very close to each other. Given, of course, that one has the adequate depth on the topics tested. What I mean by this is that if you go into the test knowing only that mitosis splits a cell, then you shouldn't expect to do well on discretes related to mitosis. That's not the test's fault. It's yours for not knowing what mitosis is at sufficient depth.

Also, I generally believe that it's possible to prep very hard to get to the 515-520 range but to get 520+, one must already have strong analytical reasoning skills (on top of sufficient content knowledge).

You can have many holes in your knowledge and score high on the practice tests but that is because test-takers take the practice tests too literally. The FL does not represent all of the topics tested on the MCAT. That's what the outline is there for. Maybe some people's undergraduate exams were done that way where practice tests were basically the actual test but with different numbers/names, but in most cases, each "practice test" we give out in a course will assess a student's proficiency in a subset of the skills learned in that class. We can't assess every single topic because that would take far too long. So we don't tell the student which topics we will test on but give them a study guide and practice exams. It would be foolish to take a few practice exams and assume that one will do well just because one does well on a practice exam. The right way to go about it is to study all the material from the study guide and then take the practice exams. Then, if one consistently scores well on those, then one should do well on the exam. Do you understand the difference?
So your only point is that if you study all the potentially testable material really thoroughly and have really strong analytical reasoning skills, then you're gonna score very well consistently? Isn't that beyond obvious? Of course you're going to get a great score if you understand all the material and have great reasoning skills. Who are you disagreeing with by making that claim so frequently?

So your only point is that if you study all the potentially testable material really thoroughly and have really strong analytical reasoning skills, then you're gonna score very well consistently? Isn't that beyond obvious? Of course you're going to get a great score if you understand all the material and have great reasoning skills. Who are you disagreeing with by making that claim so frequently?

Adequately is a better word than thoroughly. A PhD-level understanding is not necessary. Not even the knowledge of a first-year graduate student, actually. I'm disagreeing with OP, or more exactly, those who consistently argue that randomness/luck plays a huge factor even if a candidate has adequate knowledge in all topics on the MCAT outline.

This is the ****ing worst idea and post I've ever read

Reactions: 5 users
Given OP's aptitude for creating problems that don't exist and then being unable to solve them, I would say they have a very promising career in politics waiting for them

Reactions: 6 users
Adequately is a better word than thoroughly. A PhD-level understanding is not necessary. Not even the knowledge of a first-year graduate student, actually. I'm disagreeing with OP, or more exactly, those who consistently argue that randomness/luck plays a huge factor even if a candidate has adequate knowledge in all topics on the MCAT outline.
Well of course a PhD-level understanding isn't necessary, the test is designed for students who've taken a few intro undergrad science courses. If by "adequate" you mean "a level of understanding that's sufficient to get any questions on that topic correct," then it's a circular argument. You're really just saying that if you have enough knowledge on a topic to get questions on that topic right, then you'll get questions on that topic right. Obviously. Again, what's your point?

Your argument only makes sense within the tiny group of people who are at the far right of the bell curve, who understand virtually everything and have great reasoning skills. They'll get 520+ every time; how could they not? But almost no one has the resources or time to cover everything on the MCAT outline "adequately" enough for that depth of knowledge, so they cover the high-yield areas as well as they can, leaving behind plenty of areas where they have weaknesses that can potentially be exploited by variations in the particular test they happen to take. How else do you explain 8-point variations between official practice tests and actual tests, even from the 99th percentile to the 95th or vice versa? For almost everyone, luck plays a significant role, not only for trivia questions (e.g. What's the name of the psychologist who came up with xyz theory? (completely non-conceptual stuff)), but also for general strengths and weaknesses (e.g. someone whose C/P section focuses heavily on their weakest areas of understanding of physics without covering any o-chem reactions whatsoever).

When people refer to 520+ scores being lucky, they're not referring to your 526. Your 520+ is an unusual type. They're referring to the enormous number of people whose tests happened to fit their strengths and avoid their weaknesses in a lucky way, even though they didn't cover every single possible topic on the MCAT outline "adequately."

I think you keep posting these things because you feel that the merit of your score is being called into question when people bring up the luck involved in high scores. They're not referring to you or your score; you're a rare breed, even among very high scorers.

I think that OP simply wants to people to be tested on everything they've learned, not a sampling.

Well of course a PhD-level understanding isn't necessary, the test is designed for students who've taken a few intro undergrad science courses. If by "adequate" you mean "a level of understanding that's sufficient to get any questions on that topic correct," then it's a circular argument. You're really just saying that if you have enough knowledge on a topic to get questions on that topic right, then you'll get questions on that topic right. Obviously. Again, what's your point?

