Pros/Cons Michigan SPH?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chinchillin

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am still having the toughest decision regarding which school to choose. I'd like to hear more about Michigan's SPH, so if anyone has any positive/negative words to say about the school, please do! Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I also applied to HBHE and attended UMSPH's Admitted Students Day. I'm not set on Michigan yet, but I'm sort of leaning that way at this point in my decision-making process. I really, really like that Michigan's program is 60 credit hours (vs. Columbia, which is 45). 30 of those hours have to be in HBHE, which leaves 30 hours for other coursework. This amount of flexibility is awesome. What's more, you can take classes outside of the SPH (i.e. women's studies, the business school, journalism, and the list goes on). Michigan is a huge state school, which means that there are tons of courses to choose from (I went to a similarly huge state school for undergrad and love this feature of big, public academic institutions).

I hope this helps. These are definitely the main points that are swaying me toward UMSPH.