Prostate Brachy Resource

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted4401

So, when you guys describe the prostate seed implantation to a patient, do you show any sort of video or anything about the procedure? I do a verbal description of the procedure, start-to-end, and make some stick figure drawings, but thought it would be nice to throw on a video and show them on the iPad. Is there one that you guys have found to be short, educational, and instructive?

Thanks
Simul

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not aware of any video, but Demanes' CET website has some diagrams and illustrations that may be useful.

I'm also curious what others' experience is with HDR versus LDR for prostate. I am just finishing my brachy rotation and have only done HDR (probably 30+ individual implants)...

http://www.cetmc.com/prostate.html#prostate_hdr_brachy

There may some clinical advantages to HDR, but it's really hard to get that going in the community. In a free-standing facility, nearly impossible, but if you had a dedicated urologist partner, you could get it going at a hospital. Also, depending on fractionation, it could involve a hospital admission, and that's another thing patients and physicians don't really like. Finally, If I remember right, there are some billing issues involved with multiple implants and I think that's another reason people don't really do it.

I did find it interesting that in residency, the urologists tended to put the needles in and do a cysto at the end. Where I work, they don't really do anything at all, except for polite conversation and taking their crack at contouring the prostate on the ultrasound.

Thanks for the link!
Simul