Your argument only makes sense within the tiny group of people who are at the far right of the bell curve, who understand virtually everything and have great reasoning skills. They'll get 520+ every time; how could they not? But almost no one has the resources or time to cover everything on the MCAT outline "adequately" enough for that depth of knowledge, so they cover the high-yield areas as well as they can, leaving behind plenty of areas where they have weaknesses that can potentially be exploited by variations in the particular test they happen to take. How else do you explain 8-point variations between official practice tests and actual tests, even from the 99th percentile to the 95th or vice versa? For almost everyone, luck plays a significant role, not only for trivia questions (e.g. What's the name of the psychologist who came up with xyz theory? (completely non-conceptual stuff)), but also for general strengths and weaknesses (e.g. someone whose C/P section focuses heavily on their weakest areas of understanding of physics without covering any o-chem reactions whatsoever).

When people refer to 520+ scores being lucky, they're not referring to your 526. Your 520+ is an unusual type. They're referring to the enormous number of people whose tests happened to fit their strengths and avoid their weaknesses in a lucky way, even though they didn't cover every single possible topic on the MCAT outline "adequately."

I think you keep posting these things because you feel that the merit of your score is being called into question when people bring up the luck involved in high scores. They're not referring to you or your score; you're a rare breed, even among very high scorers.
Idk man. Imo, I had huge content gaps. But I got a 520 on the AAMC sample test. And then a 520 on the AAMC scored test. And then a 520 on the real thing.
I don't think the MCAT is as big on content as you think it is.

Idk man. Imo, I had huge content gaps. But I got a 520 on the AAMC sample test. And then a 520 on the AAMC scored test. And then a 520 on the real thing.
You always somehow find a way to disclose your 520 MCAT score lol. Like you could just say "I got the same score on the sample test, scored test, and real thing"...

You always somehow find a way to disclose your 520 MCAT score lol. Like you could just say "I got the same score on the sample test, scored test, and real thing"...
Oh but this time it was actually relevant lol

No, you didn't get a 520 on the sample test. That test only gives you percentages, not a score out of 528.

I did indeed. I gave you the conversion out of simplicity but my percentages were 90%,91%,90%,90%.

This was the converter I used : http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...score-conversion-sheet.1149516/#post-17326599
Those percentages give a 521, not a 520. I don't know if I trust you man.

Either way, it doesn't matter. We're discussing the frequency with which scores are inconsistent, so anecdotal evidence about consistent scores is irrelevant. Obviously there will be a sizable group of people with consistent scores.

Those percentages give a 521, not a 520. I don't know if I trust you man.

Either way, it doesn't matter. We're discussing the frequency with which scores are inconsistent, so anecdotal evidence about consistent scores is irrelevant. Obviously there will be a sizable group of people with consistent scores.
Dude I literally gave you a screenshot of my results lol. Honestly I didn't bother recalculating it but I knew it was nearly identical.
But I agree that anecdotal evidence is not that important, I just wanted to throw my experience in the ring.

What I can see here is that you're trying to make attempts representative of a person's arrogance or belief that they can score higher. Did you think that you'd also be screening out people that aren't arrogant, but confident and ambitious? If I'm following your plan correctly, which is proving to be pretty hard to wrap around my head, a person fails once they don't meet the score requirements for the next bracket. What if in your system, a person just has a bad test day and doesn't make it into the next bracket? Luck and chance still plays a factor in your system. Every single test we will ever take will have luck involved. Luck and chance are mitigated with your preparation and ability to recognize and alleviate your weaknesses. Having to do this more than once in a year isn't only tiring, but makes for an extremely inconvenient exam that has to be consistently prepared for and written several times throughout the year concurrently with classes and ECs. Some people don't have the luxury of this kind of time.

If you are a stellar student and study well you will score high. If you are an average student, you will have an average score. 1 person might get lucky and score much higher than they're supposed to but this does not happen as often as you think and does not affect you at all in the long run.
Failed is a bad choice of word. It just means that you cannot advance further within that year. As for your concern about "bad day," remember that the current system doesn't address that. In my system, you have more than one shot if you are prudent. Besides, I think bad day only happens to first time test takers (like in my case, horrible day!). With my proposal, that can be mitigated somewhat: you should pass your lower bracket which enables you to advance free of charge.

Again, you don't have to take it more than one, just like you are not forced to take practice test. I find this argument odd because like I've said, you WILL have time to take the AAMC official practice tests whenever they are released and if the AAMC had it that a new MCAT score automatically erased the previous one, you WILL take it as many times until you get the high score.

As for your last comment, feel free to read my previous post to see why I had problems with the way things are tested. And unlike someone here, I don't buy the "every version of the MCAT should test the same things" without proof. And another proof of that can be found be the way the test is set up: there are a C/P section and a B/S section. My question to all you doubters is very simple: why even separate them in the first place? If you think that scientific reasoning skills will carry the day in those sections (while CARS uses a different set of reasoning skills, so there are 2 different kinds of logic- yea right...), the the C/P section and B/S section should test "the same thing." Why? Because genetics is as similar to microbiology as kinematics to wave, and wave to microbiology and genetics to kinematics etc. You get the idea.

