Prosthetic Rehab

Started by PTpro
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

PTpro

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I've been thinking about prosthetic rehab as I'm getting ready to start school next year and am looking to see if anyone has any feedback on it as a clinical rotation and/or and a career setting.
 
S/he probably means rehab of patients with upper/lower limb amputation, from pre-prosthetic to functional use.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Military seems like you're most likely bet to have a career built primarily around these kind of patients. I would think that in general PT jobs dedicated solely to prosthetics would be pretty far and few between.
 
They definitely do exist in the inpatient rehab settings and on a smaller scale the outpatient setting.

There are specific floors/wings of rehab hospitals devoted to this.

I think it would be more difficult to do this on an outpatient basis unless you are part of a big regional healthcare system and are part of a prosthetics team which gets most of the patients with prosthesis from a specific population area. This exists where I work.