The MCAT is designed to test both knowledge AND reasoning skills. The current design of the test doesn't adequately test the former. Just disregard your bias toward "people that can think" and against "drones that memorize stuffs" or vice versa. The current format doesn't do it.

If one covers all of the MCAT outline, then I contend that luck should have no role in it. One should have sufficient command of the material - adequate command that would give one an "A" range grade in a rigorous version of the undergraduate class that the material corresponds to. Anything less and sure, "luck" will have a role to play. But that's not anyone's fault but the test-taker's. Focusing on high-yield topics is a great way to approach the test - don't get me wrong. In fact, I would say that if one covers only the high-yield topics and has excellent analytical reasoning abilities, then one should also be able to consistently score 520+. That is my opinion because the new MCAT de-emphasizes content recall and instead focuses more on reasoning.

8-point variations between practice test and actual test can be accounted for by a variety of factors, none of them necessarily having to be "luck." Immediately jumping to the "luck" conclusion before taking into account the others is like going to a Nobel laureate and immediately concluding that he/she won the prize because of "luck" and not because of the substantial work that he/she did that led to the Nobel Prize. The 8-point discrepancy, for example, could be accounted for by the fact that somebody who has taken the AAMC FL has taken a simulated exam under exam conditions (hopefully) and thus would be reasonably expected to do better since they have already seen the format of the exam (assuming it's a +8 point swing). Conversely, if it's a -8 point swing, then it may be due to the student studying to the practice test and not to the actual test. That is, studying only the material that is tested on the AAMC FLs is not a good way to study for the exam. A good way is to study the material that's on the MCAT outline and only then to take the AAMC FLs.

My argument about consistency in score has been made elsewhere, in the "MCAT Study Outline" thread and I will not recapitulate it here further.

I have no adequacy insecurities - I make my argument because it is what I know from experience and not because I feel that people are attacking my score. I could care less about my score. It's one metric out of many that will be used to evaluate me. I care about giving quality advice back to current test-takers so that they might benefit.

The OP reads like you got some questions you didn't know the answer to on your MCAT and thought that it was unfair.

"May not adequately demonstrate the strengths of each candidate" AKA if I'd gotten a testing form which just hit my strengths I wouldn't have any problems with the MCAT.

I think this is spot on.

I'm on-board with everyone else. There's no need to turn this into the Hunger Games. As someone already mentioned, MCAT is just the first of many battles.

Failed is a bad choice of word. It just means that you cannot advance further within that year. As for your concern about "bad day," remember that the current system doesn't address that. In my system, you have more than one shot if you are prudent. Besides, I think bad day only happens to first time test takers (like in my case, horrible day!). With my proposal, that can be mitigated somewhat: you should pass your lower bracket which enables you to advance free of charge.

Again, you don't have to take it more than one, just like you are not forced to take practice test. I find this argument odd because like I've said, you WILL have time to take the AAMC official practice tests whenever they are released and if the AAMC had it that a new MCAT score automatically erased the previous one, you WILL take it as many times until you get the high score.

As for your last comment, feel free to read my previous post to see why I had problems with the way things are tested. And unlike someone here, I don't buy the "every version of the MCAT should test the same things" without proof. And another proof of that can be found be the way the test is set up: there are a C/P section and a B/S section. My question to all you doubters is very simple: why even separate them in the first place? If you think that scientific reasoning skills will carry the day in those sections (while CARS uses a different set of reasoning skills, so there are 2 different kinds of logic- yea right...), the the C/P section and B/S section should test "the same thing." Why? Because genetics is as similar to microbiology as kinematics to wave, and wave to microbiology and genetics to kinematics etc. You get the idea.

The MCAT is designed to test both knowledge AND reasoning skills. The current design of the test doesn't adequately test the former. Just disregard your bias toward "people that can think" and against "drones that memorize stuffs" or vice versa. The current format doesn't do it.

I always thought the MCAT was designed more on critical thinking skills and I do believe that it tests knowledge to a great extent. You can have differing opinions. It still doesn't account for the fact that your proposal will be cumbersome and tiring.

Last edited:
I would like to bump this thread to remind people that statistics and confident intervals mean jack**** if the underlying assumptions are questionable, no matter how much resources are spent, how authoritative is the source. Make a better MCAT!

But haven't there been findings that if you score at least a 26 you will be successful in medical school?

Don't think that many people got in med school with less than a 26, or a 26, for that matter :)

Everyone is ****ting on this OP but at least he/she gave an option. There is ALWAYS room for improvement...